Dana White is not happy about the news that longtime elite boxer Manny Pacquiao and UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor are working on a match in April. He's not one bit happy. Speaking at the UFC Fight Night 123 post-fight press conference, White had pointed words for the Filipino pugilist.
"That would be weird, because (McGregor’s) under contract with us," said White when asked about Pacquiao's statement (h/t MMAJunkie.com). "If that’s true, I will be suing Manny Pacquiao and whoever is representing him."
White denying the fight is no surprise. McGregor and the UFC are in reportedly contentious contract negotiations following the Irish striker's "Money Fight" with Floyd Mayweather in August, something White himself alluded to in an interview last week. Acknowledging the rumors of McGregor working with Pacquiao would not only call into question White's control over a fighter that (theoretically) is under his employ but would also strengthen McGregor's leverage at the bargaining table.
That, of course, doesn't mean the rumors aren't true.
At 38 years old and already semi-retired, Pacquiao only has a few fights left in him. McGregor represents a seemingly low-risk but undeniably high-reward opportunity for the part-timer, who could use a rebound match after a controversial decision loss to Jeff Horn.
Meanwhile, despite being under contract with the UFC, the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act leaves McGregor's exclusivity with the company up for debate (a topic that was heavily discussed ahead of the contest). With that in mind, McGregor gains a great deal of haggling horsepower by having strong suitors in multiple sports, a fact that certainly isn't lost on Team Notorious.
That said, don't get too excited about a Mac-Pac superfight yet. The UFC will likely bend over backwards to keep McGregor in the Octagon, and per Yahoo, Pacquiao himself is hedging his bets by acknowledging McGregor as one of a handful of potential foes.
While it might take a bit, and while things might get heated in meantime, look for McGregor's next fight to take place in a cage, not a ring.view original article >>
Dana White doesn't seem on board to book Conor McGregor against Floyd Mayweather again read news >>
Conor McGregor has Dana White's back when it comes to the pay-per-view numbers for his fight with Floyd Mayweather read news >>
UFC President Dana White has said lightweight champion Conor McGregor would be stripped of his title if the 155-pound star does not fight until the latter's preferred date of September. MMAjunkie's M read news >>
Conor McGregor may be the biggest star in the history of the UFC but he can't sit on the sidelines forever while holding onto the lightweight championship. McGregor hasn't fought in the UFC since win read news >>
Cris Cyborg vs. Amanda Nunes is not the fight to make, according to the UFC champion, who has more than Megan Anderson in mind.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Conor McGregor and Dana White believe Showtime Sports is selling wolf tickets about the pay-per-view numbers for “The Money Fight.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Conor McGregor's lightweight title reign may be over very soon. On Sunday night, UFC president Dana White revealed that McGregor is now contemplating an even longer layoff with his next fight not bei read news >>
Dana White isn't sure GSP will ever fight again but if he does, he's not getting Conor McGregor read news >>
It sounds like UFC President Dana White isn’t on board with a potential Conor McGregor vs. Georges St-Pierre super fight in the future.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
If Conor McGregor returns to fight in the UFC in 2018, it appears he won't be fighting until at least the summer. That's the latest word from UFC president Dana White, who revealed on Thursday that h read news >>