#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

Chris Weidman UFC Champion-478x270UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman was able to do what no other 185-pound fighter could before him, hand former titleholder Anderson Silva his first UFC loss in seven years of competition when the two fought at UFC 162 on July 6.

The 29-year-old New Yorker secured an early takedown in the title fight.  He attempted two submissions and knocked out the greatest of all time with a left hook in the second frame.  It was an amazing feat, but made more incredible by Weidman not being in top form for the fight.

“I think I went out there and worked hard and went for everything that I felt.  In the first round, I went for the heel hook and knee bar.  I didn’t get it, but I went for it.  I felt a little sluggish in there,” said Weidman during the UFC World Tour: Weidman vs. Silva 2 Press Conference in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

Prior to the UFC 162 showdown with Silva, Weidman was sidelined with a shoulder injury and the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

“I had a year off.  I had two back-to-back surgeries.  So I didn’t feel 100-percent, but I still felt good enough to get the win,” he said.

Weidman was well prepared and in excellent condition when he stepped into the cage to face Silva at UFC 162.  Conditioning and training were not the issue.  Weidman was experiencing ring rust.

“I was prepared to go five rounds in the last fight.  I didn’t necessarily feel tired.  I just felt off.  I felt a little sluggish, a little slower,” said Weidman.

With the time off, the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, and the nagging shoulder injury behind him, Weidman looks forward to the Dec. 28 rematch with Silva.

“I’m excited to have a full camp and be able to not have to nurse an injury and I’m excited for this next fight,” said the champion.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 7 months ago

Chris Weidman Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Tells TMZ He Wants to Fight Jon Jones Again

• a day ago

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier revealed he would be happy to fight Jon Jones for a third time. Jones was stripped of the title he won against Cormier at UFC 214 after the bout was rule read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan

• a day ago

We want your picks for UFC Fight Night 117 event in Japan, which features a new main event between Yushin Okami and Ovince Saint Preux.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Shogun' Rua reveals struggle to try to keep UFC-Japan spot after knee injury early in camp

• a day ago

Ex-UFC champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua apologized to the fans and opponent Ovince Saint Preux after pulling out of UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Report: Rematch between ex-UFC champ Jose Aldo and Ricardo Lamas targeted for December

• a day ago

According to Brazil’s Combate.com, former featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo will get his wish of a 2017 octagon return.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After first UFC knockout, Gilbert Burns wants lightweights to know he's dangerous everywhere

• a day ago

Gilbert Burns already had the titles to show for his grappling, but his walk-off knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh should also serve notice.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Spitz says his 24-second knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh was just how he drew it up

• a day ago

Luck had nothing to do with it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas Verbally Agreed to Meet in December | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

It looks like former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is nearing his return to the Octagon. Aldo is currently targeted to fight in December against top five ranked featherweight Ricardo Lamas in read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 medical suspensions: Newcomer Zu Anyanwu out indefinitely

• a day ago

One of the 20 fighters on this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 116 event is facing an indefinite suspension following his promotional debut. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Joe Rogan Thinks Conor McGregor Will Return to Boxing | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan thinks that Conor McGregor might not be done with his ventures in boxing. read news >>