MENU
#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Bellator 185 #KSW 40 #MMA Rocks #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Norman Parke #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams #Jan Blachowicz


Fabricio Werdum vs. Fedor Emelianenko: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said the promotion is considering a heavyweight championship bout between Alistair Overeem and Fedor Emelianenko next, despite Emelianenko’s recent defeat to Fabricio Werdum.

Werdum submitted Emelianenko with a 69-second choke triangle-armbar at Strikeforce/M-1 Global “Fedor vs. Werdum” on June 26 in San Jose, Calif. It was the 33-year-old Emelianenko’s first loss in 29 fights and nearly 10 years.

Emelianenko’s M-1 Global management, which co-promotes select events with Strikeforce, has already requested the rematch with Werdum “right away,” according to Coker. Under the current contract, Emelianenko will return to the U.S., at least one more time to compete under the Strikeforce/M-1 Global banner.

“My feeling is maybe Fedor should fight Alistair Overeem and whoever wins that fight gets to fight Fabricio Werdum,” Coker told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show last week. “Alistair vs. Fedor? I’d love to see that fight happen.”

Coker said negotiations to extend the agreement between the two entities for more co-produced events featuring Emelianenko are forthcoming.

“We just saw Fedor fight Werdum. I’m not saying we couldn’t do the rematch first,” said Coker. “I’m just saying there are a couple of options on the table and the other option would be to fight Alistair…but until we sit down with M-1, these are all just the options…For me, the times have changed and it’s going to be an interesting negotiation now.”

As for the promotion’s heavyweight champion Overeem, Coker quelled talk that the 31-year-old Dutch striker’s attention might be divided with his preliminary plans to enter a K-1 tournament this summer.

“I talked to Alistair and have really good contact with his management and they told me his priority is going to be fighting in America,” said Coker. “If he does want to enter the K-1 tournament, I have no problem with that. We’ll schedule around that because I know he has a personal goal that he’d like to win that tournament.

“I think (Overeem) wants to fight Fabricio Werdum really bad and I think he wants to fight Fedor really bad,” added Coker. “He is our champion, so we’ll put those fights together for him.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

Sorry 'Pitbull': Scott Coker says Michael Chandler first for champ Brent Primus

  • 27 days ago
  • 17 views

Patricky Freire and Brent Primus might have signed off on a fight, Bellator chief Scott Coker hasn’t forgotten about Michael Chandler.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Scott Coker open to Bellator heavyweight tournament but wants to crown champion first

  • 25 days ago
  • 8 views

Bellator President Scott Coker said he’d like to crown a new heavyweight champion in the first part of 2018.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Scott Coker: Chuck Liddell would need 'battery of tests' before fighting in Bellator

  • 25 days ago
  • 44 views

UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell is talking like he’s about to make a comeback in the Bellator cage, but it won’t be as simple as signing a fight deal.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator President Scott Coker Recounts Hugh Hefner's Association with MMA | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 10 views

Bellator president Scott Coker recounts Playboy founder Hugh Hefner's association with MMA. The pop culture icon passed away on Wednesday. read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with Bellator President Scott Coker

  • 3 days ago
  • 3 views

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guest Scott Coker.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Scott Coker on Gegard Mousasi's debut: Bellator's 'going to be a tough going for everybody'

  • 2 days ago
  • 33 views

Bellator President Scott Coker is uncertain of Gegard Mousasi’s future after a narrow win and injured eye in his debut at Bellator 185.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Scott Coker: Bellator considering 5-round main events, but 'once we do it, we can't go back'

  • 2 days ago
  • 8 views

Five-round main event fights could be coming to Bellator, according to company president Scott Coker.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2548 with Bellator President Scott Coker

  • 2 days ago
  • 1 views

Stream or download Friday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guest Scott Coker.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio read news >>