#LFA 36 #Christian Aguilera #Ricardo Seixas #Garry Tonon #Alain Ngalani #AXS TV Fights #Iron Will #ACB 83 #Conor McGregor #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Glory World Series #Sean O'Malley #Fight Night London #GLORY 34 #Robin van Roosmalen

Co-headliner Fernando Gonzalez believes an exciting Bellator 182 display could lead to a title shot

VERONA, N.Y. – It’s an interesting time to be a welterweight on Bellator’s roster.

Sitting atop the 170-pound chain, fresh off his Bellator 180 title defense over Lorenz Larkin, is champion Douglas Lima. Directly behind him sits former UFC title challenger Rory MacDonald – who, after stamping his Bellator title shot with a debut win over Paul Daley, already has addressed his impatience in waiting for a fight.

Below the “The Red King,” there’s a tight race. By pitting Chidi Njokuani’s unblemished Bellator record against an ex-champion in Andrey Koreshkov, Saturday’s Bellator 182 headliner, for instance, could very well determine a challenger.

But another welterweight competing on that same Bellator 182 card believes the winner of his own bout might end up cutting in line.

“There’s not really much rankings in Bellator – it’s more who can put on the best performance,” Fernando Gonzalez told MMAjunkie on Wednesday. “The way me and (Brennan Ward) fight – it’s going to be exciting, man. I’m more excited because of the matchup.

“I don’t really predict what’s going to happen next. But I know, if I had a prediction: I would say, if me and Brennan go out there and give the performance we know we’re going to, either one of us could get the title shot next. I know it’s going to be me, because I’ve trained my ass off for this fight and I’m going to get my hand raised.”

Gonzalez (26-14 MMA, 6-1 BMMA) and Ward (14-5 MMA, 9-5 BMMA) will co-headline Saturday’s card at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, N.Y. The 178-pound catchweight bout airs on Spike, along with the rest of the main card, following prelims on MMAjunkie.

Ward enters the cage looking for recovery after Paul Daley’s massive flying knee put a first-round stop to their Bellator 170 fight in January. Gonzalez, in turn, comes into Saturday’s bout off an important Bellator 174 decision win over Brandon Girtz.

It hasn’t been all positives for Gonzalez, though. This past November at Bellator 165, he dropped a tight split decision to undefeated and hyped prospect Michael Page. That meant not only a halt to a five-fight victorious momentum, but also Gonzalez’s first Bellator loss.

Still, as far as negative outcomes go, he doesn’t seem all that broken up about that particular one.

In fact, it’s quite the opposite. Against a creative and feared striker in Page, Gonzalez believes he was able to showcase a much different part of his game. And, while he didn’t quite agree with how the judges scored it, he was happy with the way he performed.

“When he walked into the arena, they were cheering for him,” Gonzalez said. “When we walked out, they were cheering for me. I walked out of there feeling like I got the victory. (You) can’t see it the way the judges do every time. But my job is to go out there and fight. The way I felt, (was) that I won the fight.

“So going into (the Girtz fight), I went in there with a lot of confidence knowing that I made someone that was hyped up to be a killer, I made him look ordinary. Everything (Page) did to other people, he couldn’t do that to me.”

On Saturday, Gonzalez takes on an opponent who hasn’t gone the distance in any of his 14 Bellator fights. And, as it turns out, Gonzalez is not expecting to be the first to do the honors.

“Honestly, I go off of what they give me,” Gonzalez said. “(Ward) is aggressive, so it could easily be a knockout or a submission, just because I do notice he tends to gas after a couple of punches. If he doesn’t land it, he’ll try to get you to the ground.

“It could easily be a submission or me catching him on the ground or me catching him on the chin as he’s rushing in.”

To hear more from Gonzalez, check out the video above.

And for more on Bellator 182, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

With Henderson-Huerta headliner, Adam Borics vs. Manuel Gaxhja is Bellator 196's new co-headliner

Bellator 196 has not only a new headliner, but also a new co-headliner: Adam Borics vs. Manuel Gaxhja. read news >>

Bellator 196 loses one half of planned co-headliner

• a day ago

The Bellator 196 lineup shuffle continues as the event has lost its planned Adam Borics vs. Manuel Gaxhja co-headliner. read news >>

Go 'In Focus' with Bellator 196 headliner Benson Henderson on skipping cop career for MMA

• a day ago

Benson Henderson hasn’t had the greatest start to his Bellator tenure, but can start to turn it all around in a couple weeks. read news >>

Benson Henderson vs. Roger Huerta New Bellator 196 Headliner Following Injury | MMAWeekly.com

Following an injury to original headliner James Gallagher, Benson Henderson vs. Roger Huerta has been elevated to the Bellator 196 main event. read news >>

Benson Henderson meets Roger Huerta in new Bellator 196 headliner

Bellator 196’s headliner has received a makeover with Benson Henderson vs. Roger Huerta now set to close the April 6 card in Budapest. read news >>

Brent Primus injury sets up Michael Chandler vs. Brandon Girtz as new Bellator 197 headliner

It turns out Michael Chandler will have to wait longer for a second crack at Brent Primus. read news >>

Felice Herrig Believes a Win over Karolina Kowalkiewicz Should Earn Her a Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Felice Herrig hopes to extend her division best win streak at UFC 223 while also hoping that a win over Karolina Kowalkiewicz will finally put her in line to fight for a title read news >>

Bellator 196 headliner James Gallagher building highlight reel early in career

Bellator has pegged James Gallagher as one of its potential future stars. Next month, he’ll headline a Bellator show for the first time. read news >>

Check out Fernando Gonzalez's slick armbar win over Armando Servin at Bellator 195

The finishses on Bellator’s preliminary card continued with a slick submission almost out of nowhere. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28's Max Griffin: Mike Perry is 'a clown to me,' has confidence issues

Max Griffin believes in scientific measures of his ability to hang with Mike Perry and some less scientific ones. read news >>

Reports: Jimmie Rivera vs. Marlon Moraes targeted for UFC-Utica headliner

A bantamweight matchup between Jimmie Rivera and Marlon Moraes is targeted to headline an upcoming UFC Fight Night. read news >>

Dana White Believes Nick Diaz is Finally Ready to Fight Again | MMAWeekly.com

Nick Diaz might be ready to return to action. After a hiatus that stretches all the way back to 2015 when he faced former middleweight champion Anderson Silva, Nick Diaz may be looking to return to a read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters predict Josh Emmett vs. Jeremy Stephens at UFC on FOX 28

Who wins the UFC on FOX 28 headliner between Jeremy Stephens and Josh Emmett? Fellow fighters gave us their picks. read news >>

Jay Hieron: UFC's Yoel Romero has paid price for weight miss, title shot is fair

Should Yoel Romero’s weight miss before his KO of Luke Rockhold get in the way of a title shot? UFC vet Jay Hieron doesn’t think so. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28 results: Jeremy Stephens violently KOs Josh Emmett, calls for title shot

Jeremy Stephens ended Josh Emmett’s night in devastating fashion, then asked for a title shot at 145 pounds. read news >>

Urijah Faber: Dominick Cruz, Michael Bisping 'f*cking blind' to Jeremy Stephens' illegal knee

Urijah Faber believes Team Alpha Male pupil Josh Emmett got a raw deal at UFC-Orlando. read news >>

Search for: