#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #UFC Fight Night 57 #Derrick Lewis #Marcin Tybura #Sage Northcutt #Thiago Alves #Curtis Millender #Bellator 194

Daniel Cormier Still At Odds with Being Handed the UFC Belt Jon Jones Took From Him | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally.

Though he initially lost to the belt to Jon Jones in the UFC 214 main event on July 29, the bout’s outcome was changed to a no contest when Jones tested positive for steroids. So it certainly makes sense that the belt should go back to Cormier.

“Dana White called me and he said if it’s a no contest, then the fight didn’t happen,” Cormier said last week on UFC Tonight. “If one of you guys would have missed weight, he would have won the fight, you still would have kept the belt. He said cause of that, the championship is getting returned to you. The fight is a no contest.

“If he cheated, he could not have fought and cheated and still won the fight. So once again, I’m the UFC champion.”

That’s the easy part. Cormier is a smart man. He understands that, logically, he was cheated. The sport was cheated. The fans were cheated. When the fight was changed to a no contest, it’s as if the fight never happened.

Only, it did happen. That’s where things get muddy.

Cormier understands that he is the rightful owner of the UFC light heavyweight championship. But, while the record books can be erased, his memories of the fight can’t.

“It’s kinda odd, you know. It’s very odd,” Cormier described his emotions on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour.

“I am (the champion) because if the competition was unfair then I guess it doesn’t count. But I know what UFC 214 was. I experienced it myself. I was there,” he continued. “In my mind, I lost the competition. So, it is kind of an odd question right now under the circumstances.

“To me, the competitor, it’s very difficult.”

Before he found out that he would be reinstated as champion, after he had lost to Jones for a second time, Cormier was so upset that he wanted to throw his UFC belts away. His wife stopped him.

He instead settled for putting them away in a closet, where they remain. Despite logic dictating his circumstance, Cormier isn’t ready to face those belts.

“Yes, I am the champion. I didn’t get a fair shake; that’s not cool. But I know I lost the last fight. I have to fix that before I can feel completely secure in my title again.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Daniel Cormier Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Stipe Miocic Sits Atop UFC 220 Fighter Salaries | MMAWeekly.com

Stipe Miocic sat atop the UFC 220 fighter salaries, followed closely by Francis Ngannou and Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko: Nicco Montano Is the Legit UFC Flyweight Champion But 'Not For Long' | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchenko gives Nicco Montano credit for her run to win the UFC flyweight title but she may not be holding onto it for very long read news >>

Daniel Cormier: Beating Stipe Miocic at UFC 226 would make me greatest fighter of all time

Daniel Cormier says beating Stipe Miocic for the UFC heavyweight title will cement him as the MMA GOAT. read news >>

Daniel Cormier and Alexander Gustafsson Trade Barbs in Fiery Twitter Exchange | MMAWeekly.com

While UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier already has a dance lined up with heavyweight titleholder Stipe Miocic, light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson is trying to cut the line. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125: Machida vs. Anders Open Workouts | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the UFC Fight Night 125 Open Workouts, featuring Lyoto Machida, Eryk Anders, Valentina Shevchenko, Priscila Cachoeira, and John Dodson. read news >>

UFC Heavyweight James Mulheron Suspended One Year by USADA | MMAWeekly.com

UFC heavyweight James Mulheron has been suspended for one year after violating the UFC's anti-doping policy due to a failed drug test administered by USADA. USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) m read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125: Machida vs. Anders Media Day Face-Offs | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC Fight Night 125: Machida vs. Anders main card athletes squared off Thursday morning in Belém, Brazil. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Excited to Accomplish Something Even Jon Jones Wasn't Willing to Try | MMAWeekly.com

Once the roadblocks were cleared, Daniel Cormier didn't hesitate to challenge himself by going back to heavyweight challenge Stipe Miocic at UFC 226 read news >>

Middleweight Champ Robert Whittaker Reveals When He Expects to Return to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Robert Whittaker updates his condition and reveals when he expects to return to the UFC. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125 Main and Co-Main Event Fighters Fail to Make Weight | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC Fight Night 125 official weigh-ins are in the books, but not without several disappointments on the scale at Friday's event. read news >>