#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Frankie Edgar #Cub Swanson #UFC Fight Night 57 #Corey Anderson #Patrick Cummins #Siyar Bahadurzada #Luan Chagas #Aljamain Sterling #Brett Johns #David Branch #Thiago Santos #Chase Sherman

Colby Covington undeterred, insists UFC title shot close once he beats Demian Maia

Ever confident about his future in the UFC welterweight division, Colby Covington believes his title shot is right around the corner.

Covington (12-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) is days away from a co-headliner against two-time UFC title challenger Demian Maia (25-7 MMA, 19-7 UFC), a fight that could take his career to the next level or reveal his ceiling at 170 pounds.

But already the 29-year-old has a nickname for his date – and expected win – at UFC Fight Night 119: “The Nightmare in Sao Paulo.”

“Then Tyron Woodley is next, and five-round fights are going to favor me,” Covington told MMAjunkie Radio in advance of his FS1-televised fight on Oct. 28 at Ibirapuera Gymnasium in Sao Paulo, Brazil. “I’ve only hit Gear 1. Wait until I hit Gear 2 and 3 against Tyron. Man, you’re about to see a new Colby ‘Chaos’ Covington.”

Woodley (18-3-1 MMA, 8-2-1 UFC), who defended his belt in July with a lackluster decision over Maia, is targeting the winner of a middleweight title fight between ex-welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre and middleweight titleholder Michael Bisping at UFC 217. Specifically, he wants a fight with St-Pierre, who was once targeted for the winner of his fight with Maia before UFC President Dana White changed his mind and booked St-Pierre vs. Bisping.

White, meanwhile, has already tabbed the winner of an upcoming headliner between ex-welterweight champ Robbie Lawler (28-11 MMA, 13-5 UFC) and ex-lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos (27-9 MMA, 16-7 UFC) as the next contender to the belt.

But Covington, the No. 9 fighter in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA welterweight rankings, never shies away from bold proclamations. Although he faces the unenviable task of muscling aside established contenders – and new ones – his only desire is to get the title shot against Woodley or otherwise.

“It doesn’t matter who it is,” Covington said. “There’s one singular goal and one singular focus, and that’s the world title. I do feel I have the skill set to hold the welterweight title for a long time. Whoever the champion is at the time, that’s who I want.”

Undeterred by the odds of getting the UFC to grant him No. 1 contender statsus, Covington said he’ll keep pushing until the UFC gives him what he wants.

“I live in the gym right now,” he said. “I’m actually staying at the dorms at American Top Team. I’m eating, living and breathing MMA. I have no girlfriend. I have no distractions in my life. All I do is I come downstars and I train. I go upstairs, I eat, I get on social media, and I promote myself.

“I’m letting the UFC know I don’t need them to promote me, but I want the big fights.”

He’s got one now, of course, facing off with Maia. The 39-year-old Brazilian fell short in a bid for the title, but many up-and-coming contenders have found him too steep a challenge to overcome. Those eager to take him out of his comfort zone on the mat have found themselves tapping out.

Predictably, though, Covington thinks the fight will be a walk in the park.

“I feel like his game has been the same since the beginning,” Covington said of Maia. “He’s very one dimensional. He just goes forward, he’s looking for takedowns, and he’s looking to get it to the ground and get a submission. He’s an old dog – he hasn’t learned any new tricks. It’s going to be the same Demian Maia. We’re not going to see any surprises.

“I’m going to expose him for that.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 119, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Demian Maia Fights

• a year ago

Comments

John Moraga Not Beating Down the Door for Another UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

UFC flyweight John Moraga should take a nice leap up the UFC rankings after his win over Wilson Reis, but he's not clamoring for a title shot. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Believes Floyd Mayweather Will Be Able to Handle Anyone in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley laid out a timeline to begin training Floyd Mayweather for his MMA debut, adding that he thinks the boxer will be able to handle anyone in the UFC. read news >>

Brock Lesnar's Manager Insists UFC Return Isn't a Tease | MMAWeekly.com

Brock Lesnar's manager, Paul Heyman, insists that the WWE champion's desire to return to the UFC is genuine. read news >>

Trading Shots: Should Josh Barnett's case make us rethink USADA in the UFC?

Josh Barnett won a victory over USADA. Should it make us think twice about USADA’s role in the UFC? Ben Fowlkes and Danny Downes discuss. read news >>

Who got the worst (and best) end of the deal in the UFC 223 main event switcheroo?

Khabib Nurmagomedov, Tony Ferguson, Brian Ortega, Max Holloway, Conor McGregor: Who got the best, and worst, of the UFC 223 shakeup? 1 2 3 4 …5 read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor 'Despicable' After Crashing UFC 223 Press Conference

Conor McGregor might have hurt his chances of competing in the UFC again by crashing the media day for UFC 223 Thursday, as Bleacher Report relayed: UFC president Dana White was disgusted by read news >>

CES 49's Chris Curtis Plans: 'Everybody Thinks I Should Be in the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

Chris Curtis (15-5) will defend his title in a 170-pound main event championship match against Jason Norwood (18-4) at CES 49 on Friday in Lincoln, R.I. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Rose Namajunas' title defense vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk in UFC 223 rematch

See the top Twitter reacts to Rose Namajunas’ title defense against Joanna Jedrzejczyk in the UFC 223 co-main event. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Addresses Conor McGregor Rampage and Fighting in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Floyd Mayweather on Saturday night addressed Conor McGregor's recent rampage and spoke at length about his seriousness about fighting in the UFC. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Khabib Nurmagomedov's dominant title win over Al Iaquinta at UFC 223

See the top Twitter reacts to Khabib Nurmagomedov’s title win over Al Iaquinta in the UFC 223 main event. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Beats Al Iaquinta at UFC 223 for Lightweight Title

One of the wildest weeks in UFC history ended with a sight that wasn't shocking: Khabib Nurmagomedov capturing the UFC lightweight championship with a unanimous-decision win ... read news >>

After UFC on FOX 29 triumph, Dustin Poirier explains why a title shot is so meaningful

UFC on FOX 29’s Dustin Poirier explains why he’s not seeking revenge against former opponents, and what he’ll do if he wins the UFC title. read news >>

Dustin Poirier: 'It's Time' for a UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

After defeating Justin Gaethje at UFC on FOX 29, Dustin Poirier declared, "it's time" for a UFC title shot. read news >>

On Dustin Poirier, Justin Gaethje, and the competing visions of success in today's UFC

Dustin Poirier wants to win the title and make a bunch of money. Justin Gaethje wants to keep fighting like he doesn’t care if he wins or loses – but he also wants to make a bunch of money. Who has t read news >>

UFC 224's Raquel Pennington on why she wanted to smack Colby Covington at press conference

UFC 224 headliner Raquel Pennington explains why she wanted to smack Colby Covington at the UFC 25th Anniversary Press Conference. read news >>

Francis Ngannou vs. Derrick Lewis in the Works for UFC 226 in Las Vegas | MMAWeekly.com

A long simmering feud between Francis Ngannou and Derrick Lewis will finally come to a head when the heavyweights clash at UFC 226 in Las Vegas on July 7. Sources close to the matchup confirmed the b read news >>

Upcoming Fights