#LFA 36 #Conor McGregor #Daniel Cormier #Christian Aguilera #Ricardo Seixas #Alain Ngalani #Garry Tonon #AXS TV Fights #Iron Will #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Invicta FC 28 #Fight Night London #Jaymes Schulte #Tony Ferguson #Sean O'Malley

Cody Garbrandt Reveals How Beating Up TJ Dillashaw Made Him Realize He'd Become UFC Champion | MMAWeekly.com

For all the bad blood UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt harbors for former teammate TJ Dillashaw, he actually owes him a debt of gratitude.

It was Garbrandt’s arrival in Sacramento several years ago, when he first joined Team Alpha Male, that his path toward becoming the best in the world truly began.

It wasn’t just the training or the coaching that Garbrandt received, however, because he also got the chance to spend round after round with Dillashaw, who was already deep into his own UFC career and just a year away from winning the title in an upset against former champion Renan Barao.

During those sparring sessions, Garbrandt felt what it was like to throw down with the champion and he figured out something rather prophetic that has never left him as he stormed through the bantamweight division over the past year.

If Dillashaw was the best the division had to offer, Garbrandt knew he was going to be champion sooner rather than later.

“I’m supremely confident against TJ. He’s actually given me the most confidence I’ve had in my career to really push forward and give it all I had,” Garbrandt said when speaking to MMAWeekly.com. “When he was world champion, I was 1-0 and working my way up. I was training with him [thinking] this guy’s the world champion? I know I’m going to be a world champion.

“He gave me the supreme confidence to know that if I just stick to the course that I’m at, training and being a good person, that I’m going to make it happen and here I am, 26 years old now, world champion.”

TJ Dillashaw and Cody GarbrandtOf course, it’s common knowledge that Garbrandt and Dillashaw have vastly different memories surrounding many of those training sessions.

Dillashaw claims that he used to beat Garbrandt so badly that he’d leave the gym in tears. Conversely, Garbrandt has touted a tape he possesses that shows him knocking out Dillashaw during one particularly brutal sparring session that left the former champion laid out on the mat.

Fighters will all say what happens in the gym doesn’t always translate to what will happen in an actual fight, but Garbrandt says thanks to Dillashaw’s unrelenting competitiveness, he’s quite sure he’s seen everything the top ranked contender has to offer.

“I don’t feel TJ’s any more of a threat. I know him, I’ve trained with him, I’ve beat him up in practice,” Garbrandt said. “I know that’s practice, but with a guy like TJ, he doesn’t like to lose an inch, a round, a submission, anything. So I know it was full-on fighting. So I’m supremely confident going in there Nov. 4.”

Another valuable lesson that Garbrandt took from those sparring sessions with Dillashaw was seeing how much he hated eating punches.

There’s not a single fighter on the planet who should actually enjoy getting hit, but Garbrandt says Dillashaw’s just not built for it and that’s why he’s positive that he only needs one good shot to land before this fight will be finished.

In fact, Garbrandt is so confident that he’ll finish Dillashaw by knockout that if his former teammate even finds a way to survive to a decision he should leave Madison Square Garden with his head held high, feeling like he’s accomplished something even if he’ll never hold the bantamweight title again.

“I’m better than him everywhere and I guarantee it — he doesn’t have a strong chin,” Garbrandt said about Dillashaw. “He will not be able to take a strike, a blow from me with four-ounce gloves on. He wasn’t able to do it with a 16-ounce glove and he won’t be able to do it in a four-ounce glove. So if TJ makes it all five rounds, goes the distance, that’s a win for him.

“I honestly think where I [said I would hit] [Takeya] Mizugaki with the first hard punch, he’ll go out. The first hard punch I land on TJ, he’ll go to sleep. He’ll go to sleep and I’ll rain down punches on him.”

TJ Dillashaw Fights

• a year ago

Cody Garbrandt Fights

• a year ago

Cris Cyborg Reveals She Initially Shot Down UFC 222 Over Weight Concerns | MMAWeekly.com

? (Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) When Cris Cyborg was initially asked about fighting at UFC 222 she shot the idea down cold. Coming off of her win over Holly Holm on Dec. 30 to close out 201 read news >>

Former UFC Champion Luke Rockhold Named as the New Face of Polo Blue Cologne | MMAWeekly.com

As Luke Rockhold continues to explore options for work outside the Octagon, the former UFC champion has now landed a lucrative gig as the new face of Polo Blue cologne. read news >>

Brian Ortega Reveals Dana White Guaranteed He's Next for Max Holloway | MMAWeekly.com

Undefeated featherweight contender Brian Ortega on Monday revealed that UFC president Dana White guaranteed that he gets the next shot at UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Still Targeting TJ Dillashaw at UFC 226 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson, despite talks quieting down, is still targeting a champion vs. champion match-up with bantamweight titleholder TJ Dillashaw at UFC 226 in July. read news >>

Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza Draws Kelvin Gastelum at UFC 224 in Brazil | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 224 has just landed a huge middleweight showdown. Fresh off a knockout win over Derek Brunson in January, Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza will meet Kelvin Gastelum at UFC 224, which takes place on May 12 read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Flattens Marcus Davis: UFC Orlando Free Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens flattened Marcus Davis at UFC 125. Don't miss Jeremy Stephens face Josh Emmett on Saturday night at Fight Night Orlando live on FOX. read news >>

Dana White Finally Spoke to Jon Jones For the First Time Since UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Following seven months of silence, UFC president Dana White and former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones are back on speaking terms after they had a conversation this week. Jones remains on provis read news >>

Brock Lesnar 'Always Ready' for UFC Return, According to Manager | MMAWeekly.com

As Brock Lesnar's WWE contract nears its end, the talk of a UFC return has heated up. It could be a negotiating tactic. It could be legitimate. read news >>

Edson Barboza vs. Kevin Lee Expected to Headline UFC Fight Night in Atlantic City | MMAWeekly.com

Lightweight contenders Edson Barboza and Kevin Lee are on a collision course for UFC Fight Night in Atlantic City as the main event at the Boardwalk Hall on April 21. Sources close to the matchup con read news >>

Watch the UFC on FOX 28: Emmett vs. Stephens Ceremonial Weigh-ins LIVE at 6p ET | MMAWeekly.com

? (Courtesy of UFC) Watch the UFC on FOX 28: Emmett vs. Stephens ceremonial weigh-in LIVE on Friday at 6 p.m. ET / 3 p.m. PT. TRENDING > Brock Lesnar 'Always Ready' for UFC Return, According to Manag read news >>

Marlon Moraes vs. Jimmie Rivera Expected to Headline UFC Fight Night in Utica | MMAWeekly.com

A bantamweight battle between Top 10 ranked fighters Marlon Moraes and Jimmie Rivera is expected to headline the UFC's inaugural trip to Utica, N.Y. Moraes vs. Rivera could easily be a fight that det read news >>

Amanda Nunes vs. Raquel Pennington Expected at UFC 224 in Brazil | MMAWeekly.com

The women's bantamweight title is expected to go up for grabs at UFC 224 when Amanda Nunes puts her gold on the line against Raquel Pennington on May 12 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Sources close to th read news >>

UFC on FOX 28: Emmett vs. Stephens Weigh-in Video | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC on FOX 28: Emmett vs. Stephens ceremonial weigh-in, which took place on Friday in Orlando, Fla. read news >>

Jimmy Smith Previews UFC on FOX 28: Jessica Andrade vs. Tecia Torres | MMAWeekly.com

Jimmy Smith breaks down the important UFC on FOX 28 strawweight clash between Jessica Andrade and Tecia Torres taking place in the co-main event in Orlando and live on FOX. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28: Road to the Octagon (Full Episode) | MMAWeekly.com

Witness the relentless training camps and extraordinary lives of six world-class mixed martial artists as they ready for Saturday's UFC on FOX 28. read news >>

Sam Alvey Crumbles Marcin Prachnio (UFC on FOX 28 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from the light heavyweight bout between Sam Alvey and Marcin Prachnio at UFC on FOX 28 on Saturday in Orlando, Fla. On March 3, the UFC returns home to Las Vegas for a revamped U read news >>

Search for: