chuck-liddell-13.jpgIt’s been almost three years since UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell (21-8 MMA, 16-7 UFC) last appeared in the UFC’s octagon. And while “The Iceman” admits he struggled with the choice to walk away, Liddell now admits it was certainly the proper decision.

Liddell discussed the final days of his career at a recent fan Q&A session in Brazil, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) attended. The 43-year-old revealed that while UFC President Dana White had openly lobbied for Liddell to walk away from the sport, it was ultimately the former light heavyweight champ who decided he was done competing.

“I talked to my family, my coaches, and then I went to Dana,” Liddell said. “I talked to Dana. Dana and I actually went to dinner, and he thought I was going to ask him to fight again. I came to dinner, and I said, ‘You know what? I’m done.’ He was relieved.”

Liddell, whose retirement officially was announced in December 2010, remains a part of the UFC as the company’s executive vice president of business development. He said he made his decision to hang up his gloves several months before White made the public declaration at a pre-UFC 125 press conference but asked his employer to hold off on the announcement so he could adjust to life as an ex-fighter.

“Obviously [White] had made comments that he didn’t want me to fight again,” Liddell said. “He was relieved, and then I asked him to just hold off for about three months and give me some time to get adjusted to it before I have to talk to people about it because it was a hard decision for me.

“I love fighting, and I didn’t want to stop, but it was the right decision at the time between my coaches and my family.”

Liddell remains a huge fight fan and is often seen cageside at UFC events both domestic and abroad. He continues to actively train in the sport, as well, and admits he’s become fascinated with the jiu-jitsu side of MMA after spending his career as a noted knockout artist.

Sure, the itch to compete still lingers. But Liddell knows his days have passed – though he admits if fellow retiree Tito Ortiz returned to the sport, he might possibly be persuaded to give it another go.

“I’d always like to hit Tito,” Liddell joked. “That would always be fun, so that’s a possibility, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

“I think I made the right decision in retiring. Unless something changes, I’ll stay retired.”

Conor McGregor: 'UFC Can't Stop Me' From Boxing Floyd Mayweather | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor says the UFC can't stop him from boxing Floyd Mayweather and that, "nobody" is his boss. read news >>

Stop us if you've heard this one: UFC 208's Ian McCall loses an opponent – again

Ian McCall’s UFC comeback seems to get more and more depressing with each attempt.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Derrick Lewis appreciates referee's hesitation to stop UFC Fight Night 105 win over Travis Browne

Derrick Lewis did not ease up on Travis Browne after knocking him out in the main event of UFC Fight Night 105 on Sunday at Scotiabank Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.Filed under: News, UFC, V read news >>

Lewis vs. Browne Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 105

UFC Fight Night 105 provided the quintessential Derrick Lewis performance. Lewis took his time, soaked up some damage and then finished with absolute viciousness. A shot at gold may not be too far of read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Halifax

Forget that pesky pound-for-pound qualifier; Derrick Lewis is the hardest hitter in the entire UFC, full stop. On Sunday night, Lewis took a five-fight win streak and those two engine blocks on the e read news >>

Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC Fight Night 105, including vintage Michael Jackson and Bob Marley

See what the fighters of Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 event in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, went with as their backing tracks.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 Athlete Outfitting pay: Program payout total now exceeds $11 million

HALIFAX – Fighters from Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $127,500.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

Stomach issues aside, Derrick Lewis did the thing on Sunday night at UFC Fight Night 105. "The Black Beast" survived the first round where his opponent, Travis Browne, looked quite good. Then his inc read news >>

Thiago Santos: UFC Fight Night 105 stoppage wasn't early, came 'perfectly at the right time'

HALIFAX – Thiago Santos said he doesn’t understand those labeling his UFC Fight Night 105 win over Jack Marshman as an early stoppage.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gerald Meerschaert after UFC Fight Night 105 win: I believe in 'proving your worth'

HALIFAX – Although the beginning of his UFC career has been nearly flawless, Gerald Meerschaert knows there’s still a tremendous amount of work to do before he’s considered a truly relevant name at 1 read news >>