#UFC Fight Night 123 #Cub Swanson #Brian Ortega #UFC 218 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #GLORY Redemption #Rico Verhoeven #Conor McGregor #UFC 217 #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem

Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally.

Though he initially lost to the belt to Jon Jones in the UFC 214 main event on July 29, the bout’s outcome was changed to a no contest when Jones tested positive for steroids. So it certainly makes sense that the belt should go back to Cormier.

“Dana White called me and he said if it’s a no contest, then the fight didn’t happen,” Cormier said last week on UFC Tonight. “If one of you guys would have missed weight, he would have won the fight, you still would have kept the belt. He said cause of that, the championship is getting returned to you. The fight is a no contest.

“If he cheated, he could not have fought and cheated and still won the fight. So once again, I’m the UFC champion.”

That’s the easy part. Cormier is a smart man. He understands that, logically, he was cheated. The sport was cheated. The fans were cheated. When the fight was changed to a no contest, it’s as if the fight never happened.

Only, it did happen. That’s where things get muddy.

Cormier understands that he is the rightful owner of the UFC light heavyweight championship. But, while the record books can be erased, his memories of the fight can’t.

“It’s kinda odd, you know. It’s very odd,” Cormier described his emotions on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour.

“I am (the champion) because if the competition was unfair then I guess it doesn’t count. But I know what UFC 214 was. I experienced it myself. I was there,” he continued. “In my mind, I lost the competition. So, it is kind of an odd question right now under the circumstances.

“To me, the competitor, it’s very difficult.”

Before he found out that he would be reinstated as champion, after he had lost to Jones for a second time, Cormier was so upset that he wanted to throw his UFC belts away. His wife stopped him.

He instead settled for putting them away in a closet, where they remain. Despite logic dictating his circumstance, Cormier isn’t ready to face those belts.

“Yes, I am the champion. I didn’t get a fair shake; that’s not cool. But I know I lost the last fight. I have to fix that before I can feel completely secure in my title again.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Daniel Cormier Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Daniel Cormier Faces Volkan Oezdemir at UFC 220 in Boston | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier will put his light heavyweight title on the line at UFC 220 in Boston when he faces Volkan Oezdemir on Jan. 20. Cormier announced the matchup via "UFC Tonight" on Wednesday. The fight read news >>

Dana White Meeting with CM Punk in Detroit to Discuss His UFC Future | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk may be headed back to the UFC Octagon in the near future. The former WWE superstar, who was submitted in his mixed martial arts debut last September, will sit down with UFC president Dana Whi read news >>

Daniel Cormier to Defend Light Heavyweight Belt vs. Volkan Oezdemir at UFC 220

The UFC announced Wednesday that Daniel Cormier will put his light heavyweight belt on the line against Volkan Ozdemir. The fight is scheduled for UFC 220 on Jan. 20 at TD Garden in Boston. Cormier w read news >>

Cris Cyborg and Holly Holm Face-Off for the First Time (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of their monumental battle for the UFC featherweight belt, Cris Cyborg and Holly Holm faced off for the first time on Thursday in Detroit. read news >>

Fighters Got a Little Scrappy at the UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 Weigh-in (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) Watch the UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 Ceremonial Weigh-in, which took place Friday afternoon in Detroit. Featherweight champion Max Holloway takes on former titleholder Jose Aldo i read news >>

Watch the UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 Weigh-in Live at 6 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 Ceremonial Weigh-in streaming live from Las Vegas at 6 p.m. ET. read news >>

Report: Former UFC Fighter Tae Hyun Bang Sentenced to Prison in Fight Fixing Scandal | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC fighter Tae Hyun Bang will spend the next 10 months in prison after being convicted and sentenced in a fight fixing scandal in South Korea. According to the Korea Herald, Bang and three br read news >>

UFC Shanghai: Bisping vs. Gastelum Weigh-in Video | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC Fight Night Shanghai official weigh-in from Friday, November 24 in Shanghai, China. read news >>

Breaking Down Michael Bisping's Quest for Redemption at UFC Shanghai | MMAWeekly.com

Dan Hardy dissects the UFC Fight Night Shanghai main event between No. 2 ranked Michael Bisping and No. 9 ranked Kelvin Gastelum. read news >>

Cyril Asker Taps Out Yaozong Hu to Kick Off UFC Shanghai Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the highlights from the heavyweight bout that kicked off the UFC Shanghai fight card between Cyril Asker and Yaozong Hu. read news >>