daniel-cormier-25.jpgSAN JOSE, Calif. – At 34 years old, Daniel Cormier knows time isn’t on his side. But if he does go through with a potential move down to light heavyweight, he doesn’t want an immediate title shot.

Sure, if victorious over heavyweight Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) in Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7's co-headliner, Cormier (11-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has talked about a potential move down to light heavyweight. Despite serious weight-cutting issues that previously derailed his second Olympic run, Cormier is gaining confidence that he could get down to 205 pounds in a safe way.

However, he knows it’ll come with a learning curve, and it’s a big reason he’s forced himself to tap the brakes on a potential title fight with current light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

“At first, I was like so emotionally tied to that fight,” he today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I was like, ‘I want to fight Jon Jones. I want to be in that division and fight him immediately.’ But I’m not a very impulsive guy. I kind of think things through.

“I’ve thought about it, and I wouldn’t be opposed to fighting one time before then just to see how my body reacts to the weight cut. It’d be very difficult to fight him in my very first fight (at light heavyweight), in a five-round fight, and my first time down in the weight and everything. As I’ve thought about it, I kind of feel it’d be in our best interest to maybe take a fight.”

If he defeats Mir in their network-televised bout at San Jose, Calif.’s HP Pavilion, Cormier said he, his management team and trainers will talk to UFC officials about what’s next. However, if he does eventually get a shot against Jones, who first has to get by Chael Sonnen next week at UFC 159, Cormier doesn’t want to waste the opportunity or have to stress about the unknowns.

“What if it doesn’t work out well?” he asked. “What if I get in a fight with a guy and I can’t do anything but wrestle him because my arms are tired and my body’s just not responding to the weight cut? I don’t want that guy to be Jon Jones. Seriously, can you imagine standing in there against him and not feeling your best? That would be horrible.”

But if he does decide to try his luck in the lighter division, Cormier said he’s going to be diligent about it. If he stays at heavyweight, he wants another fight in two or three months. But if he makes the plunge to light heavyweight, he could take off up to half a year to assure he makes the drop the best and safest way possible.

Still, he admits it’s a topic best discussed after Saturday’s fight. He hasn’t formed a definitive game plan simply because he’s so centered on the task at hand.

“Right now, I’m so focused on Frank, I haven’t really thought about the 205 thing,” he said. “… I’ve been so thorough in my preparation for Frank that 205 really hasn’t been on my radar. I’ll think about that whenever this is done.”

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson rematch headlines UFC 210 in Buffalo

A light heavyweight title fight will headline UFC 210.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Returns in UFC 210 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

This is one time where waiting pays off, as light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier returns at UFC 210 to put his belt on the line. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson 2 Announced for UFC 210: Details, Reaction

The UFC announced Wednesday that Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson will meet in a rematch of their May 2015 clash at UFC 210 in Buffalo, New York, on April 8. Cormier (18-1) secured a victory via su read news >>

UFC Bantamweight Champ Amanda Nunes Wants to Go to 145 Pounds (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes wants the winner of the inaugural UFC featherweight title fight between Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie for her next fight. read news >>

Jon Anik takes helm for UFC 208 pay-per-view broadcast with Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier

With longtime UFC play-by-play voice Mike Goldberg gone from the broadcast table after UFC 207 in December, the promotion had some shoes to fill. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 208's Jim Miller: 'I can beat anybody that weighs in at 155 pounds,' including Conor McGregor

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – UFC veteran Jim Miller is back to feeling at his best, and in his opinion, that’s very bad news for the rest of the UFC lightweight division.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>

UFC 208's Germaine de Randamie: I knocked out a guy who had 40 pounds on me – I have the credentials

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Germaine de Randamie said people who question whether she deserves a shot at the inaugural UFC women’s featherweight title don’t know their history.Filed under: Featured, Featured Vi read news >>

Santiago Ponzinibbio 'ready for everything and everyone at 170 pounds' after UFC Fight Night 105 win

• 13 hours ago

HALIFAX – Santiago Ponzinibbio feels he’s worthy of a top-10 fight after picking up his fourth consecutive victory at UFC Fight Night 105.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Recapping UFC Fight Night 105 and Bellator 172

• 12 hours ago

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT), and the guys are taking your calls as they recap this weekend’s busy schedule.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Johny Hendricks Wants Georges St. Pierre Fight, Says He Would 'Beat His Face In'

• 12 hours ago

New UFC middleweight Johny Hendricks has called on the organisation to pit him against the returning Georges St. Pierre in a rematch, and he believes he would easily beat the MMA legend at 185 pounds read news >>