The organization apparently already has plans in place beyond the next 170-pound title fight, as well, and they include former longtime divisional kingpin Georges St-Pierre, UFC President Dana White told MMAjunkie today.
Although his return to competition originally was scheduled to take place against Michael Bisping for the middleweight title, St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) is expected to return to 170 later this year to challenge the winner between Woodley (17-3-1 MMA, 7-2-1 UFC) and Maia (25-6 MMA, 19-6 UFC).
“Georges and I talked a couple days ago when he was in Vegas,” White said in an exclusive interview at UFC headquarters. “Georges is saying he wants to fight; we’ll get this thing figured out. We’re talking about Tyron Woodley and Demian Maia. These two are going to fight soon. That will free up the 170-pound champion for Georges St-Pierre to return and try to regain his belt.”
UFC 214 takes place July 29 at Honda Center in Anaheim. The main card, including Woodley vs. Maia, airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass, though the bout order hasn’t been finalized.
Although White didn’t get into specifics about when or where St-Pierre would fight the winner – mainly because the fight result and injuries could have an impact on scheduled – the UFC’s planned return to Madison Square Garden in New York City this November would seem like the most obvious candidate.
Not only is New York just a short trip from St-Pierre’s native Montreal, but “Rush” also has deep ties in the city, with two of his longtime trainers and mentors, Renzo Gracie and John Danaher, working out of an academy in Manhattan.
St-Pierre held the UFC welterweight title for 2,064 days between 2008-2013. He vacated the belt following his ninth consecutive title defense against Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in November 2013, citing a number of reasons for taking the nearly four-year hiatus from competition.view original article >>
Stop it if you’ve heard this before: UFC champ Tyron Woodley and UFC President Dana White disagree on matchmaking. read news >>
It sounds like UFC President Dana White isn’t on board with a potential Conor McGregor vs. Georges St-Pierre super fight in the future.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Oluwale Bamgbose is no longer part of the UFC roster, and he’s not concerned about burning bridges on his way out the door.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Middleweight fighter Oluwale Bamgbose let loose a torrent of F-Bombs on the UFC, Dana White, and fans on Wednesday upon announcing his UFC exit. read news >>
The relationship between Dana White and Georges St-Pierre is still an openly toxic one. The latest example of this came on Wednesday as the UFC president bashed the former middleweight champion in an read news >>
UFC President Dana White told Undisputed that he has a meeting with Floyd Mayweather's people on Thursday and added that "anything is possible" when discussing the rumors of Mayweather potentially fi read news >>
UFC president Dana White isn't done dealing with Floyd Mayweather just yet. Last week, White confirmed rumors that he had talked to Mayweather about a possible deal that would see the 41-year old ret read news >>
Khabib Nurmagomedov surprised UFC President Dana White following his dominant performance against Edson Barboza at UFC 219.Filed under: Blue Corner, News, UFC read news >>
Dana White thinks he’ll have Conor McGregor back by this summer. If that’s to be the case, it sounds like McGregor has some stipulations.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Georges St-Pierre's coach is continuing to call for a historical match-up between his charge and Conor McGregor. read news >>