Gustafsson last Thursday sustained a cut that required three stitches, according to the fighter, who verified on his website that the injury occurred after he slipped during wrestling practice. Though the light heavyweight contender expressed his desire to compete in spite of the cut, the SMMAF Medical Committee ruled that the injury would not heal in time for the Swede to receive clearance to meet Gegard Mousasi on Saturday at Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm. Gustafsson later posted a picture of the cut, which was located below his left eyebrow but above the eyelid.
On Wednesday morning, White posted his own photo of the fighter after receiving stitches.
“This pic was taken of Gustafsson today, and [you] can’t even see the cut!!!” White wrote. “Worst decision I have EVER seen to pull [a] fight.”
Mousasi will instead square off with Gustafsson’s countryman, Ilir Latifi, who makes his UFC debut riding a three-fight winning streak. Following the SMMAF’s decision to pull him from the bout, Gustafsson issued an apology to his fans and Mousasi.
“It is of course extremely sad when [my] training camp has gone very well. Except for the eyebrow, I am in my best form and completely ready for the match. It is also sad for my opponent, Gegard Mousasi, who has also been training long and hard for this match,” Gustafsson wrote on his official website. “My team and I have done everything we can to get set up and compete despite the cut; it is unfortunately not in our hands anymore. I am extremely sorry for this, and I feel [for] Gegard Mousasi. The next step now is that I sit down with the team and [start] planning the future. Thanks again for all your support!”view original article >>
UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports on Thursday the company decided to remove Mark Hunt from its event in Sydney next month as a medical precaution. "Sometimes, you gotta protect these guys from read news >>
UFC president Dana White had a strong message in response to the Las Vegas shooting to open UFC 216 on Saturday night. read news >>
For a brief flicker of time it appeared the UFC had the opportunity to book a massive super fight between Brock Lesnar and Jon Jones as both fighters were engaged in a war of words between interviews read news >>
On Thursday, UFC President Dana White shot down rumors that Conor McGregor was in negotiations to appear at WrestleMania 34 in New Orleans. Appearing on Good Day New York (h/t Corey Jacobs of Wrestli read news >>
The recently UFC on FOX 26 main event between Robbie Lawler and Rafael dos Anjos is a title-eliminator in the welterweight division. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Mark Hunt issued an expletive-filled message to UFC President Dana White after the heavyweight fighter was removed from the UFC Fight Night show in Sydney, Australia, on Nov. 19. Hunt's message to Wh read news >>
Mark Hunt knows exactly why he was pulled from the UFC Fight Night card in Australia although his excuse most likely doesn't jive with the reasons the promotion gave him the hook. On Tuesday, Hunt wa read news >>
UFC President Dana White watched coverage of last week’s mass shooting in Las Vegas and knew what the company needed to do. And it didn’t involve canceling Saturday’s UFC 216 event.Filed under: News, read news >>
UFC President Dana White said on a recent episode of ESPN's Dan Le Batard Show that WWE would not allow Brock Lesnar to fight again in the UFC while under contract with WWE. During the interview (h/t read news >>
Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>