LAS VEGAS – After Ronaldo Souza‘s impressive UFC debut this past week in Brazil, questions quickly turned to who might be next for the Brazilian middleweight.
And now we apparently have the answer.
Souza (18-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will be booked for a fight against onetime middleweight title challenger Yushin Okami (29-7 MMA, 13-4 UFC). UFC President Dana White revealed the planned booking on Thursday to reporters during a media event for UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
White, however, said the fight has not been officially signed, and the UFC isn’t yet ready to announce a date for it.
Souza came into the UFC after the Strikeforce merger on a three-fight win streak following a middleweight title fight loss to Luke Rockhold in September 2011 in which he lost his belt.
And his impressive run continued this past Saturday in Brazil at UFC on FX 8, where he submitted Chris Camozzi in the first round to win “Submission of the Night” honors and $50,000 in his UFC debut.
“Jacare” now has won eight of his past nine fights, with just the Rockhold unanimous decision setback working against him. He won the Strikeforce middleweight title in August 2010 against Tim Kennedy, then defended it with a submission of Robbie Lawler.
Okami is on a three-fight win streak after back-to-back losses that started with his middleweight title setback against Anderson Silva at UFC 134. On the heels of that fight, he beat up Tim Boetsch for two rounds, but then was caught by him quickly in the third at UFC 144 and lost by TKO.
A win over Souza would give him four straight – and certainly would have him back in the conversation for another crack at the middleweight title. Okami, though, hasn’t had a streak of longer than three fights since a six-fight run in 2006-07 that was snapped by Rick Franklin at UFC 72. Since then, he’s had three three-fight streaks.
For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
(Pictured: Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza)view original article >>
Saying that he is healthy and medically fit to fight, Mark Hunt claims Dana White and the UFC are trying to push him out. read news >>
UFC president Dana White claims that the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor boxing match broke the all-time pay-per-view record. read news >>
When Endeavor (WME-IMG) purchased the UFC, a big part of their financial gamble to spend $4 billion was based on a new television deal starting in 2019 that would net them hundreds of millions per ye read news >>
Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor was a one-off opportunity, but could Dana White see his company getting into boxing on a regular basis? read news >>
UFC President Dana White adamantly denies Paulie Malignaggi’s claim that a fight with Conor McGregor is in negotiations.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White suggested he has no choice but to pull Mark Hunt from an upcoming UFC headliner, and the heavyweight’s recent complaints make little sense, he said.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Dana White sat down with the Wall Street Journal for an extended interview, opening up about the tragic Las Vegas shooting and covering all things UFC. read news >>
Zuffa Boxing, indeed. UFC President Dana White said it’s possible Zuffa’s schedule could include events in the square circle along with those in the octagon. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Georges St-Pierre works out for the media on Wednesday ahead of his UFC 217 return and trains with his possible future replacement. read news >>
UFC President Dana White responded Thursday to the man who filed a lawsuit against middleweight champion Michael Bisping over an alleged assault at a gym in Anaheim, California. "I'm sure it's that t read news >>