#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #GSP #Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 55

daniel-cormier-25.jpgSAN JOSE, Calif. – At 34 years old, Daniel Cormier knows time isn’t on his side. But if he does go through with a potential move down to light heavyweight, he doesn’t want an immediate title shot.

Sure, if victorious over heavyweight Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) in Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7's co-headliner, Cormier (11-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has talked about a potential move down to light heavyweight. Despite serious weight-cutting issues that previously derailed his second Olympic run, Cormier is gaining confidence that he could get down to 205 pounds in a safe way.

However, he knows it’ll come with a learning curve, and it’s a big reason he’s forced himself to tap the brakes on a potential title fight with current light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

“At first, I was like so emotionally tied to that fight,” he today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I was like, ‘I want to fight Jon Jones. I want to be in that division and fight him immediately.’ But I’m not a very impulsive guy. I kind of think things through.

“I’ve thought about it, and I wouldn’t be opposed to fighting one time before then just to see how my body reacts to the weight cut. It’d be very difficult to fight him in my very first fight (at light heavyweight), in a five-round fight, and my first time down in the weight and everything. As I’ve thought about it, I kind of feel it’d be in our best interest to maybe take a fight.”

If he defeats Mir in their network-televised bout at San Jose, Calif.’s HP Pavilion, Cormier said he, his management team and trainers will talk to UFC officials about what’s next. However, if he does eventually get a shot against Jones, who first has to get by Chael Sonnen next week at UFC 159, Cormier doesn’t want to waste the opportunity or have to stress about the unknowns.

“What if it doesn’t work out well?” he asked. “What if I get in a fight with a guy and I can’t do anything but wrestle him because my arms are tired and my body’s just not responding to the weight cut? I don’t want that guy to be Jon Jones. Seriously, can you imagine standing in there against him and not feeling your best? That would be horrible.”

But if he does decide to try his luck in the lighter division, Cormier said he’s going to be diligent about it. If he stays at heavyweight, he wants another fight in two or three months. But if he makes the plunge to light heavyweight, he could take off up to half a year to assure he makes the drop the best and safest way possible.

Still, he admits it’s a topic best discussed after Saturday’s fight. He hasn’t formed a definitive game plan simply because he’s so centered on the task at hand.

“Right now, I’m so focused on Frank, I haven’t really thought about the 205 thing,” he said. “… I’ve been so thorough in my preparation for Frank that 205 really hasn’t been on my radar. I’ll think about that whenever this is done.”

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Daniel Cormier Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Volkan Oezdemir's attempt to troll UFC champ Daniel Cormier kind of backfired

Volkan Oezdemir tried to use Luke Rockhold to troll UFC champ Daniel Cormier, but it backfired.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier: UFC title bout vs. Volkan Oezdemir nearly official, will show him 'new level'

Daniel Cormier says it won’t be long before a formal date and location are announced for his title defense against Volkan Oezdemir.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Cormier Previews Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis UFC Norfolk Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier previews the UFC Fight Night Norfolk main event featuring lightweights Dustin Poirier and Anthony Pettis. read news >>

Daniel Cormier, John Gooden on the call for Saturday's UFC Fight Night 119 in Brazil

Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 119 event will feature a rare broadcast duo.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

James Krause returning to lightweight at UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis

After much deliberation, James Krause will return to 155 pounds for his next UFC bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Nadia Kassem wants Paige VanZant flyweight fight after missing 115 pounds in UFC debut

Nadia Kassem acknowledged that missing 115 pounds was “not professional,” but now she wants Paige VanZant to fight her at flyweight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Daniel Cormier to 'go to the next guy' if Volkan Oezdemir's legal woes scrap UFC title fight

• a day ago

UFC champ Daniel Cormier is ready for the next man up if Volkan Oezdemir’s legal woes scraps their planned UFC title fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir on UFC title shot vs. Daniel Cormier: 'Just waiting on a contract to sign'

UFC light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir just needs to sign the paper to make his fight with champ Daniel Cormier official.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Cormier tweeted something peculiar about Tony Ferguson, Khabib Nurmagomedov

• 4 hours ago

Did the UFC try to book Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov for UFC 219?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor's lethal hands will be 'a lot better' upon UFC return, coach John Kavanagh says

• 3 hours ago

Six months of boxing training for Floyd Mayweather should benefit Conor McGregor in a big way when he returns to the UFC.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>