As it turns out, UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez (13-1 MMA, 11-1 UFC) wasn’t suspended six months following his UFC 166 victory over Junior dos Santos (16-3 MMA, 10-2 UFC) earlier this month.
While the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation initially told MMAjunkie.com the champ was medically suspended six months due to a suspected broken jaw, a representative today said it was an error.
“After review of the UFC 166 information it has been determined the Velasquez/dos Santos suspensions were posted incorrectly,” a rep wrote via email.
Instead, Velasquez, whose rep subsequently told MMAjunkie.com the fighter’s jaw was fine and that the suspension confused them, has been suspended 15 days for precautionary reasons. That means his return could come a lot sooner than originally expected.
UFC 166 took place Oct. 19 at Houston’s Toyota Center and aired on pay-per-view. In the heavyweights’ rubber match and the night’s main event, Velasquez scored a fifth-round TKO victory over dos Santos.
Dos Santos remains suspended indefinitely barring clearance from a physician for his nose and jaw injuries. Even when cleared, the ex-champ faces a minimum suspension of 180 days.
For complete coverage of UFC 166, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.
(Pictured: Cain Velasquez)