#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler #Dominick Cruz

Chael Sonnen may have lost Saturday night at UFC 159, but he is far from a beaten man.

The recent light heavyweight title challenger was dominated by reigning champion Jon Jones in their April 27 headliner, falling in a first-round technical knockout at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. Though speculation surfaced following the bout that Sonnen might hang up his gloves for good, the 36-year-old recently silenced those rumors during his Tuesday appearance on “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

“I’ll fight at 205 [pounds]. I’m not retiring,” Sonnen said. “I have a lot of goals, and I’m not going to reach them if I retire.”

Sonnen found himself on the defensive from the opening moments of his clash with Jones, as the champion closed the distance and worked from the clinch while mixing in takedown attempts.

“This was like getting into a bear cage. This guy was a monster of a man,” said Sonnen. “We weighed in at the same size the day before, and I don’t know how that was possible. As far as the match went, I got beat up.”

Jones put Sonnen on his back three times in the opening stanza and managed to hold him there near the end of the round, when “Bones” unloaded with a barrage of punches and elbows that forced referee Keith Peterson to halt the contest.

“I was going to have to grind him down. I could see he poses a lot of problems. He’s big, he’s strong, and he’s got the wing span of a radioactive condor,” said Sonnen. “I knew he’d take me down, but I never thought that he could take me down repeatedly. That was a surprise. And the fact that he tried so quickly, I was thrown off a little.”

Unbeknown to Jones in the midst of record-tying fifth consecutive title defense, he had actually suffered an open fracture dislocation to his left big toe during the bout. Should Sonnen have survived that first-round onslaught, the championship likely would have changed hands due to Jones’ injury, resulting in a technical knockout win for Sonnen.

“Diplomatically, you don’t ever want to win that way,” said Sonnen. “The ones that hurt are the ones you’re supposed to win and then you blow it. But if it was given to me, I would have grabbed that belt, held it up, grabbed the mic and told the crowd the golden rule is ‘he with the gold rules,’ and I would have walked out of that place and never looked back.”

With the Jones defeat now behind him, Sonnen has his sights set on another veteran in former Pride Fighting Championships titlist Wanderlei Silva.

“Wanderlei called me out before, but the fight never made sense. Now it does,” said Sonnen. “I’m not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei straighten this thing out once and for all. Wanderlei pulled a dirt bag move on me one time. He said something to me that I couldn’t hear and then put it on YouTube with subtitles because he knew I couldn’t understand it and called me out. If you’re a fighter, that doesn’t fly. You must respond to him, and I’m ready to respond to you, Wanderlei.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Wanderlei Silva Fights

• 3 months ago

Chael Sonnen Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Jessica Andrade beats up Claudia Gadelha in bloody battle

Claudia Gadelha only had lost to strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk before Friday. Then Jessica Andrade came into her life. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Relive Fabricio Werdum's UFC 180 KO of Mark Hunt (Fight Flashback) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Fabricio Werdum defeat Mark Hunt for the UFC heavyweight interim title at UFC 180. read news >>

Kevin Lee: Champ Conor McGregor has lost 3 of 4, got 'outwrestled' by 40-year-old boxer

UFC 216 headliner Kevin Lee is doing all he can to lure Conor McGregor into a UFC lightweight title-unification match.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216 fighters carry on with heavy hearts in wake of Las Vegas mass shooting

The hope among UFC 216 fighters is that the event serves as an escape to help the city heal during a dark time.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Las Vegas Massacre Leaves Fabricio Werdum with a Heavy Heart at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

In the wake of the tragic Las Vegas shooting, Fabricio Werdum expressed how heavy his heart is feeling as he prepares for Derrick Lewis. read news >>

Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz Scrapped from UFC 216 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 216 has lost a fight just over 24-hours away from the event. Lightweight fighter Nik Lentz has been forced out of his scheduled fight against former teammate Will Brooks and the matchup has now b read news >>

UFC Donating All Profits from Vegas Strong T-Shirts | MMAWeekly.com

In the wake of the recent tragedy in Las Vegas, UFC has released special "Vegas Strong" t-shirts and is donating 100-percent of the profits. read news >>

Dana White: UFC 216 to Host More Than 1,500 First Responders and Several Shooting Victims | MMAWeekly.com

In the wake of the horrific Las Vegas shooting last weekend, UFC 216 is set to host more than 1,500 first responders and several of the shooting victims. read news >>

Ray Borg: 'Sneaky' UFC champ Demetrious Johnson was like 'fighting my future self'

Ray Borg was humble in defeat following his wild submission loss to UFC champ Demetrious Johnson at UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>