#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Demetrious Johnson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Anderson Silva

Daniel Cormier has unfinished business with Frank Mir.

The American Kickboxing Academy standout called out the former UFC heavyweight champion following his lopsided victory against an overmatched Dion Staring at Strikeforce’s final show on Saturday night.

Competing in the evening’s co-main event, Cormier unleashed a torrent of violence on the Dutchman at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, afterward calling out Mir for a spring Octagon meeting at UFC on Fox 7.

“I signed my UFC contract,” Cormier told Showtime Sports. “April 20 on Fox, Frank Mir, let’s do it. It was supposed to happen, and we were supposed to fight in Oklahoma, so he owes it to me.

The Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix winner was not done yet, however, as he went on to target UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, who is scheduled to defend his belt at UFC 159 against former two-time middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen.

“I’m going to let Jon defend his belt on April 27, and then I’m going to kick his ass in the fall,” Cormier said.

Cormier was initially expected to face Mir this past November, but the onetime UFC king was forced to withdraw from the booking due to injury. The entire event was then canceled and rescheduled after a handful of main card competitors were also bitten by the injury bug, and Cormier was paired with Staring for his final Strikeforce appearance.

“I felt great. I was kind of concerned, because I felt sick all week,” said Cormier. “[I thought I was] going to get tired, but I didn’t. I was still going hard, on top of him, punching him, but he was just a really tough guy.”

Staring, a Golden Glory representative cornered by UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem, offered up little resistance beyond the bout’s opening moments, with Cormier connecting with solid shots standing before repeatedly taking the 34-year-old to the floor and punishing him with ground-and-pound.

At one point during the second round, Cormier appeared to consider snatching a wide-open armbar but ultimately reconsidered, maintaining his dominant position and pounding out his opponent for the routine technical knockout victory.

“I’m a guy who is mainly never going to give up position for a submission,” said Cormier. “That’s just kind of my style. I’m a wrestler. I could have had it, but I’m not too sure on that yet.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Daniel Cormier Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Daniel Cormier Still At Odds with Being Handed the UFC Belt Jon Jones Took From Him | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Calls for Fight with Volkan Oezdemir Next | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier asked and the fans responded. The reigning UFC light heavyweight champion put out a call on social media recently asking who he should face when he returns to action in 2018 with the o read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Sao Paulo's 12-bout UFC Fight Night 119 lineup finalized for FS1, FS2

The fight card is set for the UFC’s return to Brazil on Oct. 28 with UFC Fight Night 119.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee' debuts today on FS1

As a reminder, the UFC’s traditional pre-event show returns today with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee” on FS1.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 lineup set with 12 bouts on UFC Fight Pass in Gdansk, Poland

The fight card is set for the UFC’s return to Poland later this month for UFC Fight Night 118.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yokota Air Base personnel in Japan motivated by recent visit from UFC fighters

Take an inside look at the UFC’s recent visit to Yokota Air Base in Japan near Tokyo. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Chase Sherman set for UFC Fight Night 122 in Shanghai

The card for the UFC’s debut in mainland China continues to grow with the addition of a heavyweight fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Coach Mark Henry says Eddie Alvarez fighting Justin Gaethje at UFC 218 in Detroit

The UFC’s long-awaited return to Detroit is shaping up to be a big card, and now it appears a pair of former champs will grace the lineup.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Knee injury, surgery forces Teemu Packalen from UFC Fight night 118 vs. Marcin Held

The UFC’s return to Poland later this month for UFC Fight Night 118 has taken a hit to one of its featured bouts. Filed under: News read news >>