#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Conor McGregor #Bellator MMA #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki

Cub Swanson wants to set the record straight.

Last Friday, Swanson appeared on the Sherdog Radio Network's “Beatdown” program opposite co-hosts T.J. De Santis and Jeff Sherwood, the latter of which asked Swanson if the oft-replayed nature of his 2009 knockout defeat to Jose Aldo made the featherweight yearn more intensely for another crack at “Scarface.”

“It does, but it's been a while. I've put it past me,” Swanson replied. “I know that I could win that fight 10 out of 10 times if we did it again. It's not even an issue to me anymore. I would actually love for my brother to fight him. [My brother] is more of an up-and-comer, which I feel is more of a fair fight.”

Swanson returned to “Beatdown” on Wednesday to clarify that comment, which Swanson says was made in reference to a potential rematch with former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver, who submitted Swanson with a guillotine choke nearly five years ago at WEC 31.

“We were going back and forth about different past opponents, and that was a mental error on my side,” Swanson said of his previous “Beatdown” appearance. “I was talking about Jens Pulver, and I thought you guys had asked me about a rematch with him. That's why I said that was a long time ago and that I had put it past me.

“No, [I don't want my brother to fight Aldo.] My brother is a [flyweight], and he fights at 135 [pounds] as well, but that's the fight that I would love for my brother to have -- with Jens. Jose Aldo is the fight that I want.”

Swanson then further elaborated on a hypothetical return bout with Aldo. While he may have misspoken in regard to the “10 out of 10 times” comment, that does not mean the Jackson's MMA representative would back down if he were given another opportunity to fight the UFC featherweight king.

“I don't feel that [a rematch with Aldo] would play out like it did that time,” said Swanson. “I feel like that was a once-in-a-longtime type of thing, and it's not going to happen again. If we fought again, I'm very confident, and I think it would be a hell of a fight.

“Personally, I've grown up a lot mentally [since the first bout]. I don't get nerves like I used to. I feel that the key for me is just being calm and confident,” Swanson continued. “In that fight, I was very one-track-minded, and I just felt like I had to do one thing right off the bat. It was too close-minded for me and not really my usual game plan, and it backfired.”

Swanson admits that the fallout from his initial comment has been frustrating. Though the featherweight feels sure of his abilities as a potential challenger to Aldo's throne, he does not want that confidence to be mistaken for arrogance.

“People want to be quick to remind you of what happened, but I feel like I've earned the respect to get another shot,” said Swanson. “It sucks getting people talking crap to you for something you didn't say or didn't mean to say. I just don't want to be seen as somebody who's a cocky jerk. I'm going to say that I'm confident in my ability, but I'm not ignorant [enough] to say that I'm going to demolish every fighter out there and that nobody has a chance against me. That's not me.”

Galleries

Jose Aldo Fights

• a year ago

Cub Swanson Fights

• 5 months ago

Comments

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

DWCS 8 results: Matt Frevola, Lauren Mueller punch their tickets to UFC with impressive wins

Undefeated lightweight Matt Frevola kept his record perfect with a second-round submission win over a previously unbeaten Luke Flores and securing a UFC contract in the process.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo Wants to Finish Fights in UFC Contract to Start Boxing, Coach Says

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo may soon follow in the footsteps of Conor McGregor and take his talents to the boxing ring. "He’s training boxing because he has this dream of competing in read news >>

Get to know TUF Cast: Shana Dobson

Turning pro in April of 2016, Dobson put together a 2-1 record and was a quick study in the sport who found out just as quickly that she had what it took to make a mark at 125 pounds. read news >>

Showtime: Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor 'trending' to break 4.6 million PPV buys record

Showtime executive Steven Espinoza projects “The Money Fight” in the “mid to high” four million range for the U.S. and Canada.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo: No moral victory for Conor McGregor in TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather

Jose Aldo says he didn’t even watch “The Money Fight” but wasn’t surprised – or impressed – when he heard about how it ended.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Showtime Confirms Mayweather vs. McGregor Card Nearing Record Breaking Numbers | MMAWeekly.com

Floyd Mayweather taking on Conor McGregor was expected to be the most talked about fight of 2017 but when it's all said and done, the event may go down as the biggest of all time. Showtime executive read news >>

Michael Johnson Dropping to Featherweight, Wants to Face Jose Aldo | MMAWeekly.com

Ninth-ranked lightweight Michael Johnson wants to drop down to the featherweight division to take on 'new face,' and wants to fight former champion Jose Aldo. read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Jose Aldo and head coach Andre Pederneiras weigh ex-UFC champ's future options

Former featherweight champion Jose Aldo wants to fulfill a lifelong dream of fighting at Madison Square Garden. That could happen at UFC 217 – but he needs a dance partner first.Filed under: Featured read news >>