Cub Swanson has packed a career’s worth of injuries into his first eight years as a professional MMA fighter.

That’s why the 28-year-old wants big fights now, just in case more injuries come and his future’s short.

“You never know when it’s going to be your last fight, and I want to be fighting the most exciting fights, the best guys and really leave my mark if I have to stop fighting at some point,” Swanson recently told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.”

In January, Swanson delivered what he considers the biggest win of his career -- a second-round stoppage of George Roop at UFC on Fox 2. It was a fight many expected Swanson to lose.

“Most of my best memorable performances were on undercards, and then my big losses were on the main cards,” Swanson said. “I feel like to the average person, that’s how they remember me is my not-so-good performances. I feel like I just need to step up and really showcase my skills when the time is right.”

He’ll get a chance Friday when he fights Ross Pearson, the lightweight winner of “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9, at UFC on FX 4 in Atlantic City, N.J.

“I just feel that I’m faster than him,” Swanson said. “He’s a person that I thought was a big [lightweight]. I was like, ‘This is going to be crazy. He’s going to get down to 145?’ So I always thought that he was going to be a pretty big [featherweight], but I’ve actually put on a bunch of size and strength and kept my speed, so I’m not as worried about that. I just know that he comes to fight and so do I. I feel like I might have a little bit more tools in my arsenal.”

Despite all of his injuries over the years, Swanson kept working on his game. If he stays healthy, he could cause problems in the UFC’s 145-pound division.

“I think the biggest thing for me when I was injured was I would like disappear for a year and I would always think to myself and laugh … like my opponents are going to think I haven’t been training,” Swanson said. “But when my jaw was wired shut, I was running on the treadmill. That was the only thing I could do. I was hitting the bag real light because they told me not to do anything, but I was in the gym with a wired jaw. When I broke my hands, I was sparring with a cast on one hand and punching with the other and kicking. When you do things like that, you really have to evolve your game and push yourself to think outside the box. I’ve always tried to improve and I think it shows.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 26:07).

Tyron Woodley Says His Adjustments are Easier Than Stephen Thompson's (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Welterweight champion Tyron Woodley believes the adjustments he has to make are easier than Stephen Thompson's heading into their UFC 209 rematch. read news >>

Injuries shuffle Houston lineup

Despite the emergence of the injury bug, UFC matchmakers have jumped into action and delivered a pair of intriguing matchups to thrill fight fans in Houston on the Feb. 4 Super Bowl weekend card at read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my process since first loss

DENVER – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at UFC on FO read news >>

UFC Performance Institute Hopes to Minimize Injuries, Advance Training Techniques | MMAWeekly.com

UFC recently unveiled irs newly constructed Performance Institute in Las Vegas. The enormous, 30,000 square foot facility was built to assist fighters. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my progress since first loss

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at read news >>

The Top 25 MMA Prospects for 2017, Part 2

The grind of high-level MMA is remorseless. Injuries, retirements and losing streaks all take their toll on the rosters of the major promotions, which means they constantly need a fresh supply of ath read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>