MENU
#Conor McGregor #UFC 211 #Bellator 179 #Rory MacDonald #Nate Diaz #Paul Daley #Hayder Hassan #Dhiego Lima #Cris Cyborg #Joanna Jedrzejczyk #Jon Jones #UFC 202


Dominick Cruz and Urijah FaberFollowing their wins at UFC on Fox 9 in Sacramento, Calif., Urijah Faber and Chad Mendes are as close as two guys can get to title shots.

UFC president Dana White said on Saturday night that each fighter, Faber at bantamweight and Mendes at featherweight, is in the mix for a rematch with his respective divisional champion.

“They look great,” White said of Faber and Mendes at the UFC on Fox 9 post-fight press conference. “Faber’s in this ‘Vitor zone’ right now where the older he gets, the better he gets. Seriously, if you look at how good [Michael] McDonald really is… he literally shut Michael down the entire fight and finished him. It was a great performance.

“As far as Mendes goes, the first 2:20 is the Chad Mendes that we know. He went in there and fought with the flu. Imagine going in and fighting with flu-type symptoms or even a cold. It’s something you can’t even imagine. I have a lot of respect for both of them, and they’re definitely right there.”

Faber decimated the 22-year-old McDonald, finishing the young fighter with a guillotine choke in the second round of the co-main event. Leading up to the submission, however, is where Faber showed a ferocity that looked as though he was a young up-and-comer.

“The California Kid” said he would love to get another shot at the title, no matter how big the opposition might be.

“I’ll fight Godzilla; I’ll fight King Kong – I don’t care,” Faber said.

Mendes revealed at the press conference that he fought with a sinus infection, and refused to take antibiotics to fight the sickness in the weeks leading up to his fight. The infection was getting better, he said, but it unexpectedly got worse as fight night approached.

Despite the infection, Mendes powered through the 15-minute affair with a scrappy Nik Lentz to earn the unanimous decision.

“After that first round, I could feel it getting heavy on my chest,” Mendes said. “But not making any excuses. Nik Lentz is a tough dude.”

Faber first fought for the bantamweight title against interim champ Renan Barão at UFC 149 in July 2012. Barao won the bout by unanimous decision, and is currently awaiting the return of injured champ Dominick Cruz to unify the titles at UFC 169 in February.

Mendes fought 145-pound champ Jose Aldo at UFC 142, losing in the first round, after the titleholder landed a knee that won the fight by knockout. Aldo is currently preparing to face Ricardo Lamas on the same UFC 169 card as Cruz and Barao.

Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC's Dana White lists reasons why Floyd Mayweather could struggle vs. Conor McGregor

  • 28 days ago
  • 112 views

Not surprisingly, UFC President Dana White goes to bat for his lightweight champion in the proposed superfight with Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Al Iaquinta Rips into UFC and Dana White | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 63 views

Al Iaquinta hadn't fought for two years until recently because he was disgruntled. He is now more upset with Dana White and the UFC than ever. read news >>

Dana White Says Zuffa Turned Down $5 Billion for the UFC | FIGHTLAND

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

Photo by ?Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports? Last year when Zuffa, LLC sold the UFC to Hollywood mega-talent agency WME|IMG for $4 billion—$3,998,000,000 more than Zuffa had paid for it just 15 years earli read news >>

Growing Up Dana White (video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 34 views

UFC president Dana White recently sat down to give some insight into what his life was like growing up. read news >>

Former UFC owners turned down $5 billion buyout offer, per Dana White

  • 27 days ago
  • 277 views

The UFC sold this past July for about $4 billion, or $3.775 billion and a quarter-billion in earn-outs, if you want to get technical. But when the promotion's former owners were considering which buy read news >>

Dana White Claims UFC Shot Down $5 Billion Offer | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 21 views

What's more surprising than the UFC having been purchased for $4.2 billion? How about the idea that there were two higher bidders that were shot down? read news >>

Dana White says he's never been in it for the money. Can that possibly be true?

  • 26 days ago
  • 10 views

UFC President Dana White doesn't "even think about the money" he's made from the UFC's rise and recent sale, according to what he said in a recent interview. But while multimillionaires might have th read news >>

UFCer Wins Violently, Pimps Real Estate Business, Then Trolls UFC on Twitter

  • 28 days ago
  • 4 views

It was a pretty unique weekend for Al Iaquinta of the UFC. After a protracted negotiation with the promotion over pay he deemed unsatisfactory, one that ended up with him banned from receiving fight read news >>

Despite Beef, TJ Dillashaw Says Urijah Faber Deserves UFC Hall of Fame | MMAWeekly.com

  • 26 days ago
  • 8 views

Pioneer to the lighter weight classes in mixed martial arts Urijah Faber will be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame in July. read news >>

Dana White Would Have Signed a 55-Year Deal as UFC President | MMAWeekly.com

  • 23 days ago
  • 83 views

When UFC was sold in July 2016 to WME-IMG for a staggering $4.2 billion, longtime president Dana White inked a five-year deal to remain with the fight company. read news >>