#Fabricio Werdum #UFC London #Alexander Volkov #Conor McGregor #UFC 222 #Anthony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC Poland #Jimi Manuwa #WFCA #UFC New York #Darren Till #UFC 217 - Bisping vs. St. Pierre

Cody Garbrandt recaps this post-fight chat with T.J. Dillashaw, stands 'behind everything I said'

NEW YORK – Cody Garbrandt wants to make a few things crystal clear: He’s the better fighter, and he doesn’t take back anything he said about new UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw heading into Saturday’s UFC 217 co-headliner.

He also wants a rematch.

But if you think a second meeting between the two rivals, who co-headlined at New York’s Madison Square Garden Arena in the year’s biggest pay-per-event, will be a little more civil the next time around, think again.

“I think I was being professional (heading into UFC 217) given the facts behind (the rivalry),” Garbrandt (11-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) said after his second-round knockout loss to Dillashaw (15-3 MMA, 11-3 UFC). “Still, I feel and think he’s a piece of (expletive) teammate. I stand beside my facts. He injured – he lies. Still. It doesn’t matter. Yeah, he won. Good for him.

“I’ll be back, and I’ll come with vengeance, and that belt’s going to be mine.”

It was a slightly harsher tone that the tweet he issued to his former Team Alpha Male teammate after the fight:

Still, as he sometimes choked back tears during the post-event press conference, Garbrandt, who nearly ended the fight at the end of the first round, kept coming back to a central point.

“Hats off to T.J.” he said. “He battled back from losing his title, and he was a hungry man. But I say I’m the better fighter in there, and I’ll show that in the rematch.”

Immediately after the fight-ending barrage of punches, Garbrandt and Dillashaw had a brief chat (which was captured by this viral photo).

Does Garbrandt remember what was said?

“I don’t,” he said. “He probably just yelled some (expletive). He had a lot of (expletive) he was carrying on – with all of the drama. And I stand behind everything I said. He’s still not a good person, but I respect him as a fighter. And that’s that.

” … I stand behind everything that I said about T.J., but I give him respect for going out there and capitalizing on a mistake, but I truly am the better fighter, and I want that rematch. I’m willing to put in the work and do whatever it takes to get the title back because it was something I was born to do.”

As for what’s next, Garbrandt didn’t have any immediate plans.

“If I have to fight and wipe out the whole (expletive) division, I will,” he said.

As for the big picture, he said he’s been in positions like this before. But he prefers not to dwell on the setbacks.

“I’ve been here before,” he said. “I’ve lost a lot in my life. I feel like if this is the worst thing that happens in my life, I’ve got a pretty good life.”

For more on UFC 217, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Cody Garbrandt Fights

• a year ago

Twitter reacts to Derrick Lewis' KO, classic post-fight interview at UFC Fight Night 126

See the top Twitter reactions to Derrick Lewis’ win over Marcin Tybura at UFC Fight Night 126. read news >>

After stellar debut, Curtis Millender wants to defend CM Punk's honor, fight Mickey Gall

Curtis Millender hit a home run in his UFC debut. Not only did he knock out Thiago Alves, but he called his shot for his next opponent. read news >>

Dana White Says He Talked to Jon Jones About Potential UFC Comeback

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is hoping to make a comeback soon if he can clear up his most recent drug-testing failure. Speaking to TMZ Sports, UFC president Dana White said Jones read news >>

Daily Debate: Who makes most sense as Michael Bisping's retirement fight opponent?

Michael Bisping wants to fight once more before retiring, but who’s it going to be against? read news >>

Rani Yahya dedicates UFC on FOX 28 win to late mother in emotional post-fight speech

An emotional Rani Yahya took the cage at UFC-Orlando just a little over a week after the death of his mother, “the biggest fan I had.” read news >>

Sam Alvey wants to split glory, money with Gian Villante after soul-crushing UFC on FOX 28 win

Sam Alvey said he felt Marcin Prachnio’s soul give way when he landed the knockout blow in the first round at UFC-Orlando. read news >>

Stephanie McMahon: Ronda Rousey 'Wants to Earn' Her Way in WWE | MMAWeekly.com

On the day Ronda Rousey signed with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) she was already one of the most recognized superstars on the roster. At one time during her UFC career, Rousey was ahead of eve read news >>

Bellator 198 co-main event set: Emmanuel Sanchez vs. Sam Sicilia

If Emmanuel Sanchez wants to continue rising, he’ll next have to get past a proven UFC veteran. read news >>

Andre Soukhamthath: I'm going to make Sean O'Malley my little brother at UFC 222

Andre Soukhamthath is not a trash-talker, but he’s heard what Sean O’Malley is saying ahead of UFC 222, and he’s not exactly happy about it. read news >>

UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya Post-Fight Press Conference Live Stream | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya Post-Fight Press Conference streaming live following the event in Las Vegas. read news >>

Brian Ortega's Knockout of Frankie Edgar Leads Charge on UFC 222 Bonuses | MMAWeekly.com

With his incredible knockout of Frankie Edgar, Brian Ortega led the charge on the UFC 222 post-fight bonuses on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya Post-Fight Press Conference Replay | MMAWeekly.com

Following Saturday's UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya event in Las Vegas, the big winners and UFC president Dana White fielded questions from the media. read news >>

Dana White Prefers Cris Cyborg Fight Amanda Nunes Next Rather Than Raquel Pennington vs. Nunes | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White wants to see Cris Cyborg vs. Amanda Nunes so bad that he may scrap an already planned title fight at UFC 224 in May. read news >>

Did Conor McGregor Try to Save UFC 222? Dana White Says 'Nothing About it Made Sense' | MMAWeekly.com

At the UFC 222 Post-Fight Press Conference, White confirmed that McGregor had indeed offered to step in and fight Edgar. But was it a serious offer? read news >>

Agilan Thani Just Wants to Keep on Winning Ahead of ONE: Visions of Victory | MMAWeekly.com

Agilan Thani wants to one day take Ben Askren's spot as ONE's welterweight champion, but for now, he's focused on Friday's showdown with Amitesh Chaubey. read news >>

Joe Rogan: Floyd Mayweather vs. CM Punk 'That's the Fight to Make' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan is definitely on board for retired boxer Floyd Mayweather transitioning to mixed martial arts so long as he's fighting an opponent with a skill level relative to his o read news >>

Search for: