#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nick Diaz #Darren Till #Michael Bisping #Anderson Silva #Holly Holm #Donald Cerrone

Charlie “The Spaniard” Brenneman  (15-3) walks into the Octagon at UFC on FX 3 this Friday night at the Bank Atlantic Center with nothing to lose.

His opponent, Erick Silva, has made big waves since bursting onto the UFC scene by displaying his breathtakingly fast knockouts.  However, the 31-year-old knows that with his wrestling skills he’s going to be able to push the fight.

Many feel that Silva’s just going to walk through Brenneman much the same way he’s finished 10 of his 13 opponents.  The underdog role, however, is all too familiar for The Spaniard, who ended Rick Story’s ride to the top by placing his talented wrestling skills at the forefront.

“If he’s the better man and proves me wrong, I’ll have no trouble saying that I was wrong and he was much better than I thought,” Brenneman told MMAWeekly Radio.

“We’ll find out real quick if his black belt judo and jiu-jitsu is the real deal.  I promise I will put that pressure on him early.

“Yeah, I mean to me those are the guys I want to fight a la Rick Story.  He hasn’t really proven that much in the UFC, however, if you hear the talk it sounds like he’s the next Anderson Silva. So I’d like to put a halt to that freight train.”

Brenneman knows if he is to able derail Silva’s momentum that he’ll be able to get some of the respect he deserves in the welterweight division. And for the recently married man, his fight against Silva this Friday at UFC on FX 3 has double the payout.

“He’s got such a big name, yet he hasn’t proven too much, so that’s like having cake and getting to eat it too.  I get to fight a big name who hasn’t really proved themselves and so that’s all the better because it’s better than fighting a big name who’s beats the crap out of everybody.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Claudia Gadelha has 'no excuses' for UFC-Japan loss, plans for time off

Claudia Gadelha plans to take a hiatus from competition following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 117. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Matt Brown: 'It's Time for Diego Sanchez to Retire and I Think I'm Going to Retire Him' | MMAWeekly.com

Matt Brown plans on two UFC careers coming to an end in November read news >>

Matchmaker Says Khabib Nurmagomedov Was Offered Tony Ferguson at UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby reveals plans were in motion for Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov in November read news >>

UFC Plans to Donation to Aid Victims of Las Vegas Shooting | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is planning to make a sizable donation to aid the victims of Sunday's tragic shooting in Las Vegas. read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216's Kevin Lee intends to prove he's not 'all talk' against 'weird dude' Tony Ferguson

Kevin Lee plans to be the one to back up all his trash talk when he steps in the octagon vs. Tony Ferguson at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Manager: Henry Cejudo will fight Sergio Pettis at UFC 218 despite injuries, lost Olympic medal in fire

Henry Cejudo still plans to fight at UFC 218 despite burning his foot and losing key personal items while escaping the California wildfires.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jordon Larson Heads into LFA 25 Shaping His Plans for UFC or Bellator

• 10 hours ago

Jordon Larson (8-3) will look to get a more productive win when he returns to the LFA on Friday to take on Kassius Holdorf (10-4) in a170-pound bout in Omaha. read news >>

Sam Alvey faces 'biggest weight cut of my life' ahead of UFC Fight Night 118

• 10 hours ago

Sam Alvey wants to book a dream fight with Brazilian legend Vitor Belfort next year, but he’ll have to complete a weight cut of more than 34 pounds to get there.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>