MacDonald (14-1) is ranked third on the UFC’s official 170-pound rankings behind Johny Hendricks and Carlos Condit. (St-Pierre is the titleholder and holds the rank of champion and isn’t included in the top ten UFC rankings.).
MacDonald’s only loss is to Condit in June 2010. The 23-year-old Canadian takes on fourth ranked Jake Ellenberger on July 27 in the co-main event of the UFC on Fox 8 fight card, and a win would move him solidly into title contention. But the question remains, is he willing to fight St-Pierre?
“I don’t think that Rory ever said he wouldn’t fight GSP. Rory said he doesn’t want to talk about fighting GSP,” said UFC president Dana White on Tuesday during a media conference call.
“I don’t think he’s ever said he won’t fight GSP. When that day comes, when he gets to that place where it’s time for GSP vs. Rory MacDonald, I’m sure that’s when Rory MacDonald will want to talk about fighting GSP,” added White.
Many people assume MacDonald won’t accept a fight with St-Pierre. He left the door open to many possibilities when asked if he’d make a move to the middleweight division to avoid fighting one of his mentors.
“I’m just going to focus on this fight for now. My whole career has kind of just been go with the flow. Everything changes after each fight, so I’ll see where I am after this fight and assess the options from there,” said MacDonald when asked about a potential move to middleweight.
A move to middleweight seems unlikely for the former King of the Cage lightweight champion who has competed as a welterweight since 2009. An eventual match-up with St-Pierre may be inevitable, if he can get past Ellenberger, of course.
Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>
Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company's fighters. It's no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over read news >>
Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>
The UFC is offering free tickets to Saturday's UFC 216 event in Las Vegas to first responders from last week's mass shooting in the city. UFC President Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto about the read news >>
For UFC Dana White, not canceling UFC 216 was a very important move, not for his company, but for his city. read news >>
Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Excited about the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rubber match trilogy fight at UFC 219 in December? Dana White says you should pump the brakesFiled under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White says more than 1,500 first responders from the Las Vegas shooting will be at Saturday’s UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
In the wake of the horrific Las Vegas shooting last weekend, UFC 216 is set to host more than 1,500 first responders and several of the shooting victims. read news >>
UFC president Dana White had a strong message in response to the Las Vegas shooting to open UFC 216 on Saturday night. read news >>