#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #UFC Fight Night 120

Strikeforce champion Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos will lose her 145-pound title after testing positive for a banned substance on Dec. 16, UFC President Dana White said during a radio interview on Friday.

White also acknowledged that the development has left the future of the Strikeforce women’s featherweight division in doubt.

“We were going to hold that division and just do fights with Cyborg whenever there was a new contender,” White told ESPN 1100 Las Vegas. “She’s getting stripped of the of the title. This pretty much kills the division.”

Santos tested positive for the anabolic steroid stanozolol, also known as Winstrol, in a drug test taken the day before her successful Dec. 17 title defense against Hiroko Yamanaka in San Diego. The California State Athletic Commission learned of the positive test on Dec. 23 and suspended Santos for one year, retroactive to Dec. 16, and fined her $2,500. In addition, the result of her bout with Yamanaka was changed to a “no decision.”

On Saturday, Santos released a statement on her personal website.

“I would sincerely like to apologize to Strikeforce, the Zuffa organization, Hiroko Yamanaka and my fans for my failed drug test,” she said. “I am ultimately responsible for everything I put in my body, and at the end of the day, there is no excuse for having a prohibited substance in my system. I do not condone the use of any performance enhancing drugs by myself or any professional athlete, and willingly accept the penalties and fines that have been handed down to me by the California State Athletic Commission and those of the Strikeforce/Zuffa organization.”

Santos did not admit to using stanozolol, however, instead blaming the results of the positive test on a supplement she used to aid with her weight cut.

“While I was preparing myself for my last fight, I was having a difficult time cutting weight and used a dietary supplement that I was assured was safe and not prohibited from use in sports competition,” she said. “It was never my intention to obtain an unfair advantage over Hiroko, mislead Strikeforce, the Commission or my fans. I train harder than any fighter in MMA and do not need drugs to win in the cage, and I have proven this time and time again!

“My only mistake is not verifying the diet aid with my doctor beforehand, and understanding that it was not approved for use in the ring. Unfortunately, in the end, I suffer the consequences and must accept the responsibility for my actions.”

Since losing her mixed martial arts debut in 2005, Cyborg had reeled off 10 consecutive victories leading up to her meeting with Yamanaka. The Curitiba, Brazil, native hadn’t fought in the 18 months prior due to contractual issues as well as a lack of quality opponents. Cyborg had been dominant under the Strikeforce banner, earning one-sided victories against Hitomi Akano, Gina Carano, Marloes Coenen and Jan Finney since joining the promotion in 2009.

Comments

Joseph Duffy: McGregor vs. Ferguson the right match, but not because it's owed to division

Joseph Duffy doesn’t view it as Conor McGregor’s responsibility to unify the UFC lightweight title with Tony Ferguson next.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Oct. 31: 'Chaos' in the welterweight division

He may have angered a few folks in the process, but Colby Covington picked up a big win this past weekend to take a major stride in the rankings.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Bellator, MMA Rankings, Ne read news >>

Rose Namajunas Flattened Joanna Jedrzejczyk (UFC 217 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Rose Namajunas stuns Joanna Jedrzejczyk to become the new UFC women's strawweight division champion. read news >>

Rose Namajunas hopes to inspire by being an example

Elaborating on her positive approach at the UFC 217 post fight press conference, she reminded everyone “martial arts is about honor and respect.” read news >>

UFC champ Georges St-Pierre injured but won't 'freeze' division

UFC middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre revealed a neck injury but said he still plans to fight interim titleholder Robert Whittaker.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Johnson gets Darren Elkins at UFC Fight Night 124 in first featherweight bout

Michael Johnson will be welcomed to the UFC featherweight division by a formidable foe.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

ONE Championship 64 results: Martin Nguyen becomes 2-division champ with highlight-reel KO

Martin Nguyen made history in today’s ONE Championship 64 headliner, becoming the first simultaneous 2-division champion in company history.Filed under: News read news >>

Martin Nguyen Stuns Manila, Knocks Out Eduard Folayang, Becomes Two-Division Champ | MMAWeekly.com

Martin Nguyen stunned the crowd in Manila, knocking out Eduard Folayang to become ONE Championship's first two-division titleholder. read news >>

Before UFC-Norfolk headliner, watch Dustin Poirier KO Diego Ferreira in lightweight debut

Check out Dustin Poirier’s debut in the lightweight division in 2015 at UFC Fight Night 63.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dustin Poirier Demands to Be a Contender in Stacked UFC 155-Pound Division

Dustin Poirier is no longer asking to be taken seriously as a title contender in the stacked UFC lightweight division. After Saturday's third-round submission victory over Anthony Pettis in the main read news >>