#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Rizin 7 #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Pancrase #Kevin Lee

UFC-on-Fox-2-workouts-Chris-Weidman-081-460x270If UFC middleweight contender Chris Weidman had his choice to fight any fighter past or present, he would choose Anderson Silva.

Weidman will see his dream fight come to fruition on July 6 when he faces the middleweight champion in the main event of UFC 162 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.  It’s a fight he’s been training for his entire career.

“When I started MMA about four years ago, (Silva) was the champion at 185.  When I made the decision to go to 185, I had to believe I could beat the champion of the world, or there’s no reason for me to do this.

“So from the get-go, no matter who I was fighting coming out of Ring of Combat at the Tropicana in Atlantic City, I wasn’t only training to beat those guys who I was paired up against, I was training already at that point to beat Anderson Silva and become the best in the world,” said Weidman during a question and answer session prior to the UFC 159 weigh-ins on Friday.

“Now I’ve finally earned the opportunity to get that and I’m not going to let it slip through my fingers,” he continued. “I think I’ve got my dream match-up right here on July 6.  I really think I do.”

Weidman believes one of Silva’s best attributes is his ability to defeat opponents mentally before the fight ever begins.

“I think the best thing Anderson Silva does is mentally destroy people before they even get in the cage with him,” said the 28-year old New Yorker.  “Once you get in the cage with him, he does a great job of making you feel like you do not belong in this cage with me.  You’re terrible.  I’m the man.  You’re going to find a way out of out of this fight.”

Weidman doesn’t see that happening to him.

“I think the biggest thing is just – I’m very confident.  I know my skill set.  I’ve seen what Chael (Sonnen) has done to him.  I’ve seen his weaknesses and I think I can expose them again and look for a finish or a good performance,” he said.

Confidence, he believes, is the key.

“You’ve just got to be confident.  And you can say anything you want before the fight, but it’s all about when you touch those gloves do you still have the confidence, and I’m going to make sure I do.  It’s all mental.

“I really feel like, on paper, I’m a nightmare match-up for Anderson Silva.”

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 8 months ago

Chris Weidman Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Thunder Seven - Defining Yushin Okami

At UFC RIO on August 27th, history could be made as Yushin Okami faces longtime middleweight king Anderson Silva in an opportunity to become the first Japanese champion in UFC history. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Has New Weapons for Rose Namajunas | MMAWeekly.com

UFC strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk promises some new weaponry when she faces Rose Namajunas. read news >>

Video: Ex-champ Anderson Silva, Kelvin Gastelum face off for UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum face off for the first time ahead of UFC Fight Night 122 on Nov. 25. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Abdul Razak Alhassan faces Sabah Homasi at UFC 218 in Detroit

A pair of welterweight prospects will throw down at UFC 218 looking to rebound.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum faces 'zero, zero pressure,' will try to finish Derrick Lewis on mat at UFC 216

Former UFC heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum knows Derrick Lewis can’t match him on the mat, so he plans to take the fight there.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Glad Anderson Silva's Name is No Longer by His for UFC Record | MMAWeekly.com

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson etched his name in the history books on Saturday night in Las Vegas. In the UFC 216 co-main event, he submitted Ray B read news >>

Bryan Caraway Faces Luke Sanders at UFC Fight Night in Fresno | MMAWeekly.com

Following more than a year off due to injury, Bryan Caraway will make his long awaited return to the Octagon in Decmeber as he faces up and coming bantmaweight talent Luke Sanders at UFC Fight Night read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Report: UFC champ Max Holloway faces Frankie Edgar in UFC 218 headliner

Hawaii meets New Jersey in Detroit.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>