Cheick Kongo at UFC 87Since making his UFC debut almost seven years ago at UFC 61, heavyweight Cheick Kongo has etched his name in the history of the world’s premier fighting organization with knockout authority.

Having one of the longest tenures of any fighter on the company’s roster, as well as having more heavyweight Octagon victories than UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Kongo has earned the reputation as one of the more difficult tests for aspiring big men looking to gauge their fighting mettle.

On Saturday at UFC 159 in Newark, N.J., the six-foot-four-inch French stand-up behemoth meets another credible test in everyone’s favorite bearded brawler, Roy “Big Country” Nelson.

A native Las Vegan, Nelson made his name in MMA over the years by having a “unique” physique coupled with a wild, haymaker approach to his fights.

Nelson, unlike some opponents Kongo has faced in the past, doesn’t tower in stature (he’s only six-feet tall) and certainly doesn’t offer much in the P90X department. But that hasn’t stopped Nelson from earning back-to-back first-round knockout wins over Dave Herman and Matt Mitrione.

With that in mind, on Saturday, when Kongo is staring down the cage at a figure that resembles a cast-off from “Over the Top” more than the stereotype of a professional fighter, he won’t be letting any illusions throw him off of his game.

“It’s the world of fighting. You’re always fighting a different type of body,” said Kongo in regards to Nelson’s less-than-athletic physique.

“When I faced Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, and different guys like that, I didn’t change, I just tried to adapt my style. That’s why you call us ‘fighter.’  Because we don’t care who we are going to face.

“The thing is, we’re fighting in the same weight class to fight an opponent, and whatever the body type, we need to be ready to face that because that’s our job.”

Part of the job also requires facing aggressive opponents.  But even in a world where aggression signs the paychecks, Roy Nelson is the Rupert Murdoch of check writing.

“His style is really good. He’s really good. He’s very impressive,” stated Kongo.

“I’ve never saw somebody facing people – except Mark Hunt – who went in there and said, ‘Okay, show me what you got, and I’ll show you what I got.’ That’s just, whoa. I have to make him flinch for that, and if I can’t, then I’m in trouble. “

With the 37-year-old’s career undoubtedly headed into the home stretch, if you’re looking for signs of Kongo slowing down, then you should look somewhere else. Kongo is well aware that now is the time to make a statement.

“If people think everyone can fight – no. If I have to fight, I have to win,” he said.

“It’s not a pleasure to come back with bruises, cut and everything. And of course you have to think of this: that’s a risky job. We make a choice and we take the deal.

“During this fight, no matter what’s going on, he’s a really good guy. He’s a really good fighter. I have nothing bad to say. He has a really good record, and I just want to be the next one to beat him. That’s it.

“If I have to be crazy during the bout – and he will – I’ll do it. I won’t refuse to fight; I’ll go straight away.”

Willis replaces Henrique, faces Tybura at UFC 208

Saturday's UFC 208 card at Barclays Center in Brooklyn is now complete, with the addition of a heavyweight fight between Poland's Marcin Tybura and Octagon newcomer Justin Willis. read news >>

Watch Tim Boetsch's Win Over Nick Ring from 2011 (UFC 208 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Tim Boetsch's UFC 135 win over Nick Rick from September 2011. Boetsch faces third-ranked Jacare Souza on the UFC 208 main card on Saturday. read news >>

Rashad Evans Faces Daniel Kelly at UFC 209 | MMAWeekly.com

Former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans will make his middleweight debut at UFC 209 against Australia's Daniel Kelly UFC officials announced on Tuesday. read news >>

Derek Brunson Says Anderson Silva's Losses are Due to 'Unfortunate Events' | MMAWeekly.com

Middleweight contender Derek Brunson faces former champion Anderson Silva in the UFC 208 co-main event with hopes that a win will put him back into title talk. read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2378 with former UFC champ Miesha Tate

Stream or download Monday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guest Miesha Tate.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Anderson Silva & Wyclef Jean

Wyclef Jean joins Jim and guest co-host Dan Soder in studio to discuss being an MMA fan from the beginning, training jiu-jitsu, Conor vs. Mayweather, and much more. Later, the great Anderson Silva ca read news >>

UFC's Alex Garcia wants to fight Colby Covington after botched fight booking

UFC welterweight Alex Garcia was supposed to fight Colby Covington this past June at UFC Fight Night 89. Ten days before the event, he told MMAjunkie Radio, he injured himself. But he’s still into th read news >>

Video: Before UFC Fight Night 105 main event, watch Travis Browne's KO win over Josh Barnett

It was December 2013 when Travis Browne knocked out Josh Barnett with elbows inside the first minute of Round 1 to notch his third win in a row.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Cezar Ferreira: 'I can break' Elias Theodorou and become elite

Cezar Ferreira, currently on a three-fight winning streak, is making the trek to Canada looking to break into an echelon of success he’s yet to experience in the 185-pound division.Filed under: News, read news >>

Ex-champ Georges St-Pierre and UFC reportedly agree to terms for return

Former longtime UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has reportedly agreed to terms on a new contract with the promotion.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>