Rich Franklin at UFC 53Since losing to middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva in 2007, Rich Franklin has stepped up to the plate for the UFC time and time again.

The former math teacher has repeatedly done favors for the UFC, like stepping into last-minute main event spots, such as he did at Saturday’s UFC 147 against Wanderlei Silva.  With Vitor Belfort out due to a hand injury, the UFC needed a main event and Franklin took the fight on two weeks notice.

Knowing how big UFC 147 was, and what it means to the UFC and Brazil, Franklin couldn’t pass up the opportunity to fight Silva one more time. He wound up taking a unanimous decision over Silva after their five-round showdown.

“To be here in Brazil and fight Wanderlei pretty much in his home town, I’ve been in this position before,” Franklin said at the UFC 147 post-fight press conference.

“For the second time when Anderson came in my hometown and defeated me, so I know what that feels like.  I know that this is a big fight not only for just, but for the country, for the UFC and all that kind of stuff.

“Although I didn’t get cheered for, I didn’t get booed too bad either.  This was a really good experience, more than any other, and I’ve fought for many other countries in the UFC now and spread the market.   I think that more than any other country I’ve been in that this is one of the most gratifying.”

Moving forward, Franklin hopes that after all the favors he’s done over the last few years, he will be repaid with a future title shot at 185 pounds.  The 37-year-old knows that he doesn’t have much time left, but he wants to try to leave the sport on top.

“Well moving back down again to 185, the idea was that enough time had passed since my title fight, perhaps if I could put a couple of wins together that I could make another run at the title before I retired.  That’ll be a discussion that I talk to Dana about and the UFC in general to see what would be next for me.

“That was my intention for moving down to 185 and I’m glad that you and everyone else notices that I bailed the UFC out a lot because I’m hoping that’s going to pay off in the future at some point in time.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC on FOX 23's Nate Marquardt talks staving off retirement, fighting former training partner in Alvey

DENVER – It wasn’t that long ago that Nate Marquardt was ready to hang up his gloves and move on to something else. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Nate Diaz Wants to Box Because UFC Put Him on the Shelf | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Diaz recently applied for a boxing license because he is "being put on the shelf" by the UFC. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Hints at Upcoming UFC Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC has some upcoming fight cards to fill, and it appears one of them is going to feature strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk's return to the Octagon. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Jason Knight plans Caceres KO, new contract and callout of 'The Korean Superboy'

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Don’t accuse Jason Knight for being one of those UFC fighters who doesn’t think ahead each time he enters and exits the octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson rematch headlines UFC 210 in Buffalo

A light heavyweight title fight will headline UFC 210.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Returns in UFC 210 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

This is one time where waiting pays off, as light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier returns at UFC 210 to put his belt on the line. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson 2 Announced for UFC 210: Details, Reaction

The UFC announced Wednesday that Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson will meet in a rematch of their May 2015 clash at UFC 210 in Buffalo, New York, on April 8. Cormier (18-1) secured a victory via su read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Alex Caceres won't trash talk fighter he doesn't know – or Jason Knight

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – UFC featherweight Alex Caceres’ manager texted him recently to ask whether he’d fight his next opponent. Caceres, though, just wanted the details of when. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena full live results and fight stats. First fight is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 28. read news >>

New division unleashed: Check out the 'UFC 208: Holm vs. De Randamie' extended preview

The UFC returns to New York for the third time in 14 weeks when it brings UFC 208 to Brooklyn next month. Check out the extended video preview for the event inside.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>