UFC welterweight titleholder Georges St-Pierre sits on the sidelines recovering from knee surgery while the 170-pound division moves on without him. UFC president Dana White recently gave the media an update on his champion’s recovery progress.
“Georges has been rehabilitating and he’s been doing great. He is on track, but he is still far from being ready,” White told the media following UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit on Feb. 4.
St-Pierre recently stated he wouldn’t be ready to train until at least July. The earliest return to action for St-Pierre is late this year. Even the champ himself said that late October or early November would be the soonest he could be back.
White revealed that St-Pierre felt pain in his knee while jumping out of his seat during the UFC 143 main event between Condit and Diaz. But the UFC president remains confident that GSP will return in full form when he does step back in the cage.
“These surgeries these days aren’t what they used to be. He went to the absolute best doctor there is. He’s getting the best physical therapy that you can get and he’s a hard worker,” said White. “Some of these knee surgeries now are just as good – I mean, Jerry Rice, 10 years ago, came back from a knee surgery and was still awesome. It depends on the individual, but these knee surgeries are way different than they used to be.”
Hours after the announcement, UFC President Dana White said nothing is official regarding a new women’s 125-pound weight class.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
The long-discussed, crossover boxing fight between UFC two division champion Conor McGregor and boxing legend Floyd Mayweather appears ready to progress to the next stage in the coming days. read news >>
You might not know Benson Henderson has been operating under less-than-ideal conditions for the entirety of his three-fight Bellator career.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza reportedly could be spending the next six months or so on the sidelines following surgery. read news >>
Dana White talked about TUF, the women's flyweight division, and provided his company's first comment on the Cris Cyborg battery incident. read news >>
There appear to be some mixed signals following the cancellation of Cody Garbrandt's UFC bantamweight title defense against TJ Dillashaw. read news >>
Invicta FC president Shannon Knapp isn't threatened by the UFC opening up the women's flyweight class. She's confident there is plenty of talent to go around. read news >>
UFC president Dana White announced in February that former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre would return to the Octagon. read news >>
Following a disappointing TKO loss to Robert Whittaker earlier this month, UFC middleweight contender Ronaldo Souza opted for surgery and will be on the shelf for the next few months.Filed under: New read news >>
When UFC was sold in July 2016 to WME-IMG for a staggering $4.2 billion, longtime president Dana White inked a five-year deal to remain with the fight company. read news >>