rousimar-palhares-wsof-9

WSOF welterweight champ Rousimar Palhares is back in the gym and looking to book a fight. And while he initially expected to face Jon Fitch in September, “Toquinho” says he’s now just waiting to hear when he can fight again.

“I am ready,” Palhares (16-6) told MMAjunkie in his native Portuguese. “I was supposed to fight Jon Fitch on Sept. 13, but I guess WSOF needed to change the date, so I am training and ready to fight him or whoever they want to put in there against me. I’m just waiting for them to set the new date.”

Palhares, who won the WSOF welterweight title with a submission victory over Steve Carl in March, was expected to fight this summer at WSOF 11, when the promotion held its first event on network television. But the Brazilian submission master pulled himself from the July 5 NBC-televised fight in order to care for his mom, who was set to undergo surgery for extreme thrombosis in her legs.

Palhares said that procedure went according to plan, and his mother is now making a fine recovery.

“My mom now is well, thank God,” Palhares said. “She is still wrapped up in bandages, but the operation was successful, and she is slowly getting better.”

And with his mom’s condition secure, Palhares has returned to the gym. He took some criticism for his decision to withdraw from the summer appearance, but the 34-year-old said he’d do it just the same if he had to go through it all over again.

“Absolutely,” Palhares said. “I am who I am and owe everything that I have to my parents. They will always come first. I do not understand how anyone could think different.”

So now Palhares waits on his assignment. He said the September date would have been suitable, but WSOF officials told him they have different plans. What exactly those are, he doesn’t know, but he assumes Fitch (26-6-1) is still the No. 1 contender.

“I think Fitch is a great fighter, and I think he deserves to fight for the title,” Palhares said. “But I’ll fight who ever they want.”

In a perfect world, that will come sooner rather than later, as he’d appreciate the opportunity to compete two more times in 2014. In the meantime, Palhares is just happy his mom is healthy, and now he’s ready to get back into the cage.

“I would like to thank all the support from WSOF, from my team, my friends fans and everyone who sent their prayers and wishes for my mom’s health,” Palhares said. “Thank you so much. My mother is everything to me, as anyone’s mom and dad should be.”

WSOF’s next event takes place Saturday at Las Vegas’ Hard Rock Hotel & Casino with “WSOF 12: Palomino vs. Gonzalez.”

For more on WSOF 12 and other upcoming WSOF events, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Jon Jones Likely to Face Daniel Cormier-Anthony Johnson Winner, Says Dana White

Jon Jones may have a nice gift waiting for him when he comes back from his yearlong suspension: a UFC light heavyweight championship fight. In an interview on the UFC Unfiltered podcast (h/t FoxSport read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

Why WSOF fighter Jake Shields stepped between a mob and a Trump supporter

WSOF welterweight Jake Shields said he couldn’t stand by as masked men beat a Donald Trump supporter during Wednesday’s protests at the University of California, Berkeley.Filed under: Featured, News, read news >>

WSOF 35 set for New York, adds two more championship matchups with Palmer vs. Harrison, Magomedov vs. Valiev

WSOF 35, previously announced for March 18, now hosts three championship fights and finally boasts an official location.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Marlon Moraes Vacates Belt; WSOF 35 to Determine New Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Among the three title fights to be contested at World Series of Fighting 35 in March will be a battle for the bantamweight belt vacated by Marlon Moraes. read news >>

Korean Zombi is Back with Knockout Power! (UFC Houston Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Chan Sung Jung, "The Korean Zombie," as he shakes off three years of ring rust to knock out Dennis Bermudez at UFC Fight Night 104. read news >>

'Korean Zombie' Is Back; Chan Sung Jung Knocks Out Dennis Bermudez (UFC Houston Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Chan Sung Jung stepped back into the Octagon for the first time on Saturday since August 2013, and sent a message to the division. "The Korean Zombie" is back. read news >>

Korean Zombie is Back with Knockout Power! (UFC Houston Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Fight Night 104 video highlights: Chan Sung Jung vs. Dennis Bermudez

“The Korean Zombie” is back. Check out the highlights of his return win inside. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bermudez vs. Korean Zombie Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 104

The Korean Zombie is back, ladies and gentlemen! After an incredibly long layoff, featherweight Chan Sung Jung overcame the odds and scored a gorgeous first-round knockout win at the expense of No. 9 read news >>