#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #Jon Jones #Michael Bisping #David Branch #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

chael-sonnen-jon-anik.jpgWe’ve heard this bit from Chael Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) before, but if the self-proclaimed “Gangster from West Linn, Oregon” is to be believed, he’s waiting to sign a new contract before his headlining bout with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua – and he’s apparently got a list of demands in hand.

“My contract with the UFC has expired,” Sonnen said during fan-driven Q&A session at this past weekend’s UFC Fan Expo. “So I went to Dana White, and I went to him with a list of my demands because he’s getting my contract together. He thought this was a gag, but I was being serious because it’s not all about money with me.”

Sonnen, of course, remains one of the UFC’s most outspoken characters. He frequently claimed in advance of his UFC July 2012 rematch with Anderson Silva that he hadn’t signed a bout agreement, but the contest went on exactly as planned. As it stands now, Sonnen is scheduled to headline the UFC’s Aug. 17 debut event on FOX Sports 1 against Rua.

But if you take Sonnen’s word, there may be a few hurdles to clear before that contest takes place. Sonnen said he communicated his requests to UFC President White via text message, and they include some rather interesting ideas.

“It says, ‘Dana, my manager said you guys talked and are getting a contract together for me,’” Sonnen explained. “‘I think you should be aware of my demands. First, Jello Biafra replaces Bruce Buffer as ring announcer. Secondly, every fight I’m in must be a No. 1 contender fight or a title match. If I lose, I get an immediate rematch until I win. No media can look me in the eye, or they will be removed from the room.

“‘No. 5: Headset legalized through the commission so I can call my own fights. No. 6: No longer will I walk to the ring. I need to be carried. No. 7: Keys to your least favorite Ferrari – I’m not asking too much. No. 8: I can Skype or FaceTime my fights if I feel like flying. No. 9 – and it’s non-negotiable: tell ‘GSP’ to stop being such a dick. I’ll return his truck when I’m done with it.’

“See, I’m not all about money, people. There’s more to these contracts. They’re very sophisticated.”

Sonnen’s tongue-in-cheek demands obviously drew laughs from the crowd, leaving the exact status of his contract with the UFC in the dark. However, Sonnen remains one of the sport’s biggest draws, and his on-camera work outside of the cage is valued as much as his performances in it. In short, it wouldn’t seem Sonnen is going to be a free agent anytime soon.

So does he actually need to sign a new deal? As with everything the 36-year-old claims, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

“First thing to remember is when you answer a question, you are not under oath,” Sonnen said. “I don’t answer questions. I handle questions. That’s very important to know.

“Secondly, don’t ever apologize for anything. You’re a grown up. If it comes out of your mouth, stand by it.”

“UFC on FOX Sports 1 1: Shogun vs. Sonnen” takes place Aug. 17 at Boston’s TD Garden. The evening’s main cars airs on FOX Sports 1 following preliminary bouts on the new all-sports channel, as well as three prelims that stream on Facebook.

For the latest on UFC on FOX Sports 1 1, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Chael Sonnen and Jon Anik)

Galleries

Chael Sonnen Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

Heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic didn't know UFC planned Jon Jones fight, wants better contract

Stipe Miocic simply wants to get paid what he feels is right as the UFC heavyweight champion.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

MMAjunkie's 'Knockout of the Month' for August: A kick that earned a UFC contract

Here are the five nominees and winner of MMAjunkie’s “Knockout of the Month” award for August 2017.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC contract winner Lauren Mueller on how failed 'TUF 26' bid helped her be ready for DWCS 8

Lauren Mueller had only three pro bouts when she got the call for Dana White’s Contender Series. But that doesn’t takes from her confidence.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jose Aldo Wants to Finish Fights in UFC Contract to Start Boxing, Coach Says

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo may soon follow in the footsteps of Conor McGregor and take his talents to the boxing ring. "He’s training boxing because he has this dream of competing in read news >>

Lopez completes destiny with UFC contract

Benito Lopez fought the fight of his life on Aug. 22, but even with that gritty 3-round split decision on the 8th week of the Contender Series, Lopez didn’t know if it was enough to earn a UFC contra read news >>

Sam Sicilia 'felt really heard' during Bellator contract negotiations, aims to start winning again

If contract negotiations were any indication, Sam Sicilia believes he’s going to settle in just fine with Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Watch Sean O'Malley's Knockout Win That Earned Him a UFC Contract (Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

See the fight from Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series that brought Dana White to his feet and earned Sean O'Malley a UFC contract. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117's Ovince Saint Preux didn't blink at switch to Yushin Okami

• a day ago

Ovince Saint Preux’s first thought when he heard he’d be fighting Yushin Okami at UFC Fight Night 117 was something like, “Oh yeah, that guy.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch the 15-Second KO That Earned Karl Roberson at UFC Contract | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

See the fight and spectacular finish that earned Karl Roberson a UFC contract on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series! read news >>

DWCS 8 UFC contract winner Matt Frevola: 'When I hit people, they fall'

New UFC contract winner Matt Frevola has a very simple outlook on his fights: “When I hit people, they fall.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>