Yoshiyuki Yoshida in Singapore

It wasn’t long ago that Japanese Judoka Yoshiyuki Yoshida was making his debut in the UFC with bright prospects for the future.

In his run to make it to the UFC, Yoshida picked up a dominant win over former top ten fighter Akira Kikuchi, and was coming off a win over future Octagon fighter Dan Hardy as well (although that was by disqualification after an illegal groin strike).

Yoshida’s Octagon career started off well when he choked out former “Ultimate Fighter” competitor War Machine in his debut fight. That’s when his rough patch started.

A knockout loss to Josh Koscheck definitely served as a wake-up call to Yoshida just how tough the competition was in the UFC. He bounced back with a win over Brandon Wolff before suffering another crushing knockout at the hands of Anthony Johnson. That was followed by a decision loss to Mike Guymon before getting bounced from the UFC.

Yoshida got another shot at a big time MMA promotion when he fought in Bellator in 2010, but that didn’t go his way either after being TKO’d by Chris Lozano in his only fight there.

So going into his last fight against Ferrid Kheder, the deck was definitely stacked against Yoshida. He admits that the pressure was mounting off three straight losses, where a fourth may have brought about the end of his career.

“I felt so much pressure before this fight,” Yoshida told MMAWeekly.com. “If I lost that fight, then maybe my career as a MMA fighter would have been done, and I would be looking for an another job.”

It was a hard road to go down for Yoshida. Along with the three losses in a row, he started to lose confidence and then the faith he had in his own abilities started to fade as well.

But through hard work and perseverance in the gym, Yoshida started to break through the wall a little bit at a time. Like chipping away at a piece of sandstone, Yoshida was able to reform himself into the fighter he knew he was just a few years ago, and a better fighter could emerge for the future.

“For this past two years or so, I struggled a lot. I couldn’t win fights and I almost stopped believing in myself, but I just continued training every day and, little by little, I think I got back onto the right track,” said Yoshida.

“So right now I am feeling good, and training with Japan’s top fighters every day.”

The next step in Yoshida’s return will come this weekend at One FC in Singapore where he faces fellow Octagon veteran Phil Baroni. Like past opponents, Yoshida is well aware of the knockout power that Baroni possesses, but it’s nothing he hasn’t seen before.

“I know it’s dangerous to exchange punches with Phil. So I have a strategy on how to fight Phil, but just can’t reveal my tactics here,” Yoshida commented.

In the long term, like a lot of fighters, Yoshida would love the chance to prove he belongs in the UFC, but that’s in the distance for now.

Yoshida’s immediate goals only go as far as Singapore, One FC, and a fight with Phil Baroni this weekend.

“Ultimately, I would like to get another chance in the UFC, but, for now, I am only thinking about doing a good fight for One FC and win in the One FC, that’s all,” said Yoshida.

“And if I win, I am sure there will be another opportunity for me.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC Fight Night 105's Johny Hendricks now serious about retirement talk if 185 doesn't work out

Johny Hendricks has talked about the possibility of retirement before. It came recently, in fact.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 Athlete Outfitting pay: Top earners all suffer losses

DENVER – Fighters from Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $155,000.Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

Citing brain scan abnormality, UFC women's strawweight Aisling Daly announces retirement

Citing an abnormality that showed up on a recent brain scan, UFC women’s strawweight Aisling Daly today announced her retirement from MMA. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Broken at UFC 193, According to Holly Holm's Coach

With Ronda Rousey's UFC future in question following consecutive losses, Holly Holm's coach expressed his belief that the formerly dominant star is done with fighting. In an interview this week with read news >>

Holly Holm: 'I Know I'm Coming off Two Losses, Don't Want a Third' (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Holly Holm is coming off back-to-back losses for the first time in his career and desperately doesn't want to suffer a third. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

Medical Issue Forces UFC Fighter Aisling Daly to Announce Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

Aisling Daly hasn't fought since October of 2015, and she won't be fighting again any time soon. read news >>

Derek Brunson Says Anderson Silva's Losses are Due to 'Unfortunate Events' | MMAWeekly.com

Middleweight contender Derek Brunson faces former champion Anderson Silva in the UFC 208 co-main event with hopes that a win will put him back into title talk. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Nate Marquardt talks staving off retirement, fighting former training partner in Alvey

DENVER – It wasn’t that long ago that Nate Marquardt was ready to hang up his gloves and move on to something else. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Tecia Torres admits she's not jazzed about rematching Bec Rawlings

HOUSTON – UFC strawweight Tecia Torres is looking at her resume – not her opponent – as motivation for her upcoming fight. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>