#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #UFC 215 #DWTNCS

Dominick Cruz (file photo) avenged his only loss Saturday night in Las Vegas at UFC 132. | Photo: Sherdog.com

Dominick Cruz finally got the monkey off his back at UFC 132, as the promotion's reigning bantamweight champion successfully defended his belt against the only man to ever beat him in Urijah Faber.

With his victory on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Cruz evened the score with “The California Kid,” furthering his status as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters on the planet.

“I really felt that I had the opportunity to either make history or become history, and everything inside me said I was going to make history this evening, and I did it,” said Cruz in a postfight interview with UFC.com.

Cruz and Faber first met in 2007 at WEC 26, clashing over Faber's featherweight title. The bout ended quickly, with Faber sinking one of his trademark arm-in guillotines and forcing Cruz to submit just 98 seconds into the contest.

By contrast, tonight's bout could not have looked more different, as the five-round title tilt taxed and tested both Cruz and Faber's skill and resolve for a full 25 minutes. In the end, however, it was Cruz who was validated, his volume-punching and movement winning out in the eyes of the judges.

“I had to get [Faber's] timing,” said Cruz. “I knew that the knees up the middle were going to work, because he runs in real hard and powerful. It took me a minute to time him, because he feints and he is quick; but that fourth round, I finally had his timing. I landed that jump-knee, and I think I rocked him a little bit.”

Though the pre-fight buildup was filled with tension from both sides, Cruz gave Faber his due following the contest, complimenting the former champion's power on multiple occasions. Faber floored the champ several times during their rematch, but Cruz was always able to spring right back to his feet and reset his unpredictable standup attack.

In addition to the general distaste between the two parties, also easily noticed in the weeks leading up to the event was Cruz's growing irritation with questions about his loss to Faber. If the fighter has his way, he'll never again have to answer another query about the lone loss on his record.

“I wanted to go out there and get that loss back. I’m undefeated, now, baby,” said Cruz. “I think [the win] will get people to quit asking me if I’m going to get that loss back from Urijah, because I got it.”

Though he champ likely just earned the sweetest win of his career, Cruz has no plans to become content with his accomplishments. Rather, the champ's new, clean slate now has him scanning the horizon for future competition.

“Let's talk about me owning the title and keeping it for as long as possible. I’m hungry, baby. I’m going to keep staying hungry, and I’m going to keep winning.”

Galleries

Dominick Cruz Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Germaine de Randamie completes hand surgery with 'no complications'

Ex-UFC champ Germaine de Randamie finally underwent hand surgery, and from all indications it was a success. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Aleksandar Rakic sees incoming 'new era' of UFC fighters: 'We are really hungry for it'

Aleksandar Rakic had never set foot in the octagon before UFC Fight Night 115, though you probably couldn’t tell by watching.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Neil Magny Result: Winner and Reaction from UFC 215

Rafael dos Anjos is here to stay at 170 pounds. Facing Neil Magny in the show's co-main event, the former lightweight champion put on an absolutely dominant performance, scoring a first-round submiss read news >>

Fire-Breathing Luke Rockhold Looks to Reassert Himself as Top UFC Middleweight

Now that Luke Rockhold is finally set to return to the Octagon on Saturday in the main event of UFC Fight Night 116, you think it's possible the disgruntled former middleweight champ might tone thing read news >>

Jesse Taylor Flatly Denies Taking Steroids, Vows to Fight UFC Anti-Doping Charge | MMAWeekly.com

Jesse Taylor was recently popped for a UFC anti-doping violation, but he vowed to fight the charges. read news >>

Alex Nicholson picks up heavyweight win, aims for UFC return

Four-time UFC veteran Alex Nicholson is looking for a return to the sport’s top promotion, but he’s hoping to do so in a new division.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Trading Shots: On toughness, tapping to strikes, and the things that only fighters know

David Branch tapped to strikes at UFC Fight Night 116, which usually earns fighters some criticism from fans and peers. But when others fight past the point of good sense, was this actually the smart read news >>

Watch Ovince Saint Preux Make Quick Work of Shogun Rua (UFC Japan Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Ovince Saint Preux make quick work of Mauricio "Shogun" Rua with a quick, brutal finish. read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Branch Fantasy Rewind

At the end of the night, the favorites ruled, with eight fighters coming away victorious according to the picks made by fantasy players. Here's your Pittsburgh Fantasy Rewind. read news >>