#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Holly Holm #Fight Night Rotterdam #Demetrious Johnson #Anderson Silva

Chris CulleyThe past year has been the most successful of featherweight “Urban Legend” Chris Culley’s career.

Most recently, Culley capped off a five-fight winning streak by taking the BAMMA USA featherweight championship against top prospect Jesse Newell on the promotion’s event in August, in a performance that was one of his strongest.

“I had a very game opponent (in Newell),” said Culley. “We knew he was going to be tough going into the fight, so we just did what we could in camp and covered all of our bases and stayed creative.

“I got to show some dominance, some technique that people haven’t seen before from me. So overall I liked the performance.”

Culley managed to do enough damage that when it came time for the fifth round, Newell wasn’t able to answer the bell. It’s a stoppage that Culley believes saved his opponent from further destruction.

“Towards the third round and fourth round, I really started landing a lot with really hard shots, so I think it was just smart coaching (on Newell’s team’s behalf to stop the fight),” said Culley.

“I personally felt he was down three rounds to one and I didn’t feel he had enough in the tank. I think if it would have gone to the fifth round, I think it wouldn’t have lasted very long. I think he could have endured more damage.”

Having alternated winning and losing streaks in the past, Culley told MMAWeekly.com that he feels like now he can maintain consistency thanks to changes he’s made of late in his fight preparation.

“It’s a testament to smart training,” he said. “Before, I wasn’t pushing myself as hard as I could, so I started taking other aspects of MMA more seriously; such as jiu-jitsu, grappling, wrestling and boxing.

“I started listening to my coaches rather than just doing it on my own and brought it all together. It’s been paying off.”

As for what’s next for Culley, maintaining his current winning streak against the toughest possible opposition is the most important thing for him going forward.

“To be honest, right now we’re taking a lot of calls, but we’re waiting on BAMMA and seeing who they match me up with next, and just playing it by ear,” he said.

“I went on a pretty crazy streak this year and have some buzz locally, so I just want to take smart fights and make sure that the fight is relevant and make sure I fight tough guys who are movers and shakers and make noise in the division.”

(Photo courtesy of www.bammausa.com)

Comments

Reminder: MMAjunkie Radio on vacation today, but catch up on past episodes now

MMAjunkie Radio is off a few more days this week following an MMA-themed trip to visit U.S. troops but will return Thursday. Now is the perfect time to download and catch up on past episodes.Filed un read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Reminder: MMAjunkie Radio on vacation today, but catch up on past episodes now

MMAjunkie Radio is off today following an MMA-themed trip to visit U.S. troops but returns Thursday. Now is the perfect time to download and catch up on past episodes.Filed under: News read news >>

Michael Bisping Explains the Only Way He'll Stick Around After Fighting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping's career is coming to an end soon. The UFC middleweight champion has long addressed the possibility that he would be retiring from the sport sooner rather than later with only a coupl read news >>

UFC Middleweight Luke Rockhold Is the Heel Nobody Asked for

Luke Rockhold won a fight this past weekend. It was the first time he'd done that since late 2015, when he won the UFC middleweight title, and his first appearance since mid-2016, when he lost that s read news >>

Matt Brown Will Retire Following Diego Sanchez Fight | MMAWeekly.com

"The Immortal" is ready to call it a career. read news >>

What debut? Aaron Pico just hit the reset button on an again-promising career

Want to make people forget about your embarrassing debut? Send your next opponent crashing to the canvas.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

What Is Benson Henderson's Legacy After Bellator 183?

The Bellator career of Benson Henderson has been turbulent. He's enjoyed two title fights in two separate weight classes since jumping ship from the UFC in early 2016, but he lost them both. After hi read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See the social media reactions from fighters at this past Friday’s UFC Fight Night 117 card in Japan. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 183 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See the social media reactions from fighters at this past Saturday’s Bellator 183 card in San Jose. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>