#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

Chael Sonnen knows exactly what he will be up against on Saturday night.

Whereas Sonnen was reluctant to say anything complimentary about longtime middleweight champion and top pound-for-pound talent Anderson Silva prior to his encounters with “The Spider,” Sonnen has openly praised light heavyweight king Jon Jones ahead of their UFC 159 headliner.

While many have pined for a Silva-Jones super-fight in recent times, Sonnen believes that Jones should be regarded as the superior combatant.

“Here’s the reality with Anderson: I stomped that guy. You can pick up his little arm as many times as you want and call him the winner, but the fact is I whipped his ass for 30 minutes,” Sonnen said during Monday’s media conference call. “He got the jump on me for less than 30 seconds. He never knocked me down; I fell down. Anderson’s the best pound-for-pound, but I’m the best round-for-round.

“I’ve got three 10-8 rounds in my entire career, and they’re all against Anderson Silva. If you think Jon and Anderson are close, I will run through Jon because I ran through Anderson. I don’t think they’re close. I think Jon is considerably better than Anderson. Sometimes I hear I don’t deserve this fight or I’m not the right guy, but then I hear Anderson could beat [Jones]. You’ve got to be kidding me. I stomped Anderson Silva twice.”

In Jones, Sonnen must now face a 25-year-old champion whose only career loss came via controversial disqualification. “Bones” responded to that 2009 setback by winning his next eight fights, capturing the light heavyweight title from Mauricio Rua two years ago and defending the belt successfully four times so far.

During Monday’s call, Jones was asked to explain how it would feel to fight in his home state of New York should MMA become legal there. Jones stated that it would mean a lot to him to walk in the footsteps of revered pugilists like Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson and compete at Madison Square Garden -- the venue Jones called the Mecca of fighting.

Later, Sonnen used Jones’ examples of fistic greatness to illustrate his own opinion of the current UFC light heavyweight champion’s abilities.

“As great as Jon is, I don't think he understands how good he is. For him to pay tribute to Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali earlier was a very nice thing for him to do. The reality is Jon Jones could up beat Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali in the same day,” said Sonnen. “When he says he wants to be the best ever -- news flash buddy, you are the best.

“As far as tying Tito Ortiz [in successful light heavyweight title defenses], maybe Tito Ortiz had a couple more wins, but he didn't have the competition you’ve faced,” Sonnen continued. “I’m not going to degrade Jon or what he’s done. He’s a world champion. He’s the best in the weight class, and he’s the best the weight class has ever seen. So, yeah, there's a lot of pressure. This is a tough guy in a tough environment. That's the sport.”

Though Sonnen and Jones traded barbs last fall after initially being cast against each other as coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 17, the two co-existed cordially during the show’s taping and focused on the development of their respective teams. Though Sonnen admitted that his opinion of the champion was altered quickly after interacting with him face-to-face, that development has not stifled Sonnen’s desire to walk out of the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., with championship gold around his waist.

“As far as my perception of Jon, it changed in about 30 seconds. He's a good guy. He’s a very nice guy. I hear people that insult him a lot, but this guy is a world champion. This guy’s achieved what everybody else has dreamed of. I think people should copy Jon more than attempt to correct him,” said Sonnen. “He cared a lot about his team. He took coaching very seriously and he was on time every time. He inspired a bunch of guys who really needed it. I cared about every one of those guys, whether they were on Jon’s team or mine. I got to know all the fighters, and they looked up to him, and he was there for them. I think he should be credited for that. He's a nice person. As far as a competitive standpoint, I think I can beat him.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Chael Sonnen Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

Chael Sonnen rips Jon Jones, who he suspected of cheating, after failed drug test

Former opponent Chael Sonnen provided some blunt analysis of Jon Jones’ situation after the UFC champ’s second failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Anti-Doping Expert Indicates There's a 99.999-Percent Chance Jon Jones Had Banned Substance in System | MMAWeekly.com

Jeff Novitzky, UFC vice president of athlete health and performance, explains what Jon Jones could face if his anti-doping violation proves true. read news >>

From 'Rumble' Johnson to 'Big' John: Everyone has a take on Jon Jones' failed drug test

Everyone has an opinion on UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones’ most recent drug test failure stemming from his UFC 214 victory over Daniel Cormier. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Knockout Radio Live: Mayweather vs. McGregor and Jon Jones Drug Test Failure | MMAWeekly.com

Tune in Wednesday at 3:30 pm ET, for Knockout Radio LIVE! as the crew discusses Mayweather vs. McGregor and Jon Jones' latest failed drug test. read news >>

Jon Jones' manager writes blistering Facebook post vowing to stand by him after failed drug test

“The amount of hate that everyone has towards Jon Jones without due process is beyond me.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White reveals plans for Jon Jones vs. Stipe Miocic at UFC 218 before failed drug test

UFC President Dana White said the plan was for Jon Jones to fight heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic at UFC 218 before Jones’ failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson 'sad,' but 'not surprised' by Jon Jones' latest positive test

Alexander Gustafsson called Jon Jones’ second failed drug test sad and thinks Jones should hang up his gloves if the findings are confirmed.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Says Jon Jones Just Can't Get Out of His Own Way | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will have the opportunity to make a defense after he tested positive for steroids following his win over Daniel Cormier last month but the damage done publicl read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: On Jon Jones' legacy, Daniel Cormier's new/old title and Conor McGregor's UFC leverage

In the latest Twitter Mailbag, we look at Jon Jones’ latest drug test failure, Daniel Cormier and leverage for Conor McGregor with the UFC.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier's coach: Jon Jones is MMA's Lance Armstrong if proven guilty of cheating

Javier Mendez if he could speak to Jon Jones directly: ‘I don’t think I’d say anything to him; he is who he is.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>