UFC President Dana White has a message for UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones: stick to fighting.
After hearing that recent foe Alexander Gustafsson will be fighting Jimi Manuwa in March, Jones suggested would-be contenders should face tougher opposition to qualify for a chance at his belt.
White, though, laughed off his comments.
“Jon, I love you, but you’re not a matchmaker,” White said this past weekend. “Fight your fight, he’ll fight his fight, and don’t worry about it.”
Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC), who’s is expected to fight Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) in early 2014, had his toughest test yet when he fought Gustafsson at UFC 165. After narrowly edging the challenger via decision in the Sept. 21 pay-per-view headliner, UFC officials opted not to book an immediate rematch.
Originally scheduled to fight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (21-5 MMA, 4-2 UFC) at a UFC European Tour event on March 8, Gustafsson (15-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) then was slated to fight injury replacement Manuwa (14-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC), an undefeated fighter who’s won all three of his UFC fights via knockout. With most of the division tied up, and with Manuwa quickly emerging as a legit contender, officials opted to book them as the London show’s Plan B.
Jones, ranked No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA light-heavyweight rankings, initially was told by White that a rematch with Gustafsson, ranked No. 4, could be next after UFC 165. Instead, it’ll be No. 5 Teixeira, and Gustafsson gets unranked Manuwa, who’s an honorable mention (just outside the division’s top 15) on MMAjunkie.com.
While some, including Jones, have called for a No. 1 contender’s bout between Gustafsson and former heavyweight Daniel Cormier, White suggested the champ focus on his own fights and leave the matchmaking to the professionals.
“It makes you sound like you’re worried about it,” White said. “When you talk like that, it sounds like you’re worried about it.”
For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
(Pictured: Jon Jones)view original article >>
Mark Hunt issued an expletive-filled message to UFC President Dana White after the heavyweight fighter was removed from the UFC Fight Night show in Sydney, Australia, on Nov. 19. Hunt's message to Wh read news >>
UFC president Dana White had a strong message in response to the Las Vegas shooting to open UFC 216 on Saturday night. read news >>
Dana White hasn't talked to former champ Jon Jones since his failed UFC 214 drug test, but believes Jones could have been the greatest ever. read news >>
(Courtesy of UFC) UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is on a mission to crawl under the skin of Georges St-Pierre. It will have been four years since St-Pierre last fought when he enters the O read news >>
UFC president Dana White agrees with the likes of Michael Bisping and Mark Hunt, who are calling for tougher anti-doping violation sanctions. read news >>
For a brief flicker of time it appeared the UFC had the opportunity to book a massive super fight between Brock Lesnar and Jon Jones as both fighters were engaged in a war of words between interviews read news >>
Following claims that he declared Jon Jones innocent, UFC exec Jeff Novitzky debunked the controversial reports. read news >>
UFC President Dana White said on a recent episode of ESPN's Dan Le Batard Show that WWE would not allow Brock Lesnar to fight again in the UFC while under contract with WWE. During the interview (h/t read news >>
Mark Hunt knows exactly why he was pulled from the UFC Fight Night card in Australia although his excuse most likely doesn't jive with the reasons the promotion gave him the hook. On Tuesday, Hunt wa read news >>
UFC President Dana White watched coverage of last week’s mass shooting in Las Vegas and knew what the company needed to do. And it didn’t involve canceling Saturday’s UFC 216 event.Filed under: News, read news >>