Just a few weeks after letting the world know his UFC deal had expired, Chael Sonnen has a new contract. And a new training base. And perhaps a return to his former weight class.
The two-time middleweight title challenger and recent light heavyweight title challenger on Tuesday revealed via his co-hosting chair on “UFC Tonight” on FUEL TV that he has signed a new five-fight deal with the promotion.
Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) returns to action next month when he headlines UFC Fight Night 26 (formerly UFC on FOX Sports 1 1) against Mauricio Rua at TD Garden in Boston.
Earlier this month at a fan Q&A session at the UFC Fan Expo, part of UFC 162 in Las Vegas, Sonnen said his deal was up.
“My contract with the UFC has expired,” Sonnen said at Mandalay Bay Convention Center. “So I went to Dana White, and I went to him with a list of my demands because he’s getting my contract together. He thought this was a gag, but I was being serious because it’s not all about money with me.”
But Sonnen, known for a certain level of playfulness in his interviews that often causes eyebrows to be raised wondering about his comments’ legitimacy, left the crowd wondering if he really did need to sign a new deal – or if he was just in character.
Part of the demands he told the Fan Expo crowd was part of his conversation with White included the keys to White’s “least favorite Ferrari. … See, I’m not all about money, people. There’s more to these contracts. They’re very sophisticated.”
But apparently the contract situation was legit – and so, too, is Sonnen’s preparation for Rua. He also revealed on Tuesday night that he has moved his training camp to California, where he’ll be training at Reign MMA under head coach Mark Munoz. After his fight against “Shogun” in Boston, Sonnen said on “UFC Tonight” he plans to return to middleweight.
Sonnen in April at UFC 159 was stopped in the first round by Jon Jones in a light heavyweight title fight that came on the heels of the two coaching opposite each other on Season 17 of “The Ultimate Fighter” on FX. It was the second straight title fight for Sonnen, who at UFC 148 in July 2012 lost his rematch to middleweight champ Anderson Silva in Las Vegas.
(Pictured: Chael Sonnen)view original article >>
Conor McGregor steps into the biggest fight of his life on Saturday night, but he's already revealed a timeline for his UFC return. read news >>
UFC competitor Ed Herman had a tough day at the office. The veteran light heavyweight and middleweight fighter showed off a finger injury on Tuesday that is quite graphic and definitely not for the f read news >>
UFC President Dana White said the plan was for Jon Jones to fight heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic at UFC 218 before Jones’ failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Ex-UFC champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua apologized to the fans and opponent Ovince Saint Preux after pulling out of UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
According to Brazil’s Combate.com, former featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo will get his wish of a 2017 octagon return.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Gilbert Burns already had the titles to show for his grappling, but his walk-off knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh should also serve notice.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Luck had nothing to do with it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
It looks like former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is nearing his return to the Octagon. Aldo is currently targeted to fight in December against top five ranked featherweight Ricardo Lamas in read news >>
One of the 20 fighters on this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 116 event is facing an indefinite suspension following his promotional debut. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan thinks that Conor McGregor might not be done with his ventures in boxing. read news >>