#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Rizin 7 #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Kevin Lee #Pancrase

When Chris Weidman last stepped into the Octagon in January to face Demian Maia at UFC on Fox 2 he wasn’t nearly himself.

The New York native took the bout on extremely short notice and his biggest battle that weekend wasn’t against Maia or his world class Jiu-Jitsu skills. No, Weidman’s real fight was making weight just to get into the fight that Saturday night in Chicago.

To hear him tell it, Weidman says he performed at about 10-percent of his abilities, but the amazing part is he still won a unanimous decision over the former middleweight title contender.

So how good could Chris Weidman be when he has a full training camp to prepare for an opponent?

Well, everyone will find out when he gets a five round main event bout this Wednesday night against fellow top ten middleweight Mark Munoz.

Despite the fact that Weidman is undefeated as a pro fighter while sporting a perfect 4-0 record inside the Octagon, his name is rarely mentioned as a title contender to next face champion Anderson Silva.

Is it because Weidman isn’t good enough or doesn’t have the credentials? That’s very likely not the case. Or is it simply because he’s not shouting to the heavens that he deserves it?

“I see all these guys saying they think they deserve it and a lot of people think I deserve it too, and I think I kind of do too, but I’m not going to go out there and start strongly suggesting it because I’ve got a big fight with Mark Munoz and I’m in this fight to make a statement between me and him and that cage,” Weidman told MMAWeekly Radio prior to the fight.

“Once I make that statement that I feel like I’m ahead of the pack, if I’m able to make that statement then I think my performance will speak for itself. Then at that time I’ll come out and say I want Anderson Silva.”

Strangely enough, Weidman trains under former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra who could be described as one of the most vocal fighters in the history of the promotion. But when it comes to the former two time All-American wrestler, Serra’s been teaching him plenty of things to do inside the cage, but Weidman is his own man outside of it.

He’s more than confident that he can go toe to toe with anybody at middleweight, including champion Anderson Silva, but he wants to fight and prove that so no one can question it when he finally does get his shot.

“I’m very confident in myself and feel like I can be a world champion and I can beat all these top guys. This is my chance to prove it. I have no excuses not to win this fight, it’s all on me if I lose,” Weidman said.

As he steps into his first ever main event in the UFC, Weidman is taking on a very experienced veteran in Mark Munoz, who is also at the top of the list of potential title challengers.

A former NCAA champion wrestler himself, Munoz is as tough as they are built at 185lbs in the UFC, and that’s the exact kind of challenges Weidman wants.

Bring him the toughest, meanest, most battled tested veterans with all the confidence in the world. It will mean that much more when he gets to crush them.

“I want to go in there against another confident guy who really thinks they’re going to be able to beat me,” Weidman said.

“It’s going to drive me to try to break them.”

If he can break Mark Munoz on Wednesday night it’s going to be hard to deny Weidman has certainly earned his spot in the conversation for the top contender in the middleweight division.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Galleries

Chris Weidman Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Roy Nelson: Bellator 'Actually Loves MMA…Reminds Me of the UFC 10 Years Ago' | MMAWeekly.com

It's been eight years since Roy Nelson last competed in a promotion other than the UFC but on Saturday night he will officially make his debut with Bellator MMA. Nelson, 41, didn't exactly have the b read news >>

Max Holloway Met with UFC, Confident He Will Fight Again in 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

Following his TKO win over Jose Aldo in June, featherweight champion Max Holloway planned on meeting with the UFC to engage in negotiations for a new contract that would treat him as one of the compa read news >>

UFC-Japan broadcast plans set for FXX, including Alan Jouban's analyst debut

UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan this weekend will feature the in-studio debut of a new fight analyst.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Controversial Judge from Canelo vs. Golovkin Pulled from UFC 216 Duties | MMAWeekly.com

A scoring controversy surrounding the boxing match this past weekend between Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Gennady "GGG" Golovkin has resulted in a judging change for the upcoming UFC 216 card in Las Veg read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Trainer Says There's a '50-50' Chance She Fights in UFC Again

Ronda Rousey's trainer, Edmond Tarverdyan, told the MMA Hour on Monday that he believes the UFC superstar may fight again, giving her a 50-50 chance to return to the Octagon. "It's going to be her de read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping: Georges St-Pierre fight could be my last – win or lose

“There’s a lot of people saying, ‘Mike, you should retire,'” and Michael Bisping is giving it serious consideration.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Might Retire After Fighting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is considering retirement after he fights Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Why did UFC-Pittsburgh winner Olivier Aubin-Mercier ask for Charles Oliveira? Well, 'why not?'

Olivier Aubin-Mercier thinks getting a “little bit cocky” in the third round may have made his UFC Fight Night 116 encounter with Tony Martin harder than it needed to be.Filed under: News, UFC, Video read news >>

Controversial Canelo-GGG judge Adalaide Byrd's status in question for UFC 216 in Las Vegas

She came under fire for her lopsided 118-110 score for Canelo Alverez over Gennady Golovkin. The boxing super fight ended in a draw.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Check out the social media reactions from the winners and losers at UFC-Pittsburgh from this past Saturday, including ER visits.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>