Unfortunately, at the end of the night there were only questions with very little in the way of answers.
Just days ago, UFC President Dana White teased that he would have some major revelations to make after UFC 149 ended, but once it was over he changed his tune.
“To be honest you know me, I am in no mood right now to even talk about that,” White told Fuel TV when asked about the middleweight division after the event.
While there was no direct reference made after the show ended, a lot of the plans at middleweight hinged on the fight between Tim Boetsch and former Bellator champion Hector Lombard. The end result was Lombard’s winning streak coming to a very unimpressive end, while Boetsch most likely suffered a broken foot en route to victory.
So instead of having a new No. 1 contender crowned, White could only say that no one stands out head and shoulders above the crowd and more fights will have to happen before Anderson Silva finds his next challenger.
“No, there’s going to be some fights that happen before any of these guys fight Anderson Silva,” White revealed.
The overall mood from White could only be described as somber after what he hoped was going to be an explosive fight between Boetsch and Lombard turned into a fizzled out performance from the highly hyped former Bellator champion.
White was looking for someone, anyone to come out and stake their claim to the top spot at middleweight, much like Chris Weidman did in his fight just over a week ago against Mark Munoz at UFC on Fuel TV 4.
“When I talk about guys fighting for the next fight and guys who are possibly going to fight for world titles, I like dominant performances. (Chris) Weidman, I want to see a guy like Weidman come in out of nowhere and take out the No. 2, No. 3 guy in the world the way that he did. We’ll see what happens,” said White.
Weidman’s impressive performance aside, White says he’s still not next in line for a title shot, and for now the No. 1 contender remains a mystery.
The UFC will be holding executive meetings early next week where details could be hammered out to hopefully put together a match or series of matches that will finally find a top dog ready to challenge Anderson Silva’s seemingly unstoppable reign as champion.
Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum face off for the first time ahead of UFC Fight Night 122 on Nov. 25. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>
Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company's fighters. It's no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over read news >>
Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>
The UFC is offering free tickets to Saturday's UFC 216 event in Las Vegas to first responders from last week's mass shooting in the city. UFC President Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto about the read news >>
For UFC Dana White, not canceling UFC 216 was a very important move, not for his company, but for his city. read news >>
Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Excited about the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rubber match trilogy fight at UFC 219 in December? Dana White says you should pump the brakesFiled under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White says more than 1,500 first responders from the Las Vegas shooting will be at Saturday’s UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Prior to the start of Saturday's UFC 216 event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, UFC President Dana White shared a video message about the mass shooting in the city on Oct. 1. Sports Illustrated's read news >>