#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #Michael Bisping #GSP #Conor McGregor

Newly crowned Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix champion Daniel Cormier isn’t in a rush to get to the UFC, but he sure wouldn’t mind a title shot when he gets there.

The former Olympian, who dominated Josh Barnett en route to a unanimous decision victory to cap off the tournament, is excited about his UFC future, but right now he’s still committed to at least one more fight in Strikeforce.

While most seem upset at the fact that Cormier has to fight once more in the UFC’s sister promotion, he’s at peace with it all. He’s known ever since the new deal was struck between the powers that be at Zuffa and Showtime for Strikeforce to stay alive, Cormier was going to have at least one more fight in the promotion should he win the Grand Prix.

Still, in a perfect world Cormier would love for his next fight to be against reigning UFC champion Junior Dos Santos, it’s just not going to happen so why dwell on it?

“In a perfect world, I would love that fight. I mean who doesn’t want to fight for the most prestigious belt in mixed martial arts? But right now my loyalties are to Scott Coker and the people at Strikeforce and Showtime. They’ve taken care of me for two and a half years, and treated me well,” Cormier told MMAWeekly Radio.

“It was determined before that I would have another fight. My loyalties are there right now because that’s where I fight. If and when I do go over to the UFC, then I’ll address all that other stuff. Whoever I beat after this fight with Josh Barnett and it’s time to come over, you have to look at my resume and look at a heavyweight that has those quality wins in a row and say does this guy deserve to have a shot over him?”

Cormier does believe however that should he win his next fight in Strikeforce that a title shot should be awaiting him. UFC President Dana White agrees and said recently that if Cormier chooses to stick around at heavyweight, he will get a crack at the heavyweight title.

“If he comes over and wants to fight for the heavyweight championship, yes,” White stated.

For now however, Cormier will focus on what is actually next and that’s recovery from surgery. The American Kickboxing Academy fighter broke his hand in the first round of his fight with Barnett, and had surgery on Monday to repair the damage done.

If recovery goes well, Cormier is hopeful to be back in the cage by the fall of 2012.

“I have surgery on Monday and then Tuesday/Wednesday I can actually get back on my cardio and running, and then on the following Monday I can actually start doing everything else. I mean I can grapple, I can wrestle, I just can’t punch,” said Cormier.

“I’ll hopefully be able to stay in some decent shape, not get as big as I was between this fight and the last fight and then I’m looking at about 6 to 8 weeks of actual recovery time before I can start punching. If that’s the case, I’m hoping to fight in 3 ½ to 4 months.”

There has been no word from Strikeforce officials or UFC officials for that matter on who could potentially come in to face Cormier for his last fight before switching promotions later this year or early next year.

If everything falls in line however, Daniel Cormier could be fighting for the UFC heavyweight title before too much more time passes.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Galleries

Daniel Cormier Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Daniel Cormier, John Gooden on the call for Saturday's UFC Fight Night 119 in Brazil

Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 119 event will feature a rare broadcast duo.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir's attempt to troll UFC champ Daniel Cormier kind of backfired

Volkan Oezdemir tried to use Luke Rockhold to troll UFC champ Daniel Cormier, but it backfired.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Previews Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis UFC Norfolk Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier previews the UFC Fight Night Norfolk main event featuring lightweights Dustin Poirier and Anthony Pettis. read news >>

Daniel Cormier: UFC title bout vs. Volkan Oezdemir nearly official, will show him 'new level'

Daniel Cormier says it won’t be long before a formal date and location are announced for his title defense against Volkan Oezdemir.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir on UFC title shot vs. Daniel Cormier: 'Just waiting on a contract to sign'

UFC light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir just needs to sign the paper to make his fight with champ Daniel Cormier official.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champ Daniel Cormier to 'go to the next guy' if Volkan Oezdemir's legal woes scrap UFC title fight

• a day ago

UFC champ Daniel Cormier is ready for the next man up if Volkan Oezdemir’s legal woes scraps their planned UFC title fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

What does the UFC offer its next TV partner, and how could it change the fan viewing experience?

• a day ago

According to a new report, the UFC’s negotiations with potential new TV partners haven’t resulted in the flood of interest that the new owners expected. What do broadcast partners see when they look read news >>

John Lineker gets wish, steps in to fight Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219

• 23 hours ago

Jimmie Rivera has a replacement foe, and John Lineker has the fight he wants at UFC 219.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dominick Cruz Out; John Lineker Now Faces Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

• 23 hours ago

Following an injury to former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, John Lineker has stepped up to face Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 in Las Vegas on Dec. 30. UFC officials announced the matchup on Tuesday read news >>

Champ Max Holloway questions Jose Aldo's mindset ahead of UFC 218 rematch

• 22 hours ago

UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway has some questions about the mindset of Jose Aldo going into their title rematch at UFC 218.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>