#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

Just hours after defending his UFC light heavyweight championship for the third time, Jon Jones already knows who will try to take his title next.

UFC President Dana White announced Saturday night at the UFC 145 post-fight press conference that former Strikeforce and Pride Fighting Championships titlist Dan Henderson (Pictured, file photo) will now challenge “Bones” in a clash of generations.

“I feel great that I already have a mission,” Jones told the media of his upcoming title defense. “I’m going to work extremely hard to better myself. Dan Henderson is awesome, and he has a large fan base. I’m sure the haters are going to come out right away. He has extreme knockout power, and I’m excited to conquer this challenge. My goal will be to finish Dan Henderson, with all due respect.”

Jones emerged victorious from his long-awaited showdown with Rashad Evans in Saturday’s main event at Philips Arena in Atlanta, taking a unanimous decision to retain the gold. Using his superior reach to his advantage, Jones kept his former teammate at bay for the duration of the 25-minute contest.

“I felt great [tonight]. Rashad is an awesome opponent. He’s fast, and he punches hard. I respect Rashad a lot,” said Jones, who previously trained with Evans at Jackson’s Mixed Martial Arts in Albuquerque, N.M. “I would say that Rashad was my toughest fight to date. A lot of it was how tough he is, and some of it was my insecurities. He did big-brother me a few times in practice, so I think I was a little hesitant in some spots. I think this fight just brought me to another level mentally.”

Jones truly turned the tide in his favor in round two, when he blasted Evans with a series of standing elbows that staggered the former champion. Though “Suga” tried to work his way into punching range and even shot for several takedowns, Jones defended and countered nearly all of Evans’ offense. Nevertheless, the champion was still not completely satisfied with his performance after going the distance for the first time as UFC champion.

“I move smoothly when I’m working a heavy bag, but tonight I felt gangly and uncoordinated at some points. I think I just need to trust my [abilities] a little more,” Jones said. “[Trying to earn a] knockout was important to me. I wanted to back up what I said. I’m a big believer in goal-setting. Having goals keeps you on a path and keeps your eyes set on something. You can train to win, or you can train to finish and do something amazing. I didn’t [get the knockout], but I still sit here extremely grateful that neither of us are injured and live to fight another day.”

Jones’ collision with Evans marked the culmination of a feud roughly one year in the making. With the conflict between the two light heavyweights settled -- at least for the time being -- Jones was able to reflect on the lessons learned from fighting a former friend.

“I learned to stay away from other elite level fighters,” said Jones. “I have a lot of thinking to do about this situation. I hope to rekindle some communication with Rashad, and I hope we can do that in private. There is a lot of emotion between us that can lead to a friendship.”

While Jones clearly controlled the majority of the action in the cage, the champion still displayed respect for Evans’ punching power at several points, a fact that may have factored into his decision to pull guard in the fight’s waning seconds.

“I wouldn’t say I was hurt, but I would definitely say [Evans] wobbled me. There was one point where I got hit and tried to side-shuffle, and I stumbled. I was happy I was able to take punches from Rashad, because he hits hard,” said Jones. “I pulled guard because I am a mixed martial artist. A lot of times, people look at [pulling guard] as a sissy move, but I think a lot of [Brazilian jiu-jitsu] practitioners around the world loved it. It was a smart move.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Dan Henderson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Dana White Calls Michael Bisping's Assault Accuser a 'F--king P---y'

UFC President Dana White responded Thursday to the man who filed a lawsuit against middleweight champion Michael Bisping over an alleged assault at a gym in Anaheim, California. "I'm sure it's that t read news >>

UFC boss Dana White: Boxing could be a part of Zuffa's future

Zuffa Boxing, indeed. UFC President Dana White said it’s possible Zuffa’s schedule could include events in the square circle along with those in the octagon. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: No one wants Conor McGregor vs. Paulie Malignaggi, who turns focus to Artem Lobov

UFC President Dana White adamantly denies Paulie Malignaggi’s claim that a fight with Conor McGregor is in negotiations.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White fires back at Mark Hunt: 'How can you take your own words out of context?'

UFC President Dana White suggested he has no choice but to pull Mark Hunt from an upcoming UFC headliner, and the heavyweight’s recent complaints make little sense, he said.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217's Stephen Thompson thinks Dana White's title plans could change

Two-time UFC welterweight title challenger Stephen Thompson said Jorge Masvidal will be ready to throw down when they meet at UFC 217. “So am I.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

So, what's Jon Jones been up to lately?

We haven’t heard much lately from Jon Jones, the former UFC champion who’s facing a potentially long suspension. However, Jones apparently isn’t giving up on the possibility of someday returning to t read news >>

Dana White Engages in His Most Hilarious Podcast Interview Ever (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White joined UFC veteran Mike Swick for one of his most hilarious interviews ever. read news >>

Mickey Gall Sees UFC 217 As the First Defense of His 'Dana White Lookin' For a Fight' Title | MMAWeekly.com

Mickey Gall never takes for granted how he was discovered when the opportunity came to join the UFC roster. Just minutes after his professional mixed martial arts debut, Gall took a shot by calling o read news >>

Watch Dana White goof on the tattoos of Conor McGregor, Brock Lesnar, Alan Belcher

UFC President Dana White says he isn’t really a tattoo guy, which might be surprising for an MMA promoter. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Tries to ID Fighters by Their Tattoos: FAIL (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

How well does the UFC boss Dana White really know his fighters? White played "Guess Those Tattoos." read news >>