#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Nate Diaz #GGG #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #Time To Shine

chuck-liddell-13.jpgIt’s been almost three years since UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell (21-8 MMA, 16-7 UFC) last appeared in the UFC’s octagon. And while “The Iceman” admits he struggled with the choice to walk away, Liddell now admits it was certainly the proper decision.

Liddell discussed the final days of his career at a recent fan Q&A session in Brazil, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) attended. The 43-year-old revealed that while UFC President Dana White had openly lobbied for Liddell to walk away from the sport, it was ultimately the former light heavyweight champ who decided he was done competing.

“I talked to my family, my coaches, and then I went to Dana,” Liddell said. “I talked to Dana. Dana and I actually went to dinner, and he thought I was going to ask him to fight again. I came to dinner, and I said, ‘You know what? I’m done.’ He was relieved.”

Liddell, whose retirement officially was announced in December 2010, remains a part of the UFC as the company’s executive vice president of business development. He said he made his decision to hang up his gloves several months before White made the public declaration at a pre-UFC 125 press conference but asked his employer to hold off on the announcement so he could adjust to life as an ex-fighter.

“Obviously [White] had made comments that he didn’t want me to fight again,” Liddell said. “He was relieved, and then I asked him to just hold off for about three months and give me some time to get adjusted to it before I have to talk to people about it because it was a hard decision for me.

“I love fighting, and I didn’t want to stop, but it was the right decision at the time between my coaches and my family.”

Liddell remains a huge fight fan and is often seen cageside at UFC events both domestic and abroad. He continues to actively train in the sport, as well, and admits he’s become fascinated with the jiu-jitsu side of MMA after spending his career as a noted knockout artist.

Sure, the itch to compete still lingers. But Liddell knows his days have passed – though he admits if fellow retiree Tito Ortiz returned to the sport, he might possibly be persuaded to give it another go.

“I’d always like to hit Tito,” Liddell joked. “That would always be fun, so that’s a possibility, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

“I think I made the right decision in retiring. Unless something changes, I’ll stay retired.”

Comments

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Demetrious Johnson chases UFC history, makes a questionable nickname change

Should we be concerned about Ray Borg missing weight? What about Demetrious Johnson’s new nickname? That and more in this Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Watch UFC 215 Live on MMAWeekly.com | MMAWeekly.com

Watch UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg live via FITE TV Pay-Per-View on Saturday, Sept. 9, at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Report: Fertitta Brothers No Longer Own Any Part of UFC after Selling Remaining Stake | MMAWeekly.com

Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta are officially out of the mixed martial arts business. The Fertitta brothers, who last year sold off a majority stake in the UFC for more than $4 billion to a conglomerate read news >>

What's with the Missing Mouse? (UFC 215 Embedded) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) On Episode 3 of UFC 215 Embedded, women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and challenger Valentina Shevchenko continue to sharpen the techniques they've been working on throughou read news >>

Paige VanZant: 'I Was Killing Myself for This Sport' Making Weight | MMAWeekly.com

Paige VanZant returns to the Octagon on October 7 on the UFC 216 main card against Jessica Eye in a women's flyweight bout. read news >>

Cain Velasquez praises Stipe Miocic's run as UFC heavyweight champ, expects 2018 return

Cain Velasquez, who is expecting his second child with his wife, has enjoyed extensive time with his family but is itching to fight again.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko feels great ahead of UFC 215 title match – and has dance moves to show it

Valentina Schevchenko is over Amanda Nunes’ withdrawal from their UFC 213 title encounter: “What happened two months ago was so far away.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'UFC 215 Embedded,' No. 3: How's this Amanda Nunes weight-cut going?

Go behind the scenes of fight week with all four title fight competitors of UFC 215.Filed under: Featured, UFC, Videos read news >>

Donald Cerrone: Unbeaten Darren Till 'might be more dangerous' than Robbie Lawler

Donald Cerrone knows nothing about UFC Fight Night 118 opponent Darren Till, which is one reason the matchup is so dangerous.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>