Despite walking away from the sport he loves, Chris Lytle still has the fire. | Photo: Mike Fridley

Chris Lytle has only been retired for a few months, but already he understands why so many fighters struggle to walk away from the sport for good.

“I don’t believe that fighters are made. I think they’re born, and it’s kind of who you are,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “With me, I still have that competitive fire. It wasn’t a point of me being like, ‘I hate fighting. I don’t want fight.’ It was a point of me deciding I’m going to [retire] because I need to spend more time with my kids, but that doesn’t make that competitive fire go away.”

Lytle went out on a great note in August with a submission victory over Dan Hardy at UFC Live 5. The bout capped a long career of entertaining performances.

“When you win, it’s just such a good feeling of achievement,” Lytle said. “It’s kind of unbelievable, and not only that, there’s fans there, thousands of people cheering for you, everybody watching. It’s about as good a feeling as it gets when you win. It’s about as bad a feeling you can have when you lose. It’s addictive. When you win, you want to always have that feeling.”

Lytle also wanted to spend more time with his family, though, and he’s doing that now. He’s staying involved with the sport as well by training kids through the Indianapolis Police Athletic League, coaching high school wrestling and putting on seminars. All of those activities are rewarding and keep him occupied, but they haven’t quenched his thirst for competition.

“It doesn’t go anywhere,” Lytle said of the urge to fight. “Maybe I’m hoping it will just kind of slowly, day after day, maybe it will go away a little bit. I don’t know, but it’s not really happening. I go to an event and I’m like, ‘Man, this sucks.’ There’s no light at the end of the tunnel. There’s no anything for me to kind of look forward to in that aspect. It’s very tough. I’m trying to fulfill it with other things. … I can see where a lot of people, when they stop, they’re going to be bored. They’re just not going to know what to do. It’s kind of like being addicted to a drug, I think, but it’s not a drug.”

Lytle might find his fix in politics. He’s running for state senate in Indiana and he plans on bringing a fighter’s mentality to office if he wins.

“I would love it if somebody’s going to try to tell me, ‘This is how we have to do things,’” Lytle said. “Because I’m going to say, ‘I don’t have to do them like that. You’re not going to tell me to do them like that. You’re not going to scare me.’ I think a lot of these people get intimidated, and that’s all they want to do is get in there and get reelected and stay popular. I don’t care if I get in there and people like me or what not. I want to try to do what’s best for the people around me and whatever happens, happens.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 14:53).

Tito Ortiz Bows Out, Twitter Weighs In... Including Ken Shamrock | MMAWeekly.com

Tito Ortiz retired Saturday following a first-round finish of Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170. Following his final fight, fighters paid their respect on Twitter. read news >>

Now-retired Tito Ortiz plans to enjoy family, but eyes working for Bellator in future

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – The newly retired Tito Ortiz will take some time off in the short term. He isn’t done with with the sport – he’s just done fighting.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, V read news >>

Video: Watch UFC Fight Night 104 headliner Dennis Bermudez take on Jimy Hettes in 2014

In next month’s UFC Fight Night 104 headliner, featherweight contender Dennis Bermudez returns to action. Check out one of his vintage performances from 2014.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Three More Strikers for the Fighting Connoisseur | FIGHTLAND

Every few months we like to put together a list of strikers hoping to expand the horizons of fight fans. When there is breathing room in the jam packed schedule of MMA events it’s always nice to unwi read news >>

Three More Strikers for the Fighting Connoisseur | FIGHTLAND

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Potential Conor McGregor PPV Fight

The speculation surrounding a potential superfight that would feature retired boxing legend Floyd Mayweather Jr. and UFC star Conor McGregor continues to build in 2017. In a Showtime interview Saturd read news >>

UFC on Fox 23 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into Fight Night 104

UFC on Fox 23 is in the books. The results are as follows: Main Card Valentina Shevchenko def. Julianna Pena via second-round submission Jorge Masvidal def. Donald Cerrone via second-round TKO Franci read news >>

Jimi Manuwa vs. Corey Anderson headlines UFC Fight Night 107 in London

With less than two months until the event, UFC Fight Night 107 finally has a headliner. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Josh Koscheck vs. Mauricio Alonso added to Bellator 172 main card with Piccolotti-Primus canceled

Next month’s Bellator 172 card has lost a fight but gained two more, including the long-delayed promotional debut of former UFC title challenger Josh Koscheck.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Fernando Gonzalez among Bellator 174 additions

Next month’s Bellator 174 fight card has a slew of new additions, including a pair of main-card bouts.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>