Mark Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) had an opportunity to replace injured Alistair Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and fight Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) but turned it down, according to UFC President Dana White.
Overeem bowed out of the UFC 160 bout on Wednesday due to a thigh injury, and as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier today, White later said his fight with former heavyweight champ dos Santos will be rebooked for the summer.
But Hunt? White said he wasn’t interested.
“Hey dummy Mark Hunt turned down the fight with JDS as of last night so STFU when u don’t know what ur talkin about,” White tweeted in response to one of his followers.
He then suggested a big fight could be in order for the New Zealand kickboxer, who recently demolished Stefan Struve in this past week’s UFC on FUEL TV 8 co-headliner in Japan. It marked Hunt’s fourth straight win and continued a recent career resurgence.
“With his win last week he broke into the top 10,” White tweeted. “He will get a top 10 fight but as of last nite he turned down JDS.”
On Wednesday Hunt told MMAFighting.com he was open to the May 25 fight with Dos Santos if offered. However, he declined comment today.
With Overeem’s injury expected to sideline him weeks instead of months, his fight with Dos Santos likely will be rerouted to one of the UFC’s big summer pay-per-view cards.
For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
(Pictured: Mark Hunt)view original article >>
UFC president Dana White admits that he gives Conor McGregor more leeway than he does other fighters on the fight promotion's roster. read news >>
While the full campus isn’t quite open just yet, UFC employees recently made the move into the company’s impressive new headquarters in Las Vegas, and CNN cameras were invited in for a sneak peek of read news >>
When UFC was sold in July 2016 to WME-IMG for a staggering $4.2 billion, longtime president Dana White inked a five-year deal to remain with the fight company. read news >>
When UFC former owners sold the fight promotion in July 2016 for $4.2 billion to WME–IMG, the promotion's longtime president, Dana White, was distraught. read news >>
The heavyweight title is back on the line next week in Dallas with a highly anticipated rematch. Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Hours after the announcement, UFC President Dana White said nothing is official regarding a new women’s 125-pound weight class.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White isn't sure if Nate Diaz will ever fight again. "If they want to fight next week or if they never want to fight again, that's up to them," he said when talking about Diaz and read news >>
UFC president Dana White said that he's not sure if we'll ever see the Diaz Brothers, Nate and Nick, ever fight again. read news >>
Listen in on the UFC 211 media call replay to hear what Stipe Miocic, Junior dos Santos, Joanna Jedrzejczyk, and Jessica Andrade had to say. read news >>
In 2014, Stipe Miocic and Junior Dos Santos engaged in an epic five-round battle that saw "Cigano" emerge with a razor-close victory. They rematch on May 13. read news >>