Chris CulleyThe past year has been the most successful of featherweight “Urban Legend” Chris Culley’s career.

Most recently, Culley capped off a five-fight winning streak by taking the BAMMA USA featherweight championship against top prospect Jesse Newell on the promotion’s event in August, in a performance that was one of his strongest.

“I had a very game opponent (in Newell),” said Culley. “We knew he was going to be tough going into the fight, so we just did what we could in camp and covered all of our bases and stayed creative.

“I got to show some dominance, some technique that people haven’t seen before from me. So overall I liked the performance.”

Culley managed to do enough damage that when it came time for the fifth round, Newell wasn’t able to answer the bell. It’s a stoppage that Culley believes saved his opponent from further destruction.

“Towards the third round and fourth round, I really started landing a lot with really hard shots, so I think it was just smart coaching (on Newell’s team’s behalf to stop the fight),” said Culley.

“I personally felt he was down three rounds to one and I didn’t feel he had enough in the tank. I think if it would have gone to the fifth round, I think it wouldn’t have lasted very long. I think he could have endured more damage.”

Having alternated winning and losing streaks in the past, Culley told MMAWeekly.com that he feels like now he can maintain consistency thanks to changes he’s made of late in his fight preparation.

“It’s a testament to smart training,” he said. “Before, I wasn’t pushing myself as hard as I could, so I started taking other aspects of MMA more seriously; such as jiu-jitsu, grappling, wrestling and boxing.

“I started listening to my coaches rather than just doing it on my own and brought it all together. It’s been paying off.”

As for what’s next for Culley, maintaining his current winning streak against the toughest possible opposition is the most important thing for him going forward.

“To be honest, right now we’re taking a lot of calls, but we’re waiting on BAMMA and seeing who they match me up with next, and just playing it by ear,” he said.

“I went on a pretty crazy streak this year and have some buzz locally, so I just want to take smart fights and make sure that the fight is relevant and make sure I fight tough guys who are movers and shakers and make noise in the division.”

(Photo courtesy of www.bammausa.com)

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Francis Ngannou vs. Andrei Arlovski

Is Francis Ngannou ready for the next level of heavyweight opponent? The answer likely is: Oui. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Relive Jorge Masvidal's Backyard Fights vs. Kimbo Slice's Protege

This past Saturday at UFC on Fox 23, Jorge Masvidal put on the most impressive performance of his 14-year professional MMA career. His opponent, Donald Cerrone, had been knocked out only twice in his read news >>

Dana White promises extra cash for UFC on FOX 23's unofficial 'Fight of the Night'

At this past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event, the night’s four main-card winners were all deservedly presented with $50,000 “Performance of the Night” bonuses. But a pair of welterweights will also be read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 31: Shevchenko-Pena flip-flop, Masvidal makes big leap

This past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event in Denver saw some shifts in the balance of a couple divisions. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Felice Herrig full media scrum ahead of UFC Fight Night 104

HOUSTON – After an impressive “Performance of the Night” win this past summer, veteran strawweight Felice Herrig is getting back to business.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Decade-Long UFC Veteran Thiago Tavares Exits Promotion | MMAWeekly.com

After spending the past decade under the UFC banner, Thiago Tavares has inked a multi-fight deal with a Brazilian promotion. read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>

Mike Jackson to CM Punk: 'Let's see who the real can is'

Mike Jackson didn’t show up to this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event to push a fight with Phil “CM Punk” Brooks. He was just there to work.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>