#UFC Fight Night 126 #Conor McGregor #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #Derrick Lewis #UFC Fight Night 57 #UFC Australia

Cub Swanson: Brian Ortega 'ain't making a name off of me' at UFC Fight Night 123

Brian Ortega is close to reaching critical mass as a UFC featherweight. After all, he’s booked against veteran Cub Swanson for his next bout at UFC Fight Night 123.

Ortega (12-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC), the No. 7 fighter in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings, has carved out an impressive niche in his octagon career, submitting four consecutive opponents in the third round. He’s earned a test.

The No. 6 Swanson (25-7 MMA, 10-3 UFC), a grizzled veteran who’s come within a step of a title shot, is just that type of opponent. The UFC will either mint a new star or certify an existing one.

Overall, the fight offers more upside for the 26-year-old Ortega, who’s got plenty of time to reset in the event of a setback. Swanson, 33, doesn’t have that luxury.

When the pair meet in the FS1-televised headliner of UFC Fight Night 123 on Dec. 9 at Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif., it will be the final fight on Swanson’s contract.

Calling his choice to test free agency “a power move,” Swanson is making a bet he’ll increase his leverage with the promotion by beating the red-hot Ortega, getting a salary increase through a new contract with the UFC or one with another promotion.

It’s a bet many fighters have taken over the past two years, to mixed results. Swanson figures now is the right time to make his move. He just welcomed his first child and wants to set himself up so he doesn’t need to take physical punishment to make a living.

He chooses to reframe the high stakes as a chance to show off his skills.

“It actually feels good,” Swanson said. “It feels like less pressure. Some people may take more pressure being the favorite, but man, I feel like I’ve worked so hard to be here, and I don’t see somebody coming and taking it from me.

“So whenever a guy that’s the new thing, they’re like, ‘Oh, this is the guy you’re fighting?’ I’m like, ‘He ain’t making a name off of me.’ I’m going to show him why I’m in the spot I’m in, and why I’ve been here so long. I keep getting better. Bring it on.”

Although Swanson believes he’s already a rightful contender for the title, he’s no longer dwelling on opportunities not offered. Ortega is the one in front of him that must be overcome.

“I don’t know exactly how he’s going to come into the fight,” Swanson said. “I know he likes to bang, but I’m sure he’ll try to use his jiu-jitsu, as well. I just see that he’s stylistically a great matchup for me.

“Every fight, I’m chasing the perfect performance and feel like I’m getting closer and closer, and that’s what makes me keep fighting. I feel like this could be it. This could be your perfect performance.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 123, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Cub Swanson Fights

• 10 months ago

Brian Ortega Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

Watch Derek Brunson Crumble Dan Kelly: UFC KO of the Week | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Derek Brunson make short work of Dan Kelly at UFC Fight Night 110. Brunson faces "Jacare" Souza at UFC on FOX 27 on Jan. 27 in Charlotte, North Carolina. read news >>

Joe Soto Excited To Go Into Hostile Environment At UFC Fight Night 125 | MMAWeekly.com

On February 3 in Brazil, Joe Soto (18-6) will look to get back on track against Iuri Alcantara (35-9) in a main card 135-pound bout at UFC Fight Night 125. read news >>

Eryk Anders Feels No Pressure Facing Lyoto Machida at UFC Fight Night 125 | MMAWeekly.com

At UFC Fight Night 125, unbeaten Eyrk Anders faces the biggest challenge of his career when he takes on former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida. read news >>

Michael Bisping announces he's not competing at UFC Fight Night 127 in London

With tickets set to go on sale later this week, UFC Fight Night 127 in London is still in need of a main event. read news >>

Lyoto Machida: Eryk Anders Should Be Careful What He Wishes For | MMAWeekly.com

Lyoto Machida returns to the Octagon at UFC Fight Night 125 on Saturday with a stern warning for opponent Eryk Anders. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Faces Alexander Volkov in Main Event at UFC Fight Night in London | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum will return to action in March as he faces upstart contender Alexander Volkov in the new main event just announced for UFC Fight Night in London on March 1 read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko Earns $50,000 Bonus For Bloody Beat Down At UFC Fight Night in Brazil | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchenko will leave Brazil with her first win at flyweight in the UFC as well as an extra $50,000 for 'Performance of the Night' in her win over Priscila Cachoeira. Shevchenko absolutely read news >>

Twitter reacts to Lyoto Machida's narrow win over Eryk Anders at UFC Fight Night 125

See the top Twitter reactions to Lyoto Machida’s win over Eryk Anders in the UFC Fight Night 125 main event. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 125 suspensions: Priscila Cachoeira faces six months

Following a brutal beatdown at UFC Fight Night 125, Priscila Cachoeira is facing a six-month medical suspension. read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters predict Donald Cerrone vs. Yancy Medeiros at UFC Fight Night 126

Who wins the UFC Fight Night 126 headliner between Donald Cerrone and Yancy Medeiros? Fellow fighters gave us their picks. read news >>