Daniel CormierDaniel Cormier will fight for the final time as a heavyweight at UFC 166 when he faces Roy Nelson in the co-main event in Houston on Saturday. Following the fight, the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Champion will drop down to the light heavyweight division.

Before signing with the UFC, Cormier expressed his desire to transition to the 205-pound weight class and challenge champion Jon Jones for the title. Despite his intention of leaving the heavyweight division, the former Olympic wrestler isn’t looking too far ahead, or past Nelson.

“As a professional athlete, you can’t look past anyone,” Cormier told MMAWeekly.com. “Roy Nelson could put me out with one punch. I’m fully aware of that. Roy Nelson could submit me. Roy Nelson could put me in a crucifix as he did everyone else on The Ultimate Fighter. I’ve been watching him since then.”

The undefeated Cormier has stated that he wants an immediate title shot when he drops down to light heavyweight, but has backed off those comments recently. Immediate title shot or not, all of his plans in the light heavyweight division go up in smoke if he loses to Nelson, and Cormier expects a tough fight.

“I think it’s a great match-up. He presents a lot of problems for me because he’s my size. He’s not tall, so he’s going to be a little harder to take down,” said the 34-year-old athlete. “He’s got very good jiu-jitsu which will balance out my wrestling. And not only does he do that well, he gets up very well, so I will have to be in better shape because if I’m going to take him down I’m going to have do it over and over again, and he’s durable.

“He presents a lot of problems. It’s going to be a tough fight for me,” added Cormier.

Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson rematch headlines UFC 210 in Buffalo

A light heavyweight title fight will headline UFC 210.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Returns in UFC 210 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

This is one time where waiting pays off, as light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier returns at UFC 210 to put his belt on the line. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson 2 Announced for UFC 210: Details, Reaction

The UFC announced Wednesday that Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson will meet in a rematch of their May 2015 clash at UFC 210 in Buffalo, New York, on April 8. Cormier (18-1) secured a victory via su read news >>

Miesha Tate and Daniel Cormier Butt Heads Over Ronda Rousey's Next Move (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier and Miesha Tate clash over what the next best move is for former UFC champion Ronda Rousey. read news >>

Jon Jones Likely to Face Daniel Cormier-Anthony Johnson Winner, Says Dana White

Jon Jones may have a nice gift waiting for him when he comes back from his yearlong suspension: a UFC light heavyweight championship fight. In an interview on the UFC Unfiltered podcast (h/t FoxSport read news >>

Jon Anik takes helm for UFC 208 pay-per-view broadcast with Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier

With longtime UFC play-by-play voice Mike Goldberg gone from the broadcast table after UFC 207 in December, the promotion had some shoes to fill. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 25 'Redemption' Cast Revealed | MMAWeekly.com

14 former cast members will compete for redemption in the tournament comprised of welterweights and the largest cash prize in the show’s history. read news >>