#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Dustin Poirier #Anthony Pettis #Cody Garbrandt #Colby Covington #Fabricio Werdum

Cub Swanson has packed a career’s worth of injuries into his first eight years as a professional MMA fighter.

That’s why the 28-year-old wants big fights now, just in case more injuries come and his future’s short.

“You never know when it’s going to be your last fight, and I want to be fighting the most exciting fights, the best guys and really leave my mark if I have to stop fighting at some point,” Swanson recently told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.”

In January, Swanson delivered what he considers the biggest win of his career -- a second-round stoppage of George Roop at UFC on Fox 2. It was a fight many expected Swanson to lose.

“Most of my best memorable performances were on undercards, and then my big losses were on the main cards,” Swanson said. “I feel like to the average person, that’s how they remember me is my not-so-good performances. I feel like I just need to step up and really showcase my skills when the time is right.”

He’ll get a chance Friday when he fights Ross Pearson, the lightweight winner of “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9, at UFC on FX 4 in Atlantic City, N.J.

“I just feel that I’m faster than him,” Swanson said. “He’s a person that I thought was a big [lightweight]. I was like, ‘This is going to be crazy. He’s going to get down to 145?’ So I always thought that he was going to be a pretty big [featherweight], but I’ve actually put on a bunch of size and strength and kept my speed, so I’m not as worried about that. I just know that he comes to fight and so do I. I feel like I might have a little bit more tools in my arsenal.”

Despite all of his injuries over the years, Swanson kept working on his game. If he stays healthy, he could cause problems in the UFC’s 145-pound division.

“I think the biggest thing for me when I was injured was I would like disappear for a year and I would always think to myself and laugh … like my opponents are going to think I haven’t been training,” Swanson said. “But when my jaw was wired shut, I was running on the treadmill. That was the only thing I could do. I was hitting the bag real light because they told me not to do anything, but I was in the gym with a wired jaw. When I broke my hands, I was sparring with a cast on one hand and punching with the other and kicking. When you do things like that, you really have to evolve your game and push yourself to think outside the box. I’ve always tried to improve and I think it shows.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 26:07).

Galleries

Cub Swanson Fights

• 7 months ago

Comments

Mike Perry: 'Darren Till Went Fishing for Bass and Caught a Shark' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Mike Perry believes that Darren Till may have hooked a bigger catch than he expected by calling him out. read news >>

Rob Font unfazed by Pedro Munhoz's ground game – and might earn his own black belt

Rob Font believes he can find a finish wherever his UFC Fight Night 119 meeting with Pedro Munhoz goes, “but I really want to get that second-round knockout.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Contender out of Title Tilt Following Severe Injury in an ATV Accident

Raquel "Rocky" Pennington's battle with injuries continue following an ATV accident in Colorado. First reported by Combate, Pennington confirmed the news to MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani on Friday. read news >>

Edson Barboza hears your jokes about Nurmagomedov's injuries and McGregor's belt

Edson Barboza got his desired fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov. Then he got flooded with a whole lot of jokes about his UFC 219 opponent’s injury and ailment woes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Lyoto Machida: This is My Time | MMAWeekly.com

Despite two years on the sidelines, Lyoto Machida believes that his time is now. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 bonuses: Derek Brunson's decimation of Machida was worth an extra $50,000

Derek Brunson’s first-round destruction of Lyoto Machida was worth an extra $50,000. Find out who else picked up bonus checks in Brazil.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Derek Brunson believes Luke Rockhold puts him 1 fight from title shot

Credit UFC light heavyweight champion and commentator Daniel Cormier for bringing middleweight Derek Brunson out of his shell.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jared Gordon believes he'd have gotten a finish had UFC Fight Night 119 not been in Brazil

Jared Gordon was close to stopping Hacran Dias in the second round at UFC-Sao Paulo. He thinks had it not been in Brazil, he would have.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Rose Namajunas: 'I Think I Have Way More Skills Than Joanna Jedrzejczyk' | MMAWeekly.com

No. 4 ranked women's strawweight Rose Namajunas believes she has the tools to topple undisputed champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. read news >>

'Silly arse kid' Luke Rockhold and 'not worth my time' Derek Brunson chirp on Twitter

So much for Derek Brunson’s attempt to book a fight with a former UFC middleweight champion.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>