HOUSTON – Don’t start getting too excited about that Michael Bisping vs. Nick Diaz fight just yet. While you’ll struggle to find someone to say they wouldn’t be interested in seeing the two clash, UFC boss Dana White isn’t convinced Diaz is planning a return to the sport.
“I love that fight,” White said following today’s pre-UFC 166 media session. “I love that fight. I like it, but everything I hear from Nick Diaz is that he doesn’t want to fight.”
Talk of the potential bout first surfaced earlier this week, after UFC 166 main-card competitor and Diaz teammate Gilbert Melendez said he expected the former Strikeforce champion would end his current retirement if a convincing offer came along.
Bisping (24-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC) was all to happy to throw his hat in the ring, tweeting, “Well if Diaz wants a fight at 185 I would happily welcome him to the division.”
Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC), who’s done most of career work at welterweight, retired in the cage following a title loss to Georges St-Pierre in March. Few in the industry, though, have taken Diaz’s retirement too seriously. There was brief speculation about a new deal and though White recently offered him a fight with middleweight Lyoto Machida, Diaz has given no indication he’s seriously contemplating a return to the cage.
And if things are any different behind the scenes, White isn’t sharing. But he also isn’t hiding his enthusiasm for a potential Bipsing vs. Diaz slugfest.
“I love that fight,” White reiterated. “Fun fight.”
For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.
(Pictured: Nick Diaz)view original article >>
Hear everything Dana White had to say after the epic Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor event at the post-fight press conference. read news >>
Hear everything Floyd Mayweather had to say after beating Conor McGregor in their epic event at the post-fight press conference. read news >>
Dana White addressed questions about whether or not the UFC is considering getting into the boxing biz following Mayweather vs. McGregor's success. read news >>
The UFC is now working to find out why so many of its fans couldn't watch "The Money Fight" and has issued a statement. read news >>
Boxer Andre Berto has made a plea to UFC president Dana White to get in touch with him about a potential crossover to MMA. Berto, who fought Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2015, made it clear to TMZ he feel read news >>
UFC president Dana White addresses what's next for Conor McGregor and if he expects there to be issues with his top draw at the negotiating table. read news >>
After promising to take care of fans left out by technical difficulties, the UFC will attempt to make things right with refunds.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Three fighters from Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series were awarded UFC contracts following the eighth week of the weekly search for new talent. read news >>
Where was boxing pundit Max Kellerman when Dana White tried to reach out to him after Conor McGregor made it to the tenth round with Floyd Mayweather? read news >>
UFC president Dana White said Saturday's fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor drew 6.5 million pay-per-view buys in a conversation posted on Instagram by Mike Dice of Sports Illustrated: read news >>