mark-hunt-8.jpgMONTREAL – Mark Hunt very well could be on the verge of a shot at the UFC’s heavyweight title.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) will meet Junior Dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) in May in the co-main event of UFC 160 in Las Vegas. With a win, he very likely gets a shot at the winner of that night’s title fight between champ Cain Velasquez and Antonio Silva.

That a win over JDS would give Hunt five straight wins in the UFC’s heavyweight division makes a title shot seem fairly obvious. But you have to go back a few years, back to Hunt’s PRIDE and DREAM days, to understand just why Hunt fighting for the UFC title would be such a big accomplishment.

Hunt dropped five straight fights in Japan – all to big names, mind you. Names like Fedor Emelianenko and Alistair Overeem and Josh Barnett. He was 5-6 in MMA, outside his successful kickboxing career.

So when the UFC signed him, it raised a few eyebrows. And as the story goes, the UFC’s purchase of PRIDE came with some fighters owed some fights – including Hunt.

On Thursday, UFC President Dana White revealed just how close Hunt was to not even being in the UFC, let alone one more big win away from a shot at a belt. Hunt took the fight with Dos Santos only after White assured him that things he was upset about would be fixed.

Chief among those things? That the UFC didn’t want to give him fights, but instead was willing to pay him the money owed him on his contract to just walk away.

“He felt very disrespected and felt like he never really belonged here,” White said. “He had a losing record in PRIDE and we didn’t want to bring him into the UFC, so we said, ‘We’ll pay you the money and you can ride off into the sunset and do your thing.’ And he was like, ‘F— that. I want to be paid to fight.’ First of all, a losing record, his age, the guy hadn’t fought in a long time. It just made no sense to bring the guy in.”

But Hunt stood his ground.

“He fought it and fought it and fought it, and finally we said, ‘Fine. You wanna earn the money and fight for the money, come on in,’” White recalled.

And so come on in, Hunt did. He was given a prelims-opening spot on UFC 119 in Indianapolis against hometown newcomer Sean McCorkle, and he was submitted with an armbar just 63 seconds into the fight.

At that point, it looked like the UFC brass knew what it was talking about by not wanting to bother with him. But they stuck with him, and five months later, Hunt got his first MMA win in nearly five years with a knockout of Chris Tuchscherer. Then he beat Ben Rothwell. Then he knocked out Cheick Kongo.

And the highlight of highlights came earlier this month when he shattered Stefan Struve’s jaw for a knockout win at UFC on FUEL TV 8 in Japan, his second “Knockout of the Night” bonus in the UFC.

“Even though we weren’t wrong (about not wanting him at first), we ended up being wrong,” White told MMAjunkie.com. “He proved us wrong, he proved everybody who doubted him wrong. We just didn’t cut him, we kept him – and imagine if we had cut him.”

White said having the conversation with Hunt to find out how he felt and straighten some things out made all the difference between Dos Santos still needing an opponent after Overeem fell off with an injury and Hunt stepping up for the biggest fight of his career.

“Since that day, how we didn’t want him, and just wanted to pay him and have him basically go away, he took incredible offense to that and never felt like he really belonged here,” White said. “I understand that. I said, ‘I’ll fix the things that made you feel this way. You’re right, and I’m sorry this happened to you. We do respect you and I think you’re one of the greatest stories in sports right now, to be honest with you.’ So I got everything worked out and now he’s ecstatic and I’m happy I could do it.

“We have so many guys and as you’re doing the daily grind, you don’t think about things like this and this happens sometimes. We deal with different personalities, and there’s always an issue with guys one way or another, whether it’s their professional and personal life, that have to be dealt with. I’m glad we got it straightened out.”

Hunt’s turnaround has been one of the more remarkable in the heavyweight division, especially given his 5-foot-10 stature. But as White said about the chances of a Hunt title shot, if he goes in and stops Dos Santos, there’s no way he could be denied the chance to fight for a belt.

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC on FOX 23 early weigh-in results and live video stream (11 a.m. ET)

  • 26 days ago
  • 67 views

DENVER – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 206 fighter weigh-ins, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 11 a.m. (8 a read news >>

UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena Main Card Weigh-in Videos | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 13 views

Check out the UFC on FOX 23 main card fighters at the early morning weigh-in as they step on the scale in Denver. read news >>

Dana White: UFC on FOX 23's Francis Ngannou could be longstanding heavyweight champ one day

  • 24 days ago
  • 27 views

UFC President Dana White has high praise for surging heavyweight prospect Francis Ngannou ahead of Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Previews UFC Denver: Shevchenko vs. Pena and Arlovski vs. Ngannou | MMAWeekly.com

  • 24 days ago
  • 49 views

Dana White weighs in on UFC on FOX 23 in Denver, where Valentina Shevchenko and Julianna Pena top the fight card at the Pepsi Center. read news >>

UFC Denver: Shevchenko vs. Pena Post-Fight Press Conference Replay | MMAWeekly.com

  • 24 days ago
  • 22 views

UFC president Dana White and the big winners from the UFC Denver fight card fielded questions from the media following the event at the Pepsi Center. read news >>

Dana White promises 'epic fall' for Conor McGregor should he dig in against UFC

  • 24 days ago
  • 17 views

DENVER – UFC President Dana White issued a warning to Conor McGregor while also dismissing the lightweight champion’s outburst on social media.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Video read news >>

Dana White Says Conor McGregor Butting Heads with UFC Would Be an Epic Fall | MMAWeekly.com

  • 24 days ago
  • 330 views

UFC President Dana White on Saturday continued his stand in saying that a fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. is unlikely to ever happen. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Jorge Masvidal doubles down on $200,000 bet to Dana White

  • 24 days ago
  • 125 views

DENVER – Following an upset stoppage of Donald Cerrone, Jorge Masvidal reiterated he wants to bet UFC President Dana White $200,000 on his welterweight prospects. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, read news >>

CM Punk Says Next UFC Fight Is Being Discussed with Dana White

  • 23 days ago
  • 8 views

CM Punk has revealed that he's doing his all to get back in the Octagon in the not-too-distant future and has entered discussions with UFC President Dana White. The WWE star turned UFC fighter lost o read news >>

Dana White Wants Amanda Nunes to Pump the Breaks on Featherweight Title Talk (video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 23 days ago
  • 19 views

Dana White wants UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes to "pump the breaks" on her plan to challenge the inaugural women's UFC featherweight champion. read news >>