#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Bellator MMA #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Conor McGregor #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley

No matter how good a fight ends up being, there can always be a little controversy interlaced with the result.

As was the case in the main event for UFC on Fox 6 as Demetrious Johnson defeated John Dodson to retain his title on Saturday night.

In the fourth round of a very close fight, Demetrious Johnson landed an illegal knee to the head of John Dodson, prompting a pause in the fight and a stern warning from referee “Big” John McCarthy. The move happened when Johnson had Dodson pinned against the cage with his hand down and the former Ultimate Fighter winner put his hand on the mat, which signifies a “down fighter”, which then makes knees to the head illegal.

While UFC President Dana White doesn’t necessarily agree with the rule and how fighters tempt fate by place their hand on the mat simply to avoid that particular strike, he believes Johnson should have been penalized for the infraction.

“I hate the hand down, I hate that “if I put my hand down, I don’t have to get kneed in the face”. I don’t like it. The reason that that’s there is for soccer kicks or knees when a guy is really down, not just technical “oh I’m down”, I don’t like it,” White told Fuel TV after the fights ended.

“I do think the point should have been taken away. Here’s the thing about it too, it was absolutely an illegal knee, but it was an illegal knee that caused damage too. After that he had a mouse on his eye, he definitely got damaged from it, it should have been a point taken away for that.”

The scores for the Johnson vs. Dodson fight came back 49-46, 48-47, and 48-47 and if the point had been deducted in the fourth round, which all 3 judges scored for the champion, the fight would have ended in a majority draw.

That said, White doesn’t want to definitively give his score for the fight, but the ultra close nature of the entire 25-minute affair could eventually lead to John Dodson getting another shot at Demetrious Johnson.

“I have to watch it again before I go talking out of order here because I was up and down and watching it, but I’m pretty sure I gave Dodson the first three rounds, if not I gave him two of the first three rounds,” said White.

“It was a great fight, it was a very close fight, it’s definitely a controversial fight in the scoring, but it was that close, too. The third round was pivotal and that illegal knee is a big deal.”

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Ray Borg says he'll easily make weight for UFC 215 title fight; Demetrious Johnson believes him

“I’ve corrected my mistakes,” Ray Borg says of his past weight-cut struggles.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson: TJ Dillashaw Superfight Demands Superfight Money | MMAWeekly.com

Leading up UFC 215, Demetrious Johnson talks about his frosty relationship with Dana White over refusing to fight TJ Dillashaw. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Demetrious Johnson chases UFC history, makes a questionable nickname change

Should we be concerned about Ray Borg missing weight? What about Demetrious Johnson’s new nickname? That and more in this Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson: 'I Have a Target On My Back' (UFC 215 Main Event Preview) | MMAWeekly.com

One of the most dominant champions in UFC history returns to the Octagon this Saturday to defend his title against No. 3 ranked flyweight Ray Borg at UFC 215. read news >>

UFC 215 - Fight by Fight Preview

Preview the entire UFC 215 card with this fight-by-fight preview, featuring the main event title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg. read news >>

Coach: Demetrious Johnson's 11th UFC title defense will be 'biggest thing in combat sports'

Demetrious Johnson’s head coach Matt Hume says it’s always been the plan to set the UFC record for most consecutive title defensesFiled under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215's Neil Magny: Welterweight title shot 'within reach' if I beat Rafael dos Anjos

Neil Magny believes he could slide into a UFC welterweight title shot with a good showing vs. Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Wants to Set 'Legendary' Records Before Changing Divisions | MMAWeekly.com

On Saturday night at UFC 215, Demetrious Johnson will attempt to set the all-time record for title defenses in the UFC when he faces Ray Borg while putting his flyweight championship on the line for read news >>