#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #UFC 217 #Alistair Overeem #Max Holloway #Mike Perry #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #GSP

For all the bad blood UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt harbors for former teammate TJ Dillashaw, he actually owes him a debt of gratitude.

It was Garbrandt’s arrival in Sacramento several years ago, when he first joined Team Alpha Male, that his path toward becoming the best in the world truly began.

It wasn’t just the training or the coaching that Garbrandt received, however, because he also got the chance to spend round after round with Dillashaw, who was already deep into his own UFC career and just a year away from winning the title in an upset against former champion Renan Barao.

During those sparring sessions, Garbrandt felt what it was like to throw down with the champion and he figured out something rather prophetic that has never left him as he stormed through the bantamweight division over the past year.

If Dillashaw was the best the division had to offer, Garbrandt knew he was going to be champion sooner rather than later.

“I’m supremely confident against TJ. He’s actually given me the most confidence I’ve had in my career to really push forward and give it all I had,” Garbrandt said when speaking to MMAWeekly.com. “When he was world champion, I was 1-0 and working my way up. I was training with him [thinking] this guy’s the world champion? I know I’m going to be a world champion.

“He gave me the supreme confidence to know that if I just stick to the course that I’m at, training and being a good person, that I’m going to make it happen and here I am, 26 years old now, world champion.”

TJ Dillashaw and Cody GarbrandtOf course, it’s common knowledge that Garbrandt and Dillashaw have vastly different memories surrounding many of those training sessions.

Dillashaw claims that he used to beat Garbrandt so badly that he’d leave the gym in tears. Conversely, Garbrandt has touted a tape he possesses that shows him knocking out Dillashaw during one particularly brutal sparring session that left the former champion laid out on the mat.

Fighters will all say what happens in the gym doesn’t always translate to what will happen in an actual fight, but Garbrandt says thanks to Dillashaw’s unrelenting competitiveness, he’s quite sure he’s seen everything the top ranked contender has to offer.

“I don’t feel TJ’s any more of a threat. I know him, I’ve trained with him, I’ve beat him up in practice,” Garbrandt said. “I know that’s practice, but with a guy like TJ, he doesn’t like to lose an inch, a round, a submission, anything. So I know it was full-on fighting. So I’m supremely confident going in there Nov. 4.”

Another valuable lesson that Garbrandt took from those sparring sessions with Dillashaw was seeing how much he hated eating punches.

There’s not a single fighter on the planet who should actually enjoy getting hit, but Garbrandt says Dillashaw’s just not built for it and that’s why he’s positive that he only needs one good shot to land before this fight will be finished.

In fact, Garbrandt is so confident that he’ll finish Dillashaw by knockout that if his former teammate even finds a way to survive to a decision he should leave Madison Square Garden with his head held high, feeling like he’s accomplished something even if he’ll never hold the bantamweight title again.

“I’m better than him everywhere and I guarantee it — he doesn’t have a strong chin,” Garbrandt said about Dillashaw. “He will not be able to take a strike, a blow from me with four-ounce gloves on. He wasn’t able to do it with a 16-ounce glove and he won’t be able to do it in a four-ounce glove. So if TJ makes it all five rounds, goes the distance, that’s a win for him.

“I honestly think where I [said I would hit] [Takeya] Mizugaki with the first hard punch, he’ll go out. The first hard punch I land on TJ, he’ll go to sleep. He’ll go to sleep and I’ll rain down punches on him.”

Galleries

TJ Dillashaw Fights

• a year ago

Cody Garbrandt Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Cris Cyborg Reveals New Long Term Contract Signed with the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Cris "Cyborg" Justino is staying put in the UFC. Just days after Cyborg's next fight was announced against Holly Holm at UFC 219 on Dec. 30, the ferocious women's featherweight champion revealed that read news >>

Dana White: Demetrious Johnson vs. TJ Dillashaw Not Announced, but Will Happen | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White on Saturday night said the proposed superfight between Demetrious Johnson and TJ Dillashaw is going to happen. read news >>

Max Holloway Takes a Shot at Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

Max Holloway answers questions about a potential rematch with Conor McGregor and takes a shot at the reigning UFC lightweight champion. read news >>

UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 Sold Out Little Caesars Arena in Detriot | MMAWeekly.com

Motor City played host to Saturday's UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 pay-per-view event. Little Caesars Arena was filled to capacity in Midtown Detroit for the 13-bout fight card. 17,587 spectators were read news >>

Max Holloway Decimated Jose Aldo in Rematch (UFC 218 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from the UFC 218 main event on Saturday between featherweight champ Max Holloway and form read news >>

Eddie Alvarez Hands Justin Gaethje First Career Loss (UFC 218 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from the lightweight bout between former champion Eddie Alvarez and Justin Gaethje at UFC read news >>

Dana White Recaps the UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 Event | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White recaps the UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 night of fights from backstage at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit after the event. read news >>

Fighters React to Max Holloway's Destruction of Jose Aldo | MMAWeekly.com

UFC featherweight champ Max Holloway faced former titleholder Jose Aldo in the UFC 218 main event on Saturday and destroyed him. Check out how fighters reacted. read news >>

Max Holloway Wrecked Jose Aldo, Cementing Him as Best Featherweight (UFC 218 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

If there ever was a doubt, there isn't any longer, as Max Holloway put on an epic performance, dismantling Jose Aldo at UFC 218 on Saturday night in Detroit. Aldo got a short-notice call, having been read news >>

No Performance of the Night Bonuses at UFC 218, Only Fights of the Night | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 218: Holloway vs. Aldo 2 was arguably the deepest fight card of the year from the promotion. If the post fight bonuses are any indicator, the line-up certainly delivered. UFC officials broke from read news >>