#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Rizin 7 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #GSP #Quinton Jackson #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping

Rich Franklin at UFC 53Since losing to middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva in 2007, Rich Franklin has stepped up to the plate for the UFC time and time again.

The former math teacher has repeatedly done favors for the UFC, like stepping into last-minute main event spots, such as he did at Saturday’s UFC 147 against Wanderlei Silva.  With Vitor Belfort out due to a hand injury, the UFC needed a main event and Franklin took the fight on two weeks notice.

Knowing how big UFC 147 was, and what it means to the UFC and Brazil, Franklin couldn’t pass up the opportunity to fight Silva one more time. He wound up taking a unanimous decision over Silva after their five-round showdown.

“To be here in Brazil and fight Wanderlei pretty much in his home town, I’ve been in this position before,” Franklin said at the UFC 147 post-fight press conference.

“For the second time when Anderson came in my hometown and defeated me, so I know what that feels like.  I know that this is a big fight not only for just, but for the country, for the UFC and all that kind of stuff.

“Although I didn’t get cheered for, I didn’t get booed too bad either.  This was a really good experience, more than any other, and I’ve fought for many other countries in the UFC now and spread the market.   I think that more than any other country I’ve been in that this is one of the most gratifying.”

Moving forward, Franklin hopes that after all the favors he’s done over the last few years, he will be repaid with a future title shot at 185 pounds.  The 37-year-old knows that he doesn’t have much time left, but he wants to try to leave the sport on top.

“Well moving back down again to 185, the idea was that enough time had passed since my title fight, perhaps if I could put a couple of wins together that I could make another run at the title before I retired.  That’ll be a discussion that I talk to Dana about and the UFC in general to see what would be next for me.

“That was my intention for moving down to 185 and I’m glad that you and everyone else notices that I bailed the UFC out a lot because I’m hoping that’s going to pay off in the future at some point in time.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Trading Shots: On toughness, tapping to strikes, and the things that only fighters know

David Branch tapped to strikes at UFC Fight Night 116, which usually earns fighters some criticism from fans and peers. But when others fight past the point of good sense, was this actually the smart read news >>

Watch Ovince Saint Preux Make Quick Work of Shogun Rua (UFC Japan Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Ovince Saint Preux make quick work of Mauricio "Shogun" Rua with a quick, brutal finish. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Tells TMZ He Wants to Fight Jon Jones Again

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier revealed he would be happy to fight Jon Jones for a third time. Jones was stripped of the title he won against Cormier at UFC 214 after the bout was rule read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan

We want your picks for UFC Fight Night 117 event in Japan, which features a new main event between Yushin Okami and Ovince Saint Preux.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Shogun' Rua reveals struggle to try to keep UFC-Japan spot after knee injury early in camp

Ex-UFC champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua apologized to the fans and opponent Ovince Saint Preux after pulling out of UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Report: Rematch between ex-UFC champ Jose Aldo and Ricardo Lamas targeted for December

According to Brazil’s Combate.com, former featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo will get his wish of a 2017 octagon return.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After first UFC knockout, Gilbert Burns wants lightweights to know he's dangerous everywhere

Gilbert Burns already had the titles to show for his grappling, but his walk-off knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh should also serve notice.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Spitz says his 24-second knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh was just how he drew it up

Luck had nothing to do with it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas Verbally Agreed to Meet in December | MMAWeekly.com

It looks like former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is nearing his return to the Octagon. Aldo is currently targeted to fight in December against top five ranked featherweight Ricardo Lamas in read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 medical suspensions: Newcomer Zu Anyanwu out indefinitely

One of the 20 fighters on this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 116 event is facing an indefinite suspension following his promotional debut. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>