#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Takanori Gomi #Dong Hyun Kim

Chris Lytle lost his first election last week, but he’s not giving up the fight.

The UFC veteran finished second out of three candidates in a Republican primary for a seat in the Indiana State Senate. He had 30 percent of the vote, falling short of the 41 percent that supported Michael R. Crider.

“I didn’t quite get in, but I’ll live to fight another day, I guess,” Lytle told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “It was obviously very, very dirty. They didn’t want people like me in there. They did a lot to try to keep me out. It was a very eye-opening experience. It was very disheartening to see how things are really done on that level. I think as a country, as a state and everything, we’re in some serious trouble here.”

Lytle is known for his toe-to-toe wars in the Octagon, but he was stunned by the tactics he encountered in his first political foray. At least initially, he was leaning toward making this first election his last.

“They spent a lot of money and they used a lot of their tactics to try to keep me out,” Lytle said. “At first I was like, you know what? If I try and do it again, they’re just going to continue to do the same type of tactics. But the competitive side of me and everything, I don’t want to stop at this. … If we want to keep on business as usual, the status quo -- a politician gets in there and does nothing -- everybody’s got to withdraw or not engage. The only way to stop it is everybody has to step up and start running. Normal people, people who actually pay attention. So yeah, I’m going to run again.”

Although at times Lytle’s fight career was brought up against him, he doesn’t think it was a factor in the race.

“Most people have never heard of me,” he said. “I had to go and earn their votes based on what I would say. It had nothing to do with fighting. I’d say 90 percent of the people who voted didn’t even know I ever competed in fighting.”

What hurt, said Lytle, was the use of push polling. The former welterweight contender said voters in his district were called and led to believe things about him that weren’t true, like that he had once said the only reason he fought professionally was because he can’t hit his kids and he has to hit somebody.

“They were calling everybody in my district and telling them things like that,” Lytle said.

Negative campaigning aside, Lytle hopes to get more young people to vote the next time he runs.

“I’ve just got to get to places where I can get more people to vote,” he said. “The people who are UFC fans, they’re not usually voting in primaries. I’ll be honest with you. I’ve got to get those type of people to actually come out and vote. If I get those people to come out and vote, the 18- to 35-year-olds, I’ll dominate.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:36:55).

Comments

Ana Julaton Says Floyd Mayweather Hasn't Lost a Step at 40-Years of Age | MMAWeekly.com

If there's any question about whether or not Floyd Mayweather has lost a step after two years of retirement and turning 40-years of age, boxer and mixed martial artist Ana Julaton says absolutely not read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Calls out Conor McGregor After Floyd Mayweather TKO Victory

Khabib Nurmagomedov took to Instagram to call out Conor McGregor after the latter lost by technical knockout against Floyd Mayweather Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Saturday. McGr read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Calls out Conor McGregor After Floyd Mayweather TKO Victory

Conor McGregor lost to Floyd Mayweather, but partied like a winner post-fight

If Conor McGregor’s post-fight party is any indication, he’s not taking his loss to Floyd Mayweather all that hard.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Floyd Mayweather giving his word on retirement: 'Any guy that's calling me out? Forget it'

After reaching a historic 50-0 mark, Floyd Mayweather says UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor was his last opponent.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

How Can Conor McGregor Top the Floyd Mayweather Fight? How About UFC Ownership?

Lost in the clamorous rush toward last weekend's mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor was a potential blockbuster development in the relationship between McGregor and the UFC. F read news >>

Henry Cejudo Scores Big KO Over Wilson Reis to Remain in Title Contention (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Despite having lost his last two fights, Henry Cejudo immediately returned to title contention with a big knockout victory over Wilson Reis on Saturday. read news >>

Trading Shots: UFC 215 lost its main event, but how much did fans really care?

UFC 215 was supposed to be the event where Demetrious Johnson took a stab at UFC history with his 11th straight title defense. Thanks to Ray Borg’s “viral illness,” he didn’t even get a chance. But, read news >>

Felipe Arantes vs. Luke Sanders Scrapped from UFC Fight Night in Pittsburgh | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC Fight Night card in Pittsburgh this weekend has just lost a fight. Due to illness. bantamweight fighter Felipe Arantes has been force out of his bout against Luke Sanders in a fight that was read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116's Mike Perry not so subtly accuses Thiago Alves of ducking

Mike Perry is upset at opportunity lost by Thiago Alves’ withdrawal. But he’ll take it out on short-notice replacement Alex Reyes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>