#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Nick Diaz #Robbie Lawler

Lyoto Machida is a tricky opponent, but Dan Henderson believes he has the game plan to beat him Saturday at UFC 157.

Ahead of the matchup, Henderson joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer to discuss Machida, the possibility of a title shot and more.

On whether he’s fully recovered from the knee injury that kept him from fighting Jon Jones: “I’m ready to go. It’s not going to bother me in the fight at all.”

On Machida’s ability to control distance: “That’s probably the toughest part about fighting him is getting that range and kind of chasing him down a little bit without following him too much, just cutting him off and getting that distance right.”

On Machida’s striking: “He’s quick. I think in general I need to kind of not wait for him. That quickness that he has, if I’m sitting there waiting and he’s the one attacking, it makes it even tougher to counter. I think I need to be definitely controlling the pace of the fight. If I just wait on the outside and follow him around, that’s exactly what he loves. If I give him space, he loves to be able to run around and hopefully lull you a little bit into relaxing so he can rush at you with a nice straight left.”

On whether he had training partners who could mimic Machida: “It’s a little bit awkward. He moves around a lot. You get guys that move around a lot, and that’s the biggest thing. You get a couple of guys that are pretty quick and kick a lot and stop and counterpunch. It’s not that unheard of or that awkward. He’s different for sure, but I definitely have guys here that can mimic him well enough.”

On whether it bothers him that Chael Sonnen got the light heavyweight title shot against Jon Jones: “Obviously I’m friends with Chael and always wish the best for him, but in general for the sport, I thought it kind of just degraded the title a little bit when you get a guy that’s not even top 10, coming off a loss at the weight below, giving him a title shot. It doesn’t encourage some of the up-and-comer guys to really train hard, to think they might get passed over because the title shots aren’t really fair to who’s deserving of it but who can bring in the most pay-per-view dollars. But I’ve been around a while and I understand that. It is what it is, but at the same time, I didn’t agree with it. But I’m not the one running the company.”

On what winning a UFC title would mean to him: “It definitely would be kind of the cherry on top of my career. It’s definitely a goal of mine and something I plan on achieving before I’m done. If it happens now or if it happens after two or three fights -- I don’t plan on losing anymore fights, so I think it’s inevitable that that will happen.”

On how he feels and how much longer he plans on fighting: “I would say two or three [more] years. … Some days I feel like a 20-year-old. Some days I feel like a 60-year-old. Usually training camp wears me down a little bit and I’m worn out, but towards the end of training camp, when I begin to taper off and look to peak, I feel quite a bit younger. That’s where I’m at right now. I’m feeling pretty good. Honestly, my body was beat-up a little bit more when I used to wrestle. I feel good, but my kids are pretty active and as they get into high school, they’re going to keep me even busier than they do now. That’s time you never get back, so I want to make sure that I’ll be able to spend that time with them.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 15:25).

Galleries

Lyoto Machida Fights

• a year ago
  • 1913 views

Dan Henderson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Mueller believes she can be champ

“I feel like I’m so blessed that I found MMA and realized this is my calling,” she said. “I feel like I’m not just gonna be good at this; I truly believe that I’m going to be great and going to be a read news >>

Crowder believes fighting for the fans is most important

“The fans are the most important, that’s who we’re out there fighting for,” Crowder said. “Without them, we’re beating each other up for no reason. You want to have a good fan base, you want people f read news >>

Undefeated A.J. McKee set to fight Jeremy Petley at Bellator 187 in Ireland

A.J. McKee won’t face rival James Gallagher like he’d hoped, but they’ll be on the same card.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Francis Ngannou vs. Alistair Overeem booked as UFC 218 co-headliner in Detroit

UFC heavyweight prospect Francis Ngannou won’t get a title shot as he wished, but he will get an ex-champion in Alistair Overeem.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Frank Shamrock Replaces Dan Henderson Against Kazushi Sakuraba in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Frank Shamrock replaces Dan Henderson against Kazushi Sakuraba at a RIZIN FF event in Japan. read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes He'd Beat Floyd Mayweather in a Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is a man who learns from his mistakes. Much like avenging his loss to Nate Diaz in March 2016 by returning with a victory five months later in the rematch, McGregor has that same feeli read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Derrick Lewis' plan vs. Fabricio Werdum? 'Swing until hopefully I hit something'

UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis’ back isn’t 100 percent, but he’s still confident he’ll beat ex-champ Fabricio Werdum at UFC 216 with his trademark aggression.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>