#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Saturday Night Fights #Conor McGregor #David Branch #GGG #DWTNCS #Nate Diaz #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

Despite walking away from the sport he loves, Chris Lytle still has the fire. | Photo: Mike Fridley

Chris Lytle has only been retired for a few months, but already he understands why so many fighters struggle to walk away from the sport for good.

“I don’t believe that fighters are made. I think they’re born, and it’s kind of who you are,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “With me, I still have that competitive fire. It wasn’t a point of me being like, ‘I hate fighting. I don’t want fight.’ It was a point of me deciding I’m going to [retire] because I need to spend more time with my kids, but that doesn’t make that competitive fire go away.”

Lytle went out on a great note in August with a submission victory over Dan Hardy at UFC Live 5. The bout capped a long career of entertaining performances.

“When you win, it’s just such a good feeling of achievement,” Lytle said. “It’s kind of unbelievable, and not only that, there’s fans there, thousands of people cheering for you, everybody watching. It’s about as good a feeling as it gets when you win. It’s about as bad a feeling you can have when you lose. It’s addictive. When you win, you want to always have that feeling.”

Lytle also wanted to spend more time with his family, though, and he’s doing that now. He’s staying involved with the sport as well by training kids through the Indianapolis Police Athletic League, coaching high school wrestling and putting on seminars. All of those activities are rewarding and keep him occupied, but they haven’t quenched his thirst for competition.

“It doesn’t go anywhere,” Lytle said of the urge to fight. “Maybe I’m hoping it will just kind of slowly, day after day, maybe it will go away a little bit. I don’t know, but it’s not really happening. I go to an event and I’m like, ‘Man, this sucks.’ There’s no light at the end of the tunnel. There’s no anything for me to kind of look forward to in that aspect. It’s very tough. I’m trying to fulfill it with other things. … I can see where a lot of people, when they stop, they’re going to be bored. They’re just not going to know what to do. It’s kind of like being addicted to a drug, I think, but it’s not a drug.”

Lytle might find his fix in politics. He’s running for state senate in Indiana and he plans on bringing a fighter’s mentality to office if he wins.

“I would love it if somebody’s going to try to tell me, ‘This is how we have to do things,’” Lytle said. “Because I’m going to say, ‘I don’t have to do them like that. You’re not going to tell me to do them like that. You’re not going to scare me.’ I think a lot of these people get intimidated, and that’s all they want to do is get in there and get reelected and stay popular. I don’t care if I get in there and people like me or what not. I want to try to do what’s best for the people around me and whatever happens, happens.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 14:53).

Comments

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor: Expert Picks for the Megafight

Years of trash talk led to months of hype, which will all finally culminate in a grand Saturday night spectacle when Floyd Mayweather squares off against Conor McGregor at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor: Tale of Tape, Fight Records and More for Both Fighters

After months of build-up, Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. will consummate their deal to punch each other's faces and collect copious amounts of cash. The matchup between the two has crossed t read news >>

Floyd Mayweather's Son, Koraun, Says His Dad Is Retired After Conor McGregor TKO

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has maintained his 10th-round TKO of Conor McGregor would be his last professional fight. Now his son is backing him up. Mayweather's son, Koraun, told TMZ Sports there is "no ch read news >>

'The Money Fight' medical suspensions: Conor McGregor gets 2-month suspension

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor is benched for two months following his 10th-round knockout loss to Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The 10: September’s Most Anticipated, Intriguing and Exciting Matchups

Here’s a look at the most compelling, competitive and important fights set to hit the cage in the month ahead. This is The 10. read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam results: Mairbek Taisumov needs just 84 seconds for one-punch knockout finish

After nearly 17 months away from competition, Mairbek Taisumov returned with a highlight-reel finish.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC vet Brad Pickett slaps Cage Warriors champ Nathaniel Wood because his dad doesn't

Although UFC and WEC vet Brad Pickett has officially retired from fighting, he isn’t past hitting other men in the face. But don’t worry: It’s for a noble cause.Filed under: Blue Corner, Cage Warrior read news >>

Cage Warriors 88 gets 2nd title fight: Lee Chadwick vs. Victor Cheng

Next month’s Cage Warriors 88 event now has a second title fight: Lee Chadwick vs. Victor Cheng.Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

Nunes Seeks 2nd Title Defense vs. Shevchenko in UFC 215 Main Event

Two months after title fight was cancelled the morning of the fight, Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko are finally ready for their rematch with the women's bantamweight championship on the line i read news >>

Michael Bisping: 'Georges St-Pierre Will Remember Why He Retired' | MMAWeekly.com

Middleweight champion Michael Bisping believes Georges St-Pierre will be reminded of why he stepped away from fighting when the two meet on Nov. 4. read news >>