#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Rizin 7 #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Kevin Lee #Pancrase

Cheick Kongo at UFC 87Since making his UFC debut almost seven years ago at UFC 61, heavyweight Cheick Kongo has etched his name in the history of the world’s premier fighting organization with knockout authority.

Having one of the longest tenures of any fighter on the company’s roster, as well as having more heavyweight Octagon victories than UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, Kongo has earned the reputation as one of the more difficult tests for aspiring big men looking to gauge their fighting mettle.

On Saturday at UFC 159 in Newark, N.J., the six-foot-four-inch French stand-up behemoth meets another credible test in everyone’s favorite bearded brawler, Roy “Big Country” Nelson.

A native Las Vegan, Nelson made his name in MMA over the years by having a “unique” physique coupled with a wild, haymaker approach to his fights.

Nelson, unlike some opponents Kongo has faced in the past, doesn’t tower in stature (he’s only six-feet tall) and certainly doesn’t offer much in the P90X department. But that hasn’t stopped Nelson from earning back-to-back first-round knockout wins over Dave Herman and Matt Mitrione.

With that in mind, on Saturday, when Kongo is staring down the cage at a figure that resembles a cast-off from “Over the Top” more than the stereotype of a professional fighter, he won’t be letting any illusions throw him off of his game.

“It’s the world of fighting. You’re always fighting a different type of body,” said Kongo in regards to Nelson’s less-than-athletic physique.

“When I faced Pat Barry, Mark Hunt, and different guys like that, I didn’t change, I just tried to adapt my style. That’s why you call us ‘fighter.’  Because we don’t care who we are going to face.

“The thing is, we’re fighting in the same weight class to fight an opponent, and whatever the body type, we need to be ready to face that because that’s our job.”

Part of the job also requires facing aggressive opponents.  But even in a world where aggression signs the paychecks, Roy Nelson is the Rupert Murdoch of check writing.

“His style is really good. He’s really good. He’s very impressive,” stated Kongo.

“I’ve never saw somebody facing people – except Mark Hunt – who went in there and said, ‘Okay, show me what you got, and I’ll show you what I got.’ That’s just, whoa. I have to make him flinch for that, and if I can’t, then I’m in trouble. “

With the 37-year-old’s career undoubtedly headed into the home stretch, if you’re looking for signs of Kongo slowing down, then you should look somewhere else. Kongo is well aware that now is the time to make a statement.

“If people think everyone can fight – no. If I have to fight, I have to win,” he said.

“It’s not a pleasure to come back with bruises, cut and everything. And of course you have to think of this: that’s a risky job. We make a choice and we take the deal.

“During this fight, no matter what’s going on, he’s a really good guy. He’s a really good fighter. I have nothing bad to say. He has a really good record, and I just want to be the next one to beat him. That’s it.

“If I have to be crazy during the bout – and he will – I’ll do it. I won’t refuse to fight; I’ll go straight away.”

Galleries

Roy Nelson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Thunder Seven - Defining Yushin Okami

At UFC RIO on August 27th, history could be made as Yushin Okami faces longtime middleweight king Anderson Silva in an opportunity to become the first Japanese champion in UFC history. read news >>

Report: UFC champ Max Holloway faces Frankie Edgar in UFC 218 headliner

Hawaii meets New Jersey in Detroit.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Max Holloway Faces Frankie Edgar in Main Event at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

The featherweight title will go up for grabs in the main event at UFC 218 as Max Holloway faces off with Frankie Edgar on Dec. 2 in Detroit. UFC officials confirmed the fight to ESPN on Tuesday. The read news >>

Abdul Razak Alhassan faces Sabah Homasi at UFC 218 in Detroit

A pair of welterweight prospects will throw down at UFC 218 looking to rebound.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bryan Caraway Faces Luke Sanders at UFC Fight Night in Fresno | MMAWeekly.com

Following more than a year off due to injury, Bryan Caraway will make his long awaited return to the Octagon in Decmeber as he faces up and coming bantmaweight talent Luke Sanders at UFC Fight Night read news >>

Fabricio Werdum faces 'zero, zero pressure,' will try to finish Derrick Lewis on mat at UFC 216

Former UFC heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum knows Derrick Lewis can’t match him on the mat, so he plans to take the fight there.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Has New Weapons for Rose Namajunas | MMAWeekly.com

UFC strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk promises some new weaponry when she faces Rose Namajunas. read news >>

Roy Nelson: Bellator 'Actually Loves MMA…Reminds Me of the UFC 10 Years Ago' | MMAWeekly.com

It's been eight years since Roy Nelson last competed in a promotion other than the UFC but on Saturday night he will officially make his debut with Bellator MMA. Nelson, 41, didn't exactly have the b read news >>

Bellator 183 pre-event facts: Roy Nelson moves to Bellator with several UFC records in hand

For more on the numbers behind the fights, check below for 30 pre-event facts about Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Preview: 3 Fights You Can't Miss from Japan Card

I come before you today not to sell snake oil. UFC Fight Night 117 is not a good card. The card, which happens from the venerated Saitama Super Arena in Japan and airs Friday night in the United Stat read news >>