#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Michael Bisping

Brian Ortega is close to reaching critical mass as a UFC featherweight. After all, he’s booked against veteran Cub Swanson for his next bout at UFC Fight Night 123.

Ortega (12-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC), the No. 7 fighter in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings, has carved out an impressive niche in his octagon career, submitting four consecutive opponents in the third round. He’s earned a test.

The No. 6 Swanson (25-7 MMA, 10-3 UFC), a grizzled veteran who’s come within a step of a title shot, is just that type of opponent. The UFC will either mint a new star or certify an existing one.

Overall, the fight offers more upside for the 26-year-old Ortega, who’s got plenty of time to reset in the event of a setback. Swanson, 33, doesn’t have that luxury.

When the pair meet in the FS1-televised headliner of UFC Fight Night 123 on Dec. 9 at Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif., it will be the final fight on Swanson’s contract.

Calling his choice to test free agency “a power move,” Swanson is making a bet he’ll increase his leverage with the promotion by beating the red-hot Ortega, getting a salary increase through a new contract with the UFC or one with another promotion.

It’s a bet many fighters have taken over the past two years, to mixed results. Swanson figures now is the right time to make his move. He just welcomed his first child and wants to set himself up so he doesn’t need to take physical punishment to make a living.

He chooses to reframe the high stakes as a chance to show off his skills.

“It actually feels good,” Swanson said. “It feels like less pressure. Some people may take more pressure being the favorite, but man, I feel like I’ve worked so hard to be here, and I don’t see somebody coming and taking it from me.

“So whenever a guy that’s the new thing, they’re like, ‘Oh, this is the guy you’re fighting?’ I’m like, ‘He ain’t making a name off of me.’ I’m going to show him why I’m in the spot I’m in, and why I’ve been here so long. I keep getting better. Bring it on.”

Although Swanson believes he’s already a rightful contender for the title, he’s no longer dwelling on opportunities not offered. Ortega is the one in front of him that must be overcome.

“I don’t know exactly how he’s going to come into the fight,” Swanson said. “I know he likes to bang, but I’m sure he’ll try to use his jiu-jitsu, as well. I just see that he’s stylistically a great matchup for me.

“Every fight, I’m chasing the perfect performance and feel like I’m getting closer and closer, and that’s what makes me keep fighting. I feel like this could be it. This could be your perfect performance.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 123, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Cub Swanson Fights

• 7 months ago

Comments

Opponent switch: Eryk Anders meets LFA champ Markus Perez at UFC Fight Night 123

Eryk Anders will go from fighting one UFC newcomer to another when he makes his return to the octagon at UFC Fight Night 123. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

James Krause returning to lightweight at UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis

After much deliberation, James Krause will return to 155 pounds for his next UFC bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Darren Till vs. Stephen Thompson at UFC Fight Night 127 in England

The UFC is giving popular rising English welterweight Darren Till the fight he asked for – and in his home country, no less.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Why fighting Dustin Poirier at UFC Fight Night 120 made sense to Anthony Pettis

Anthony Pettis gives Dustin Poirier credit for having a “complete fighting style” but feels the UFC-Norfolk headlining matchup suits him well.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Johnson gets Darren Elkins at UFC Fight Night 124 in first featherweight bout

Michael Johnson will be welcomed to the UFC featherweight division by a formidable foe.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Nina Ansaroff and Angela Hill Throw Down (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Nina Ansaroff's decision victory over Angela Hill at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>

Sage Northcutt Dominates Michel Quiñones (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Sage Northcutt's domination of Michel Quiñones at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>

Clay Guida Quickly Crushes Joe Lauzon (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Clay Guida's crushing knockout of Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping suffered one of the toughest losses of his UFC career at UFC 217, dropping the middleweight championship to Georges St-Pierre after getting choked out cold. So how is the Brit recover read news >>

Andrei Arlovski Takes the Nod Over Junior Albini (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Andrei Arlovski's career-saving victory over Junior Albini at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>