#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Conor McGregor #DWTNCS #GGG #Nate Diaz #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

Costa Philippou and Riki Fukuda at UFC 148Constantinos Philippou is quickly emerging as the dark horse in the UFC’s middleweight division.

Since the Cypriot’s first loss in the Octagon, he has grown leaps and bounds as a fighter, embarking on a four-fight win streak over the likes of Jorge Rivera, Court McGee, and Riki Fukuda.

As Philippou readies for battle, he’s discovered that the bright lights are on him this time as he fights on the main card against Nick Ring at UFC 154: St. Pierre vs. Condit. Although those bright lights are on and it’d be easy to stare into a future of title contention, Philippou isn’t being blinded. He has ate, slept and breathed this fight well before he even arrived in Montreal.

“I feel that things are moving towards the right direction and I feel that if I keep winning that everything else will come,” Philippou told MMAWeekly Radio.

“But right now, talking about a title shot doesn’t even cross my mind.  To be honest, I don’t even care.  Right now, I’m saying Nick Ring.  I wake up and I’m thinking Nick Ring.  I go to sleep and I’m thinking Nick Ring.  Now, winning this fight would definitely put me on the map and I’ll officially be a contender.

“Other than that, I just want to win my next fight and I’ll take it from there.  I’m not even thinking about world opponents or how many fights it’ll take to the title.  I’ll do one fight at a time and you can’t look over Nick Ring, Nick Ring is an amazing fighter.  All my focus is on Nick right now and if everything goes my way, we’ll talk again after the fight.”

Although Philippou would be the first one to tell you he’s ready to make the jump to fight a contender, his full focus remains on making a lasting impression against Nick Ring at UFC 154. And the Serra-Llongo Fight Team protégé makes it no secret that he intends to box with his Canadian opponent en route to victory.

“There’s no secret to what I’m going to do or what I usually do; I’m going to go in and strike with the guy.  I see Nick Ring as more of a jiu-jitsu practitioner.  I know that he chooses to strike most of his fights, but from what they told me, he’s a brown belt in jiu-jitsu and a very good jiu-jitsu practitioner.

“I’m looking to go out there and show my ability to fight and put on a great show.  After the crowd goes home and they say, ‘Oh, who’s that guy who knocked Nick Ring out? That guy is amazing.’ That’s my plan going out there, to put on a good enough show for them to remember after the next day or the following week.  I don’t want to go out there and roll around or hold each other and be a boring fight.  I want a highlight with it being the fight that you want to see again.”

At the end of the day, the importance of this fight against Ring weighs heavily on Philippou’s mind.  Although he blocks out the glamor that comes with an impressive performance, he knows that a win should put him on the right path towards middleweight contention.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your UFC 154 news and fight coverage.

Comments

Dana White reveals plans for Jon Jones vs. Stipe Miocic at UFC 218 before failed drug test

UFC President Dana White said the plan was for Jon Jones to fight heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic at UFC 218 before Jones’ failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 Talking Points: Nunes, Dos Anjos and Cejudo

Finding a new challenger for Amanda Nunes, Rafael Dos Anjos' steps towards a title shot, the evolution of Henry Cejudo and more in UFC 215 Talking Points. read news >>

Reebok didn't flub Demetrious Johnson's T-shirt; UFC champ plans on changing his nickname

It looked like the UFC’s official apparel partner flubbed again with Demetrious Johnson’s nickname. Not so, says “Mighty Mouse” (for now).Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

Luke Rockhold Plans Move to Light Heavyweight After Daniel Cormier Retires | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has some unfinished business in the UFC middleweight division, but it doesn't sound like the former champion plans on staying at 185 pounds that much longer. On Saturday night, Rockhold read news >>

UFC-Japan broadcast plans set for FXX, including Alan Jouban's analyst debut

UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan this weekend will feature the in-studio debut of a new fight analyst.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes thinks she won 4 of 5 rounds, plans to take off rest of 2017

UFC women’s bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes has no doubt she dominated Valentina Shevchenko, winning four of five rounds in their rematch at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Mike Perry quickly KOs Alex Reyes, calls out Robbie Lawler

Mike Perry scored his second consecutive knockout win, using a devastating knee to finish late replacement Alex Reyes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Luke Rockhold stops David Branch, tells Georges St-Pierre to step aside

Luke Rockhold appeared a bit hesitant in his first appearance in more than 15 months but shook off the rust to finish David Branch.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Luke Rockhold's finish of David Branch at UFC Fight Night 116

See how Twitter reacted to Luke Rockhold’s victory over David Branch in the UFC Fight Night 116 main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>