#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler #Dominick Cruz

Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally.

Though he initially lost to the belt to Jon Jones in the UFC 214 main event on July 29, the bout’s outcome was changed to a no contest when Jones tested positive for steroids. So it certainly makes sense that the belt should go back to Cormier.

“Dana White called me and he said if it’s a no contest, then the fight didn’t happen,” Cormier said last week on UFC Tonight. “If one of you guys would have missed weight, he would have won the fight, you still would have kept the belt. He said cause of that, the championship is getting returned to you. The fight is a no contest.

“If he cheated, he could not have fought and cheated and still won the fight. So once again, I’m the UFC champion.”

That’s the easy part. Cormier is a smart man. He understands that, logically, he was cheated. The sport was cheated. The fans were cheated. When the fight was changed to a no contest, it’s as if the fight never happened.

Only, it did happen. That’s where things get muddy.

Cormier understands that he is the rightful owner of the UFC light heavyweight championship. But, while the record books can be erased, his memories of the fight can’t.

“It’s kinda odd, you know. It’s very odd,” Cormier described his emotions on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour.

“I am (the champion) because if the competition was unfair then I guess it doesn’t count. But I know what UFC 214 was. I experienced it myself. I was there,” he continued. “In my mind, I lost the competition. So, it is kind of an odd question right now under the circumstances.

“To me, the competitor, it’s very difficult.”

Before he found out that he would be reinstated as champion, after he had lost to Jones for a second time, Cormier was so upset that he wanted to throw his UFC belts away. His wife stopped him.

He instead settled for putting them away in a closet, where they remain. Despite logic dictating his circumstance, Cormier isn’t ready to face those belts.

“Yes, I am the champion. I didn’t get a fair shake; that’s not cool. But I know I lost the last fight. I have to fix that before I can feel completely secure in my title again.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Daniel Cormier Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Carlos Condit Ready to Book His Return Fight to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Carlos Condit is looking for a fight. The former UFC interim welterweight champion, who has been out of action since August 2016, dropped a message on Twitter to matchmaker Sean Shelby letting him kn read news >>

Luke Rockhold Trashes Michael Bisping's Title Reign as 'the Worst in UFC History' | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has never been a fan of Michael Bisping but it seems he likes him even less a year and a half into his middleweight title reign in the UFC. Of course, Rockhold has a reason to hold a gr read news >>

UFC Fight Night Japan Weigh-in Face-Offs Get a Little Chippy (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the UFC Fight Night 117 fighter staredowns, as a few of the fighters got a little chippy as they went face-to-face. read news >>

Roy Nelson: Bellator 'Actually Loves MMA…Reminds Me of the UFC 10 Years Ago' | MMAWeekly.com

It's been eight years since Roy Nelson last competed in a promotion other than the UFC but on Saturday night he will officially make his debut with Bellator MMA. Nelson, 41, didn't exactly have the b read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Responds to Conor McGregor with Savage Burn | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens never forgot what Conor McGregor said to him at the UFC 205 pre-fight press conference last year but he finally fired back on Thursday. McGregor's original comment came after Stephens read news >>

Watch Ovince Saint Preux KO Patrick Cummins (UFC Japan Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Ovince Saint Preux improved his record in the UFC to 6-1 after his victory over Patrick Cummins at Fight Night Newark in 2015. read news >>

Watch the UFC Japan Post-Fight Press Conference Shortly After the Event | MMAWeekly.com

Tune in for the UFC Fight Night 117: Saint Preux vs. Okami post-fight press conference shortly after Friday night's event. read news >>

Gokhan Saki Flattens Henrique da Silva in Crazy Finish at UFC Fight Night in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Welcome to the UFC, Gokhan Saki. The former kickboxing superstar finally made his debut inside the Octagon on Friday night and he finished Henrique da Silva with a highlight reel left hook that broug read news >>

UFC Japan Post-Fight Press Conference | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC Fight Night 117: Saint Preux vs. Okami post-fight press conference, which followed Friday night's event. read news >>

Don't Be Surprised if Georges St-Pierre Calls Out Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

If Georges St-Pierre defeats Michael Bisping for the UFC middleweight belt in November, don't be surprised if he calls out Conor McGregor. read news >>