#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Gokhan Saki #Ovince St. Preux #Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83

Cub Swanson may have earned the judges’ approval Saturday night in the co-main event of UFC on Fuel TV 7, but the featherweight contender sees plenty of room for improvement in the wake of his victory over Dustin Poirier.

“I knew he was going to be a tough guy, but I just know that I’m sharper than that,” Swanson told Fox Sports after his unanimous decision victory. “I was really frustrated about that, and I know I have to do better. I did enough to get the win, and I’m proud of that, but I could be better.”

Poirier did appear to be the tighter -- though not necessarily the more effective -- striker during their featherweight bout at Wembley Arena in London. However, Swanson managed to connect several times with hard, looping shots, notably clipping “The Diamond” with a sweeping uppercut in the first frame.

“I’m a lot more accurate than that. He did a pretty good job of holding back just enough,” said Swanson. “I give him credit. He was a lot trickier than I thought. My hat’s off to him. He was talking some trash, and I was like, ‘My apologies, but I won it.’”

Swanson consistently stuffed Poirier’s takedown attempts through a competitive first 10 minutes between the world-ranked 145-pounders. In round three, it was Swanson who shot for a takedown after Poirier began to find his range. While the decision resulted in Swanson winning the final round and the fight, the Jackson’s MMA product was nevertheless injured in the process.

“When I took him down, I landed on my head and my thumb at the same time. I’m glad I didn’t knock myself out,” said Swanson. “I bent my thumbnail back, and it started bleeding pretty good. That really hurt, but it’s cool. It’s part of the job I chose.”

The hard-fought victory should move Swanson further up the featherweight ladder, inching him one step closer to a rematch with reigning champion Jose Aldo. Swanson was initially supposed to face Dennis Siver on Saturday evening, but the German withdrew from their bout, leaving Poirier to fill in. Though a meeting with Siver would certainly make sense at this juncture, Swanson said he will be ready for whomever the UFC throws at him.

“I think [Siver] should fight another guy first. I could see [myself fighting Chan Sung Jung] or [having] a rematch with [Ricardo] Lamas,” said Swanson. “I’m trying to dominate these opponents, not just win. I’m going to go back in the gym and work it. I’m hungry.”

Galleries

Cub Swanson Fights

• 5 months ago

Comments

The photos are in: Ex-UFC champ Ronda Rousey, Travis Browne get married in Hawaii

The most dominant women’s champion in UFC history has been off the market for a while, and on Saturday, she made it official. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Aleksandar Rakic sees incoming 'new era' of UFC fighters: 'We are really hungry for it'

Aleksandar Rakic had never set foot in the octagon before UFC Fight Night 115, though you probably couldn’t tell by watching.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Reinvented Gilbert Melendez seeks 'historic fight' with Jeremy Stephens at UFC 215

Wins and losses be damned: Gilbert Melendez is going to stick to his roots when fighting fellow brawler Jeremy Stephens at UFC 215.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson: 'I Have a Target On My Back' (UFC 215 Main Event Preview) | MMAWeekly.com

One of the most dominant champions in UFC history returns to the Octagon this Saturday to defend his title against No. 3 ranked flyweight Ray Borg at UFC 215. read news >>

Referee and judges set for UFC 216's Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee title headliner

Veteran MMA referee Herb Dean will be the third man in the cage for UFC 216’s main event between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After upsetting Olympian Sara McMann, is Ketlen Vieira ready for a UFC title shot?

Ketlen Vieira now has a trio of UFC wins, and the latest – over Olympian Sara McMann – was a biggie. Does a title shot make sense next?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Luke Rockhold Wins but Stays in Middleweight Shadows

Last June, Luke Rockhold defended the UFC middleweight championship against Michael Bisping. Bisping, a seasoned veteran who had never even earned a title shot, took the fight against Rockhold on lat read news >>

Did Judges Get Amanda Nunes vs. Valentina Shevchenko Right? (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Amanda Nunes' split-decision victory over Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. read news >>

Now sitting on 4 straight wins, UFC-Rotterdam's Leon Edwards calls for Donald Cerrone – again

UFC Fight Night 115 winner Leon Edwards wants to showcase his skills for an American audience, preferably against Donald Cerrone.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 bonuses: Rafael dos Anjos, Henry Cejudo haul in $50K extra for impressive wins

“Fight of the Night” honors also went to Jeremy Stephens and Gilbert Melendez,Filed under: News, UFC read news >>