With Joe Proctor (8-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) out of this month’s UFC 159 event due to an injury, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported on Wednesday, one potential replacement has thrown his hat into the cage as a possible replacement.
Conor McGregor (13-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who recently won a “Knockout of the Night” award in his promotional debut at UFC on FUEL TV 9, wants the fight with fellow lightweight Al Iaquinta (5-2-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC).
It’d mark his second fight in just three weeks. His most recent, in which he stopped Marcus Brimage in the first round, came at featherweight. This one would come at lightweight for the Irish fighter, who previously held 145- and 155-pound titles with the U.K.-based Cage Warriors promotion.
“April 27th New Jersey!!! 155lbs versus a TUF finalist!!! WHO WANTS TO SEE IT?” tweeted McGregor, who directed earlier messages to UFC executives Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta.
UFC 159 takes place April 27 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The Proctor fight is slotted for the FX-televised prelims, which precede the night’s pay-per-view main card.
McGregor’s win over Brimage, which came in quick and efficient fashion (in just 67 seconds) at Stockholm’s Ericsson Globe Arena, marked his ninth consecutive win overall. All have come via stoppage, including seven in the first round. The 24-year-old has said his goal is to hold both the lightweight and featherweight UFC titles.
Iaquinta recently posted a runner-up finish on “The Ultimate Fighter 15? after a loss to Michael Chiesa. He hasn’t fought since that June 2012 fight while recovering from a knee surgery.view original article >>
UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor is benched for two months following his 10th-round knockout loss to Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC champion Conor McGregor weighs in on the disrespect that the boxing community showed him in his attempt to crossover into boxing. read news >>
Will UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor's next fight be in a boxing ring or inside the Octagon? read news >>
UFC president Dana White addresses what's next for Conor McGregor and if he expects there to be issues with his top draw at the negotiating table. read news >>
Dana White, president of the UFC, told reporters he's "so proud" of Conor McGregor after the 29-year-old Irish star of the Octagon lasted 10 rounds against Floyd Mayweather Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena read news >>
Conor McGregor’s future after his loss to Floyd Mayweather is uncertain. If he chooses boxing, he’s got a supporter in Leonard Ellerbe.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Now that Conor McGregor’s foray into the world of boxing is over – for now, anyway – let the callouts of the UFC champion begin.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
Each week viewers are reminded that “there are no rules” on the alternative audio feed known as SnoopCast, piloted by Snoop Dogg. Now the rap superstar may find out if that applies to his comments el read news >>
UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor has a plethora of career options following his loss to Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Boxing great Sugar Ray Leonard gives his thoughts on the huge fight between UFC champion Conor McGregor and unbeaten boxing legend Floyd Mayweather Jr. read news >>