#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #Max Holloway #Stipe Miocic #Mike Perry #Jose Aldo #GSP

NEW YORK – Cody Garbrandt wants to make a few things crystal clear: He’s the better fighter, and he doesn’t take back anything he said about new UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw heading into Saturday’s UFC 217 co-headliner.

He also wants a rematch.

But if you think a second meeting between the two rivals, who co-headlined at New York’s Madison Square Garden Arena in the year’s biggest pay-per-event, will be a little more civil the next time around, think again.

“I think I was being professional (heading into UFC 217) given the facts behind (the rivalry),” Garbrandt (11-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) said after his second-round knockout loss to Dillashaw (15-3 MMA, 11-3 UFC). “Still, I feel and think he’s a piece of (expletive) teammate. I stand beside my facts. He injured – he lies. Still. It doesn’t matter. Yeah, he won. Good for him.

“I’ll be back, and I’ll come with vengeance, and that belt’s going to be mine.”

It was a slightly harsher tone that the tweet he issued to his former Team Alpha Male teammate after the fight:

Still, as he sometimes choked back tears during the post-event press conference, Garbrandt, who nearly ended the fight at the end of the first round, kept coming back to a central point.

“Hats off to T.J.” he said. “He battled back from losing his title, and he was a hungry man. But I say I’m the better fighter in there, and I’ll show that in the rematch.”

Immediately after the fight-ending barrage of punches, Garbrandt and Dillashaw had a brief chat (which was captured by this viral photo).

Does Garbrandt remember what was said?

“I don’t,” he said. “He probably just yelled some (expletive). He had a lot of (expletive) he was carrying on – with all of the drama. And I stand behind everything I said. He’s still not a good person, but I respect him as a fighter. And that’s that.

” … I stand behind everything that I said about T.J., but I give him respect for going out there and capitalizing on a mistake, but I truly am the better fighter, and I want that rematch. I’m willing to put in the work and do whatever it takes to get the title back because it was something I was born to do.”

As for what’s next, Garbrandt didn’t have any immediate plans.

“If I have to fight and wipe out the whole (expletive) division, I will,” he said.

As for the big picture, he said he’s been in positions like this before. But he prefers not to dwell on the setbacks.

“I’ve been here before,” he said. “I’ve lost a lot in my life. I feel like if this is the worst thing that happens in my life, I’ve got a pretty good life.”

For more on UFC 217, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Cody Garbrandt Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Gray Maynard wants to make featherweight statement, but 155-pound bouts also will do

Gray Maynard’s last years as a UFC lightweight didn’t go so well, but he’s willing to face 155-pound competition if that’s what it takes to get booked.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio Highli read news >>

Alex Perez Wants to Make a Statement in UFC Debut | MMAWeekly.com

Alex Perez will make his promotional debut against Carls John de Tomas in a preliminary 125-pound bout at UFC Fight Night 123 on Saturday. read news >>

Justin Wren plans to fight more frequently, wants Bellator grand prix alternate spot

Add Justin Wren to the list of fighters who wants to be added to the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix 2018 as an alternate.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 123 Results: Brian Ortega Beats Cub Swanson Via Submission

Brian Ortega continued to make a name for himself in UFC's featherweight division after he defeated Cub Swanson via thrilling second-round submission at UFC Fight Night 123 on Saturday night in Fresn read news >>

Brian Ortega Doubles Up on UFC Fight Night 123 Post-Fight Bonuses | MMAWeekly.com

Brian Ortega has arrived. Despite an undefeated record as an amateur and in his professional career, Ortega has flown largely under the radar since he began fighting in the Octagon. After defeating p read news >>

Jessica-Rose Clark: ‘My ability is going to make this a terrible fight for VanZant’

After Joanne Calderwood was forced to withdraw November 7th, 2017 from her scheduled UFC Fight Night: Werdum Vs. Tybura bout with Bec Rawlings due to injury – with only 12 days left until the event, read news >>

Why UFC-Fresno winner Eryk Anders wants to fight Lyoto Machida on ex-champ's turf

With a second UFC win added to his unbeaten professional record, middleweight Eryk Anders thinks it’s time for a step up in competition.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Unbeaten Trevin Giles never wants to go to the judges in the UFC after Fresno win

Trevin Giles stayed perfect in his pro career on Saturday night, and wants to stay perfect in the UFC with nothing but stoppages. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Frankie Edgar Targeting Spring to Challenge Max Holloway in UFC Title Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar is targeting spring for his attempt to make UFC history. read news >>

Dustin Poirier wants to give Eddie Alvarez a couple of nicely wrapped 'Christmas presents'

Dustin Poirier getting into the holiday spirit with this tweet at Eddie Alvarez.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>